Stashing firearms around the house-Practical or Paranoid?

This is a discussion on Stashing firearms around the house-Practical or Paranoid? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay. Just for background, I live in a condo in an urban area, with my brother, also a gunowner-CCW permit holder, no anti-gun spouses and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stashing firearms around the house-Practical or Paranoid?

Stashing firearms around the house-Practical or Paranoid?

Okay. Just for background, I live in a condo in an urban area, with my brother, also a gunowner-CCW permit holder, no anti-gun spouses and no children are ever present.

Our condo has a connected living room-dining room-kitchen (all one large area) and than a small hallway with bedrooms and baths. The front door opens directly into this living space.

I work from home and last week I had a strange encounter with some weird guy selling magazine subscriptions. It was not in itself threatening, but it made me realize that I spend about 90% of my day in the living room, in direct line of sight of a flimsy condo front door, and that all of my HD firearms are in my bedroom. (I have a HD shotgun, AR-15 and a .40 caliber pistol, my brother has the same, in his bedroom also.) So when I open the front door there is never a weapon within 50 feet.

Is it practical to stash one of my HD fire arms in the living room/dining area where I spend almost all my time? Or is this paranoia on my part?

For those of you that do keep weapons outside of the traditional "Bedside table" or safe, where do you put them? How close are you to a weapon when you open the front door, etc?

2. Remove Ads

some of the cops ive trained in hand to hand CQC, were talking about the best way to fight in your home. you know the layout best so pick a room youd like to fight from/in most and "stash" your weapon there. the room should be tactically sound, ie decent cover and visibility, close to some kind of exit and a phone. and any time you can "funnel" your enemy from a larger area to a smaller area while you yourself still have some room to move is a good thing.

assuming youre in your work area that is close to the door im guessing you would hear someone trying to get in. at that moment i would retreat to the area where you want to fight from. call the police, and defend your self.

and even if you have no kids in your place i would still keep your weapons locked up good. you never know whats gonna happen while you and your roomie are not around...and you dont want your buddies getting into them.

thats all i got!
    "Act like a man of thought - Think like a man of action"

Why not carry your .40 pistol in a nice comfortable holster, then it will ALWAYS be in arm's reach and you won't have to be running for a weapon while taking a couple of intruder's rounds in the back?

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    Why not carry your .40 pistol in a nice comfortable holster, then it will ALWAYS be in arm's reach and you won't have to be running for a weapon while taking a couple of intruder's rounds in the back?

Bobo
    X2!

Guns around?

I have three main living areas that we stay in. Kitchen, Bedroom and TV Room. I keep a handgun (out of site, within easy reach) in each living area. I also carry IWB in the house until I get ready for bed. Last week we had four home invasions in the area. One occurred at night while the residents slept. Entry is almost always through the garage door. Why? Straighten out a coat hanger, make a hook on one end. Go outside and push in on the top center of your garage door. Slide in the coat hanger and hook and pull on the release handle. Bingo! Time to cut that handle off!
    Weapons list suppressed...........

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DKPRC View Post
    Okay. Just for background, I live in a condo in an urban area, with my brother, also a gunowner-CCW permit holder, no anti-gun spouses and no children are ever present.

Our condo has a connected living room-dining room-kitchen (all one large area) and than a small hallway with bedrooms and baths. The front door opens directly into this living space.

I work from home and last week I had a strange encounter with some weird guy selling magazine subscriptions. It was not in itself threatening, but it made me realize that I spend about 90% of my day in the living room, in direct line of sight of a flimsy condo front door, and that all of my HD firearms are in my bedroom. (I have a HD shotgun, AR-15 and a .40 caliber pistol, my brother has the same, in his bedroom also.) So when I open the front door there is never a weapon within 50 feet.

Is it practical to stash one of my HD fire arms in the living room/dining area where I spend almost all my time? Or is this paranoia on my part?

For those of you that do keep weapons outside of the traditional "Bedside table" or safe, where do you put them? How close are you to a weapon when you open the front door, etc?
    I keep several loaded pistols around the house and almost always one on me. I don't have any kids. My only worry is that my wife sometimes sleep walks. It would not be the first time I have been shot at.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Moderator
    I would say it's practical as long as it's done safely. Consider, carefully, where you put the guns and who has access to them. Don't get complacent and leave them lying around when you leave or have guests over (especially children). If children will be in your home consider where you have hid your firearms and go from there.

A lot of people around here carry on them in the home.

I don't. At least not all the time. So I do have a few weapons stashed around the house.

I also have a one-year-old son and so I am careful to stash where he cannot get to them but I can. It's a delicate balance.

That being said, when we go out and get a baby-sitter all "stashed" firearms go into the safe and we are careful to evaluate our son's development so that he doesn't surprise us by walking into the living room holding Mommy's stashed .357.

My main stashed weapon is in the kitchen (where I spend most of my time during the day). If there is a knock at the door I can take it with... there are two doors.. one in the back and one in the front. I have gone to the door with a gun in my hand several times. It's easy just to put it behind your back, do your talking and then shut the door and be done with it.

I have some other firearms stashed around but mostly upstairs where I could retreat and hold off a small army until help arrives.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    consider this...do you keep your firearms in a safe when youre not around?...will you transfer all of your firearms to the safe when you leave the house?...

if not...when you leave the house you are leaving multiple handguns in harms way should your home get broken into...if youre worried about people breaking in while youre there you must be worried about them breaking in when youre not even more...and dont believe youre going to put them where they wont be found...if youve ever seen a home after its been ransacked you would know theres no place you can hide something that they dont know about...

the concern for children finding stashed guns is real also...and the fact hat whatever gun youre going to use is whats available in that room...i know...better than nothing...if youre that concerned i would wear it while i was home...i do when ive been out carrying and its not uncommon for me to fall asleep in my chair or on the sofa with my handgun still iwb..

what you might want to consider is non-lethal defense (pepper spray, stun gun, etc) in easy reach to buy time to get to your fighting room or out of the house....

First, I always have a firearm either on my person or within an arm's reach whenever I'm home. I also have two others strategically placed in other rooms, and the safes are both open while I'm home.
    When leaving, all but one firearm go into the safes...one is left out and could not be easily found.
    As soon as I arrive home, the safes are both opened and life moves along. I feel the most important SD/HD precaution you could make is to be armed while you are at home.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have an old beat up 870 in the bedroom and my pistol on my hip, everything else is in the safe. I have no kids in my house, but I'll still have my guns after a fire or most breakins if they are in the safe, and I'm still never without protection.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I have considered this also and my plan is to invest in a clock/gun box that many stores sell. I know NRA has one in the magazine. I will keep it on a shelf by the door and keep my .38 revolver in it. But I always keep a shotgun or have a pistol nearby when i'm in the living room watching tv and make sure its always in easy reach if its not on me. They also make books that can store a pistol which would be easy to use also. Stay safe Stay armed

Stashed around the house? Nope. I keep one on me at all times though. Also, when I'm home, my safe is open so I can retreat and grab the AR if necessary. I'd recommend picking up a Fobus or Blackhawk paddle holster. They are relatively cheap, and very comfortable.

Think about how long it takes to traverse your condo. If someone breaks down the front door, how much time will you have before they are on you? Enough to cross the room and grab a gun? Enough to move to another "combat room" where you wish you can fight? I doubt it. It's better to have it on you.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    My wife & I live n an apartment with a front door and a sliding glass door - first floor. We have no children at home and don't entertain. I've got a few "defensive devices" stashed here and there. I also keep the front door braced with a "Mace Big Jammer" door brace: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a. This will buy me a few extra, precious seconds to act if needed.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I would love to do this but its just not feasible while living in an apartment and having a 4 year old around all the time. Mine stays in the portable safe and thats it. I keep knives and batons lying around but no firearms. Before we got together 4 years ago you would almost always be within a 5' reach of a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

I would like to have a HD shottie stashed somewhere, but I have two kids and don't think it can be done safely so I don't. Any guns that aren't on me are locked up.

I also think if it's going to be stashed you should consider how likely it is that it will be found if someone breaks in while you aren't home. The last thing I want is for any of my guns to be taken and used by criminals.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links