Stashing firearms around the house-Practical or Paranoid?

This is a discussion on Stashing firearms around the house-Practical or Paranoid? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet Strengthen your door jams and get good deadbolts. Make it so that your door can't be kicked in, which most easily ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stashing firearms around the house-Practical or Paranoid?

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Strengthen your door jams and get good deadbolts. Make it so that your door can't be kicked in, which most easily can. Then, while BG takes 3-4 tries to break in(if he can), you have time to retrieve your weapon.

And don't open your door if you don't know who's outside.

I can't see having guns stashed everywhere. Too much risk for kids, etc. and seems too much like some Bourne Identity movie.
    Metal security doors are not expensive and open to the outside. They cannot be kicked in. My wife wanted them when we saw them at a friend's house.

No one has ever tried to kick our doors in or force an entry, but they are a comfort.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I carry when I am at home. I follow the late Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper's advice: "Keep it on your person or lock it up...compromises are pointless." I know this may not work for all, but it is what works for me....
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

i have an old holster atached to the side of my recliner within arms length and i keep a hd shotgun in the bedroom closet. I have 2 handguns stached around my gun room whenever im in there handling anything... so in my opinion its a good idea.
    When it comes down to life or death, I choose life. Help promote defensive carry and gun ownership...

I keep mine holstered until I go to bed,then it's on the night stand beside my Mossberg 930 12 gauge
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I carry my old S&W 36 all waking hours. I do have a 870 stashed (no round in chamber) in the bedroom where you would have a very, very hard time finding it.

If children are not in the picture I don't see anything wrong with having a few stashed in strategic, well hidden locations. My wife does not carry at home so she can get to her 228 or my snub 19 if needed. If someone really wants your guns in the safe they Will get them, given enough time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A dog and a alarm system will keep 99% of the BG's out of your home. You can live in the nicest neighborhood and still be victimized.

Here is my first layer of protection, followed by a ADT alarm system then me and the wife with our firearms.

I sleep good at night and am relaxed during the day!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Holster your handgun and keep it on you at all times. That's the only way to make sure you have access to a weapon when you need it immediately. There are a lot of good and comfortable holsters - just search the site.

Also - don't open the door to just anyone. Maybe invest in an intercom or talk through the door. There are also door stops that go behind the door and into the ground which let you open it slightly but not all the way.

A dog is a big help too - most people don't want to deal with a barking and possibly vicious dog.

I wouldn't look at the issue in terms of stashing, but in terms of:
    - how can I access my firearm quickly?
    - how can I secure my firearm against unauthorized access?
    A holster on yourself solves both of those problems. Hiding a gun in your couch cushion - solves it the first part if you happen to be lying on your couch while someone busts down the door, but fails if someone breaks in while you're out or if a friend/relative comes in and goes through the couch looking for the remote.

The nice thing too about having a holstered and concealed handgun is that if you want to leave the house, you can and you don't need to do anything extra.

I keep a 1911 on my hip all day, everyday. I have an AR15 with a loaded magazine but an empty chamber in my changing room/closet. We have what you could call a "safe room", it's a 12x15 walk-in closet off of my office with a slightly reinforced door.. It has two cell phones that are no longer in service (all cell phones still can dial 911) a couple Surefire flashlights, a small gun safe, a fire extinguisher and a couple large cans of Pepper Spray.

I work out of my house most days and my wife takes care of the kids (4 1/2 years and 4 1/2 months). We don't really have a set plan that everyone goes there if something goes bad, the one time I was in a situation that bad, it happened so fast there wouldn't have been much time to get anywhere.

In my opinion, with children or not, I don't think it's the best idea to stash weapons around the home. Keep the safe unlocked if you'd like, keep a handgun on you if possible (you get used to it if you commit to it for a couple of trial months) which I do, or maybe keep a handgun or rifle in the bedroom out of reach and sight. I have an AR15 in the closet in our bedroom, but it's mounted on the wall next to the door, behind some clothes that are hanging. I can get it with no effort in the dark, but it's not noticeable.

I think the most important thing for everyone, weapons in the house or not, is to know the weak points in your house and fix it! It's worth the money for your safety. Reinforce the doors and windows, don't leave ladders or anything that you can climb on outside, especially under any windows or 2nd story balconies, set your alarm (amazing how many have them installed and rarely set them), invest in some motion sensors, get some cheap wireless cameras that you can view from the internet and your wireless phone. A lot of this can be done even in rental properties, so there's no real excuse not to do these things. You can spend $500 or $50,000 on this stuff, but even the cheapest options still work well.

and....DO NOT open the door for ANYONE you do not know. If all of this is done properly, there's a good chance we won't need the firearm that's on our hip!

Be safe everyone and Happy Holidays!!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Cannot be overstated. If there are children in the house this is a very bad idea. It is amazing how children will find just about anything, anywhere unless it is placed in an almost impossible place, which means it is almost impossible for you also. No children living at home or visiting with relatives then have at it. Be sure, when and if children are present, all bets are off--find um all and secure them from kids.

Wink

Children absolutely change things considerablly but there are ways to be secure with them. I did without some of my best hd schemes while my two were growing up but now they are out , both are cops and i'm armed to the teeth.
    Paranoid ? No way is someone to be considered paranoid if they choose to scatter the eggs instead of leaving them in one basket for the weasel to find. Your not paranoid if the possibility does exsist .
    If you just take the time to sit back with a clear head and "visualize" scenerios in your homes layout,you can fight the fight over and over until it's trained into your memory as if it has happened already...God forbid ! Think like the bad guy to find your weak spots. My wife says" i'm in another world" I guess she means i'm visualizing.
    I always win in my visualizations. lol
    Actually ,serious visualization technique is used in many professions. Pro sports , crime fighting and many others. It's a good way to get ready for something that in this case you hope never happens.
    Yup , i do scatter my tools around in a very calculated fashion as to get the job done quick and efficiently. With a little war ning from my canine and my family going into "emergency scenerio thinking mode" we should be ok. It's all well thought out and involved but it offers the best chance to repell home invasion , push ins or attempted break ins. It's the "push in" that most wives and basically everyone is most vulnerable to approaching the key hole. Thats a hard one to work out if there are to many hiding spots around your front door. My homes layout is condusive to my success in that particular situation. Nothing is to minor when it comes to your families safety. Thin out the hedges a bit or put up a fisheye mirror here or there. You'll be much safer for having thought of it. Paranoid? who cares what people think anyway?
    Without my tools scattered carefully i have a weak defense. My glock 30 is always on my person. Home or out. In the shower ,it is never out of immediate reach. An early warning system like a canine and a good alarm is a must. And i live in a great area ,imagine how long this post would have been if i still lived in brooklyn...

Just one more thing about actual weapons... Carefull with those AR's. They are awsome to hold perps off at a distance with but can go through concrette. Even 223 can be to fast in a dwelling. God help the neighbors if things get real crazy. I'm just saying , my benelli m4 or 870 is a little less likely to kill a friendly. I do love AR's though. Always have. For hd ,i alternate a slug and 00 with the hope i never send rounds out a window. I just hope my nieghbors are'nt AR lovers. They do get the job done for sure.

Something my old Hapkido instructor used to tell us was while at home, always pretend there is a perp right around the corner and continue to run through your head the different possiblities of defensive and evasive manuevers. Doing this in time will train your reflexes and your mode of thinking in a "panic" situation. Something else i do often is while sitting in your chair watching tv, do very fast spinning moves with your hands in various directions. This is a good cardio exercise but it also trains your secondary muscles and fast twitch fibers for quick relexes. My dad taught me this when i was young and i have extremely fast hands now. Some food for thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

VIP Member
    There are certainly documented stories that prove a stashed weapon or multiple weapons has saved lives... but there's so many variables for so many different people, situations and living conditions. I do not think doing so makes someone paranoid but I don't personally stash weapons. A "stashed weapon" can also equal a "stolen weapon". I prefer that my weapon is on or with me at all times. The ones that are not on or with me are locked up in a safe.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I used to stash weapons around the house but I do not want to take the time to secure them everytime I leave the house now days. Worse yet would be to not secure them and have them used on me if walking into a burglar in progress when coming home.
    My pistol is either with me or an arms length away most of the time. I answer the door with it in hand.
    If you are one of those that has the compulson to answer the door, answer it quickly, and swing it open; STOP THAT BAD HABIT!!! It's your door, so answer it when and if you want to and only after you've checked out who is probably out there. A door peep hole and intercom are also good for checking out unexpected people before opening that door.
    I know that you said no children were ever present, but as you get a little older your friends will start getting married and have little ones, so be prepared to change your ways with weapons as you and your friends get a little older.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I'll say it again--if there are kids around it is a bad idea. Kids are stupid, kids are adventurous, kids are curious, kids can get into more places than you can even think about, kids like to play with guns, kids like to pull triggers, kids like to play cowboy and point guns at other kids. You carry your gun all the time, if that is what it takes or you lock um up or disable them with a quickie trigger lock. There is NO OTHER way to "stash" guns around a house.

The only gun I would have stashed would be under my workbench in my secured gun room. That's exactly what I plan to do when I have a house with a very secure gun room in the basement. Until that time I have a XD in a micro Gun Vault.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Practicality and Paranoia aren't flipsides of the same coin.

The denigrating term "paranoid" is a term often used by those who cannot contemplate the utility or need of something outside the person's personal experience.

The key is practicality. If you see the utility, and if that utility is practical (given your training and experience), then consider yourself safer and better off. If you're uncertain whether it's practical, get professional input from a safety/security expert.

Ignore the denigrators, if a safety/security step provides either actual safety or security. Their opinion isn't relevant. Why? Because the goal isn't to please the Joneses. Rather, the goal is to survive attack. Do whatever reasonably helps you to survive attack, then sleep well at night knowing you're more likely to survive than the person who is opting to spend his or her time poking holes in other people's choices.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 31st, 2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: grahmur
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links