Park Scenario - Page 2

Park Scenario

This is a discussion on Park Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like those answers Bark'n Yeah, when I was younger, living in a huge city, stores I worked in were held up by 2 men, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Park Scenario

I like those answers Bark'n

Yeah, when I was younger, living in a huge city, stores I worked in were held up by 2 men, one on my side of the store with a gun at my head, the other up by the registers with a gun on the manager (Army Viet Nam Vet) and the cashier (high school girl), there was a 3' tall aisle of stereo speaker display betwen us and 2 "back rooms" they could lock us in (this was downtown on Main street in a city the size of Houston, Texas) ..... and held up another time by 5 fellows brandishing 2 pistols and the other 3 had sawed off shotguns, so I already know those scenarios from personal experience .... but now I retired and moved to the country, go kayak fishing in the woods, and I'm actually more likely to encounter a few of those situations (though not all at once lol ) Seems like every year they find a body or two out in or near the lakes.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    The majority of the posters to this forum provide excellent and, in many cases, expert opinions on a host of subjects pertaining to defensive carry. I prefer to reply or post, in many cases, as a devil's advocate to, what appear to be majority opinions, and for that I tend to be on the receiving end of mostly educated denunciations, which is a good learning experience; I would hope that my posts that provide these responses are also learning experiences for all those who read the responses and even my comments. Sometimes, some posters seem to show a very active imagination and sound like they are living in a foreign country ripe with violence on an unprecedented level and some posters are just living in a land of Oz. I have difficulty understanding the rationale for many decisions that some posters seem to be making and their reasons and "what ifs" for making them. Feral pigs? Human pigs? Snakes?--All at the same time? The thread writer got responses so I guess he got what he wanted.

I thought the scenario was just a joke and the OP was actually asking about park carry law,,,,,,,,, I may be wrong.

Karma smack with a vengeance. You find yourself in that kind of situation, just sign the guest log on your way out.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Within about 6 months, the SCOUS will decide that the city of Chicago, the state of Illinois and other states cannot ban handguns.

At that point, some bright person will point out that 90% of the federal properties that are open to the public, not fenced, not restricted or guarded are also covered by Heller and McDonald.

Post Office lobbies, parks, lakes, rivers, will all become rights protected.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Please send me some of the stuff yer' smokin' that made you think up this scenario...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    Within about 6 months, the SCOUS will decide that the city of Chicago, the state of Illinois and other states cannot ban handguns.

At that point, some bright person will point out that 90% of the federal properties that are open to the public, not fenced, not restricted or guarded are also covered by Heller and McDonald.

Post Office lobbies, parks, lakes, rivers, will all become rights protected.
    You found some of that "stuff"!!!
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

do the tight thing then man up

Excellent advice and common sense
    Might add that then they need to find a federal prosecutor to charge you and a jury to convict you

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Ok, you're new here so we'll give you that one... A word of caution about scenarios which leans towards the ridiculous. Expect to get chided a bit.

Since you've seen the rattlesnake or can hear it, it's the easiest to avoid! They don't want confrontation any more than you do. Just walk around it!

Feral hogs or even feral dogs can be lethal, they are a serious threat. Just in the last 6 months cases have been posted here on this forum of two people mauled to death by a pack of feral dogs and a physician out hunting feral hogs was mauled and gored several times severing an artery and almost dying even after he shot the hog once with a .270 Rem. If attacked by either of those, you defend yourself anyway you can with whatever means you have regardless of Corp. of Engineer laws!

In regards to two legged predators of the "Deliverance" sort, the answer is more like a downed flight crew behind enemy lines. SERE: Survive, Evade, Resistance, Escape The best thing to do is to avoid them by evading and circumventing them. Do not alert them to your presence and remove yourself from the area. But if confronted, you need to survive if you are threatened, and that includes lethal force if lethal force is warranted.

In all those survival situations, the risk of violating the rules of the Corps of Engineers is the least of my concern.

Case Closed, Drive On! YMMV
    Steve

Life member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Pir8te: Agree with you and your reference to Bark'n, you can add dogs running wild to your comments--feral or not if they are attacking, as far as I am concerned another dog or cat (feral or not) or other pet---period. Recently a cat was mauled by a group of dogs--not necessarily feral, and I and a friend, while walking thru part of our neighborhood, found ourselves surrounded by 2 pits who were not growling but just "prancing", barking, and walking around us in that "hunt mood"---put my hairs up a bit and when the owner (a new renter) came out after hearing the barking, my friend informed him of leash laws and I informed him of my CCW. I did call the police and had them visit the house and reaffirm the leash laws--As to the case of the cat, if I had been an initial witness I would have shot the dogs, even though, I believe, at least in SC, that this was not a permitted use of the firearm--I will accept the fine and still kill the dogs. As to the pits---I'll accept barking but one "nip" and I will kill them.

Assumption is false. While the State Parks you list are at Corps of Engineers lakes (example: Ray Roberts State Park), it is legal to carry concealed with CHL license at the state park. The lake itself is Corps of Engineers property, and therefore off limits, but the ground within the state park is state park property and therefore not off limits. I've verified this.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    Assumption is false. While the State Parks you list are at Corps of Engineers lakes (example: Ray Roberts State Park), it is legal to carry concealed with CHL license at the state park. The lake itself is Corps of Engineers property, and therefore off limits, but the ground within the state park is state park property and therefore not off limits. I've verified this.
    Where can this be verified? I've taken that same position, but was told over on another forum that I was incorrect (and by some who are pretty knowledgable in the CHL Laws, if not attorneys themselves)....
    and all I'm finding is things like ...
    "D. Excluding law enforcement officers, loaded firearms of any type are prohibited in state parks located on Corps of Engineers property"

STILL, here's the rediculus thing though.

If that's the case, when you go fish from the bank you're ok concealed, but to wade into the water to get the lure unstuck from the weeds you aren't, soooo what do you do, you can't leave the gun on the bank/shore while you wade out .. that's not concealed (or smart)

And, perhaps I could conceal it in some sort of sack, tied to a fishing line and leave the gun on the bank while I kayak out in the water? If a critter tries to crawl in with me I could reel my gun to me real fast ...

In reality, when they attached National Parks to the credit card legislation, they should have included COE property as well..... I'm bewildered why they didn't.

I verified with both Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept and with Texas Department of Public Safety. I spend a lot of time with the family in State Parks, and many are to COE lakes. You might also check TexasCHLforum.com • Index page, a forum dedicated to all things CHL in Texas.

I understand about questioning legal technicalities and all, but the initial scenario spelled out was very far fetched, as is the idea that Game Wardens, etc. are waiting to check you for concealed weapons if you step off the bank of a State Park into a COE resevoir to retreive a stuck lure.

To get back to the original scenario, I've seen VERY fresh mountain lion and bear tracks in Texas State Parks that weren't there when I passed by the same spot several hours before, as well as wild hogs, black bears, and gators when I wasn't expecting to. I always go armed into State Parks, and Texas law makes sure I'm able to. God Bless Jerry Patterson and his continual fight for state sovereignty of it's lands over the feds.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

THANKS !!!

I'll check with TPWD and DPS, and hopefully get something in writing from them, and yesterday I e-mailed them about posting info online regarding this. Actually it was TexasCHLforum that said I was wrong and that if the COE owned the property and leased it to the State as a State Park, you could not carry there .... doesn't seem right if we CAN carry in State parks though .... Hopefully TPWD will post something in clarification.

Still, the fish from the bank or wear the breatheable insulated boot waders and wade fish issue does exist. (Sorry, about the legal technicality pickiness, I'm retired from 25 years in a law office, just can't quit mentally I guess. lol)
    Game Warden/Rangers probably won't believe I got sprayed by a boat wake if I run up on shore when I see one coming. ;) Point is, hopefully they'll do some "clean-up legislation" because the COE issue should have been taken care of at the same time National Parks were added to places we can carry.

Good thing I didn't include and cliffs in my scenario, we have as many of those as rattlesnakes here, but we have plenty of both.

WE've had bobcats in my brother's back yard and watched one SHRED a rabbit, none of the things I mentioned are real far-fetched for where I live, but I'd hope I never encounter all at once. Several types of venomous snakes can be found in my yard at any time ..... Boss's poor HUGE dog died from a snakebite, sweet ole dog.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links