How would you read this freeway situation?

This is a discussion on How would you read this freeway situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened to me a couple of days ago, and I would like your opinions: 8 PM or so, dark and deserted freeway (two lanes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you read this freeway situation?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

This happened to me a couple of days ago, and I would like your opinions:

• 8 PM or so, dark and deserted freeway (two lanes each direction), rural area of North Carolina (77 SB above Statesville, if anyone is from that area);
    • My wife and I (both 'mature' in age) were in a '91 compact hatchback, covered with mud (the car, not us);
    • We were in the slow lane, with pretty light traffic, doing 65-70 (70 mph limit there);
    • I observed a fellow 1/8 mile or so ahead, traveling at normal speed, put on his 4-way flashers for 20-30 seconds then turn them off;
    • The fellow then began slowing down, perhaps by 10-15 mph;
    • I then tried to pass him, and he began to speed up, slightly behind me (preventing me from changing lanes, but not directly to my side);
    • Our speed was approaching 75, and I didn't want to go any faster;
    • I slowed down and the guy in the right lane slowed down, eventually the two of us doing perhaps 50 mph;
    • Dark full-size sedan, male driver, male in the back seat, presumably someone in the passenger seat to require soneone to sit in back;
    • The fellow in the back seat (illuminated by someone approaching in the fast-lane guy behind me) was pointing and gesturing with animation at the back right-hand corner of our car;
    • I accelerated to fair speed past them and pulled into the right lane;
    • The guy behind me passed us both;
    • The car with the multiple occupants fell back, then soon passed me at a fairly good clip;
    • I never saw either of these two cars again.

My wife was concerned about the car's roadworthiness, but there was no change in performance or handling to support the gestures we saw. I slowed down a bit, and we pulled into a busy and well-lit gas station at the next off ramp: no sign of any problem.

I was dubious about their sincerity based on the 4-way flasher episode before I appeared (they were doing something odd), and the speed-up-slow-down behavior: it seemed to me like a prelude to the 'get him to pull over then mug him' scenarios I've read about.

Thoughts?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I was dubious about their sincerity based on the 4-way flasher episode before I appeared (they were doing something odd), and the speed-up-slow-down behavior: it seemed to me like a prelude to the 'get him to pull over then mug him' scenarios I've read about.

Thoughts?
    Based on the actions you have described I'd say your assessment of their intention is likely correct. Glad you didn't give them the opportunity they were wanting.

PM,

I assume you looked your car over later and nothing was wrong.
    If that is the case, your situational awareness was likely right on point.

Good job!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I think your "spidey senses" were exactly correct. Nice SA...Good job overall...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Paymeister: Reminds me of a recent "car jacking scam". You come out to your car and get inside and as you back out or look in your rear view mirror you see some kind of note attached to the rear window. Instinct would be to get out and see what it is all about---now the scam--your car is running and you have just left the driver's door opened---guess what? Based on your story, I think any forum posters who read your thread has learned something today. Talk about being vulnerable--get stuck on a highway in an express lane--until LEO comes along or you are CC, you are ready to be a victim. The shame of it is that there are a lot of nice people out there who may stop to assist you but the risk is too great for you to agree, unless you really can feel comfortable (???) with the person. If you are not CC you can at least tell the good samaritan (thru your locked door and closed windows) that you called LEO and they are only a mile away--might convince a perp to leave you alone

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Based on the actions you have described I'd say your assessment of their intention is likely correct. Glad you didn't give them the opportunity they were wanting.
    I'm agreeing with wmhawth on this one ;scammers looking to mess with someone

"The registration of all guns is ALWAYS a preparation for their confiscation."
    Patrick and John Henry
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Dirtbags are everywhere with all kinds of predatory tricks...but you're still here to share your alertness.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    !,001 Possibilities. You're under no obligation to stop for someone's 4 way flashers.

VIP Member
    If it didn't feel right, it wasn't. We all have that instinctive quality, though I believe women have it more than us men. In fact, that's why it's pointless to ever lie to a woman.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I'm betting you assessed it right.

When your gut is telling you, listen to it... IMHO.

Good response. Kept your head and possibly your life.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Something like that happened in NW Arkansas several months back. A car with four guys in it indicated to a woman that whe had a low tire. When she pulled over to check it out they stopped too and tried to rob her. Fortunately, she had a CCW. WHen she pulled they ran like in a room full of cats. It could have ended badly for her.

I think you did the right things by following your gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Thoughts?
    If I were to have been in that situation and seen what you did, I likely would have done much the same as you.

• I would know the occupants were high-risk people who were willing to screw with others on the highway, at high speeds.
    • I would assume the occupants were capable of anything, if they were the sort that got jollies from screwing with others on the highway.
    • I would probably have initially done what you did, to attempt to pass or stay away, in the end likely pulling off the highway to a well-lit area.
    • If in the middle of nowhere, though, where there aren't good places to stop, then there's always a choice of evils: my choice being whatever creates the greatest distance between me and the suspects.
    • I have no problems terminating the trip and going elsewhere, if it's feeling quite dangerous. I have had to shake a tail on a few occasions, due to low-grade screwing like this. Though, in this case, it doesn't seem like they escalated things very far.
    • Had they made contact (ramming) or it felt they were escalating dangerously, I would have broken contact as quickly as I was able, heading to a spot where I could best defend myself.
    • This is the sort of thing that can happen to anyone and is the major reason I carry everywhere. Crime can happen anytime, anywhere.

In the end, if you clearly are making space but they're clearly escalating, you defend against harm at the point it's no longer avoidable. Basic standards apply.

This is the sort of situation that I see occasionally when traveling. I frequently keep a rifle in the trunk to supplement my CHL/firearm, for just such occasions where distance might be an element if the suspects were to escalate.

Certainly, you assessed things correctly. They were screwing with you; willing to do so at high speed; and it was uncertain how threatening or deadly they would be willing to get. So, you do what you must until they either break off or you are forced to defend yourself. Pretty simple type of situation, actually, at least from the standpoint of choices.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You did well.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Paymeister: Were you or your wife armed during this event?
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links