.22 versus .45

This is a discussion on .22 versus .45 within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't think I can add anything new, but IME, rimfire ammunition is not reliable enough for serious duty. Rimfire primers are junk (relatively). Others ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: .22 versus .45

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I don't think I can add anything new, but IME, rimfire ammunition is not reliable enough for serious duty. Rimfire primers are junk (relatively). Others have mentioned it. This alone rules out your Sig, before any further consideration.

I'm guessing you have ruled out a suppressor for fear of looking like a hit man in front of a jury?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    OP : I have one question, simple one. If your life is truly in danger and threat of imminent death (that you want to stop), do you really think you will get a 2nd chance ? Best to use what you plan to use, right off the top.... because there are usually NO 2nd chances.
    You're correct, I don't expect to get a second chance. The original post was just a question that happened to crawl into my mind and I figured it was relevant enough to ask.

To stanislaskasava's question about having ruled out a suppressor, most certainly not.

Again, thank you all kindly for your replies. Got a lot of answers that I hadn't considered and some that I had.

.22 vs .45

My wife has a 22. with hp rounds for HD. When I am at home, a 45 with hp ammo for HD, with her as a backup. We are still new at having guns in our home but the .22 gives her some security.

I know that she will move to bigger gun with more time!

Quote Originally Posted by Teufle View Post
    I imagine how reading the title will look, so let me get to the question I have .
    I was like.."Is this a joke?" lol

But I think 11 rounds of 22 in a guy will get you in more trouble in court than 1 round of 45.

And as far as stopping power on a 22. I think it almost like luck of the draw. People have been peppered with em and lived or they just bounce of guys and then there has been people killed by a single 22 shot.I don't get it.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    The link escapes me atm, but I read somewhere that Israeli air marshalls (or their equivalent) use .22 LR. These are folks that expect to deal with terrorism on the regular, but they use a .22 LR. One story in particular told of one air marshall dispatching three terrorists with one magazine. How did he do it? Training. Before every shift the air marshals have to qualify 100% on their rigorous test. So if you're gonna use .22 you'd better be practicing. It's cheap, accessible, and can get the job done. A head shot from a .22 will kill someone just as dead as a .45 acp and look just the same in court.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

.22 vs .45

My wife has a 22. with hp rounds for HD. When I am at home, a 45 with hp ammo for HD, with her as a backup. We are still new at having guns in our home but the .22 gives her some security.

.45 acp for sure.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links