Park Scenario

Park Scenario

This is a discussion on Park Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Texas, we can carry in city parks, county parks, LCRA parks (Lower Collorao River Authority parks) and *State parks*, and after Feb 22, 2010, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Park Scenario

Park Scenario

In Texas, we can carry in city parks, county parks, LCRA parks (Lower Collorao River Authority parks) and *State parks*, and after Feb 22, 2010, *National Parks.*

(**Except State or National parks where the property is owned by the Corps of Engineers, who state " U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Frequently Asked Questions
    May I have a firearm in the park? A concealed handgun permit is not valid on Federal property. The possession of a firearm and/or ammunition is prohibited.

Here's corps property list, so we know not to go there
    Corps Lakes Gateway: Texas "

Anyway, here's the scenario ... you are camping and walking on the hiking path, there's a pack of wild feral hogs threatening you ahead, and a rattlesnake behind you.
    To your left and right you hear banjo music and some people saying "let's make him squeel like a pig" (like in the movie Deliverance).
    You know it's a State Park, so it's legal to carry your gun there since you have a license by your State, but you also know that it's owned by the Corps of Engineers and your license is not valid there ...... what do you do?

(This is Common, Whitney State Park, Ray Roberts Lake State Park etc etc etc are Corps of Engineers parks)

(Corps of Engineers actually advises to call them to remove the snake, but I don't own a cell phone, and even if I did, can they hear me now?, out in the woods?

"If you do encounter a snake in or near your campsite, notify a park ranger, park police officer, or park headquarters so that we can properly relocate it. )

1) Pray
    2) see if you can hop backwards over the snake without getting bit because a hospital is too far away
    3) bare your teeth at the feral hogs and make yourself look bigger so they all get scared away.
    4) Cuss out your wife for choosing that C.O.E. park and vow to never go to one again
    5) Ask a banjo player if he can dial a Park Ranger for you
    6) other ?

I would walk around the snake.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I would walk around the snake.
    I probably would too. I worry less about the snake and more about the banjo music.

my point is not just about rattlesnakes and bobcats or mongoose, but about the man found shot in his truck at the county boat ramp, about the woman found floating in Inks Lake, about the man found in a 55 gallon drum at the bottom of lake Buchanan when the lake level was low, and about the gangster wannabes shooting at vehicles in the parking lot on another lake n..... snakes and mongoose and animals as well as banjo music ...

I only go to lakes NOT affiliated with the Corps of Engineers.

Please send me some of the stuff yer' smokin' that made you think up this scenario...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    6.) Other

I'd shoot myself for being so stupid as to be in that situation in the first place and answering this question!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

lol, I do a lot of kayak fishing, and several people have Tee-Shirts " Paddle faster ... I hear banjo music" and I see rattlesnakes all the time; sometimes trying to climb in your kayak with you. The Wild hog thing, from a guy who decided he would always be armed after he was threatened by a pack of them..... it just sorta all came together

One guy told me he'd call Burt Reynolds ... I think I'd call Sally Fields, but that's a different matter ...

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Please send me some of the stuff yer' smokin' that made you think up this scenario...
    +1 You're the only one that gets away with that kind of comment. I try it and I get yelled at.

Must be in the presentation.

I forgot to mention .... COE property penalties $500.00 fine, 6 months in jail if the Park Ranger catches you, and if he asks for ID, you must present your Concealed Handgun License at the time with Drivers/Fishing Licenses.

And, if when he sees your Handgun License, he asks if you are armed, it's a crime (Moral Turpitude offense) to lie to the Peace Officer. A moral turpitude conviction may be admissible in ANY civil or criminal litigation in the future even if it is unrelated to this instance, like a car wreck litigation, or Social Security case etc etc etc ... (you lied before, why should we believe you now)

Those factors may weigh in on a decision todraw a weapon (or even carry one there) or not too.

(Personally, I'll not go to those parks/lakes/recreation areas until the government "fixes" it right)

I'm not one of them lawyer peoples.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'll take some too!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    I'll take some too!
    pass it my way....some imagination...

I follow the orders of the emperor.

http://www.moviesounds.com/phantom/wipeall.wav

I have wondered about that as George Bush park in Houston is in the Addicks Reservoir. If you walk along the bayou there are A.C.E. signs stating weapons are prohibited. In the middle of the park is the American Shooting Center! Now the park is managed by either the city or Harris County, but the signs on the trails say it is Corps property! Is it illegal for me to take weapons to the range?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I have wondered about that as George Bush park in Houston is in the Addicks Reservoir. If you walk along the bayou there are A.C.E. signs stating weapons are prohibited. In the middle of the park is the American Shooting Center! Now the park is managed by either the city or Harris County, but the signs on the trails say it is Corps property! Is it illegal for me to take weapons to the range?
    ummmm, that's exactly what I mean, but I hadn't even thought about county parks being COE property too.

Lots of COE properties have shooting ranges and you are allowed to carry a disassembled or unloaded weapon to them

HOWEVER

See http://www.co.harris.tx.us/comm_lee/...egulations.pdf
    Looks like Harris County says yes you may? in those Rules/Regs, but also says "Please be aware that this park is part of a federally owned reservoir and it is the priority of the Army Corps of Engineers to impound water when necessary." http://www.hctx.net/Pct3/parks/GeorgeBush.aspx and the COE says no?

http://www.swg.usace.army.mil/Addicks/ What does this mean for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers? ... For more information on Bear Creek Park or the George Bush Park, call (281-496-2177)
    .... you may not?...
    I dunno ... I'm not sure the Government knows, I bet LEOs don't know.

I ain't a lawyer.

I had no idea that parks were such a confusing mess.

Ok, you're new here so we'll give you that one... A word of caution about scenarios which leans towards the ridiculous. Expect to get chided a bit.

Since you've seen the rattlesnake or can hear it, it's the easiest to avoid! They don't want confrontation any more than you do. Just walk around it!

Feral hogs or even feral dogs can be lethal, they are a serious threat. Just in the last 6 months cases have been posted here on this forum of two people mauled to death by a pack of feral dogs and a physician out hunting feral hogs was mauled and gored several times severing an artery and almost dying even after he shot the hog once with a .270 Rem. If attacked by either of those, you defend yourself anyway you can with whatever means you have regardless of Corp. of Engineer laws!

In regards to two legged predators of the "Deliverance" sort, the answer is more like a downed flight crew behind enemy lines. SERE: Survive, Evade, Resistance, Escape The best thing to do is to avoid them by evading and circumventing them. Do not alert them to your presence and remove yourself from the area. But if confronted, you need to survive if you are threatened, and that includes lethal force if lethal force is warranted.

In all those survival situations, the risk of violating the rules of the Corps of Engineers is the least of my concern.

Case Closed, Drive On! YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links