I've been wondering...

This is a discussion on I've been wondering... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the scenario: You are out shopping with the family, and carrying some bags from various stores. You notice that someone has approached you and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been wondering...

Question I've been wondering...

Here's the scenario:

You are out shopping with the family, and carrying some bags from various stores.

You notice that someone has approached you and yours from behind, and although you have made some discreet (the family hasn't noticed) evasive maneuvers to try and "lose the tail", the person continues to follow.

You are armed with your EDC, and you subtly shift your grip on the bags to allow for you to swing them at the (possible) attacker while drawing your weapon should you need.

Here's the sticky part:

If the individual becomes aggressive and tries to snatch a bag from you, do you have a right to draw on them? You don't know what their intentions are, be they violent or otherwise.

I would feel threatened in that situation (Kentucky's big Legal Line of Demarcation, so to speak), especially with my family present.

Now, if they just manage to "grab 'n' go" without your forehand knowledge of their presence and run off into the sunset with your new Bed, Bath, and Beyond bedspread, oh well.

But if I see them coming, and they try something, I don't know what they might intend to do.

Thoughts?

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Dont mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Exactly as you presented the scenario, no.
    You didn't mention any visible weapon, signs of him reaching for a weapon, or any physical attack against you or anybody else.
    Sure it could easily turn into an attack, and I would be prepared, if things did escalate to a point that I was in fear of grave bodily harm. At this point drawing is not warranted.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    If someone rushes me they get a my pistol isn't my only protection.

If I'm with my child its a whole different ballgame. I don't care if you are in a hurry or intending to steal a bag its never a good idea to rush toward a parent and a cub.

If he/they is 'attacking' me for my bags, then the intent would be violent...albt limited and quick in a "grab-n-go" situation.

I'm releasing my grip on the bags, stepping out of 'arms' reach, and drawing and shouting. He can have the bags but ANY action/movement at me or mine would draw my fire. The 'sticky part' is I'm drawing the instant I'm clear of the bags and BG(s).

Having the wife and/or kids makes it 'sticky' regardless.

Otherwise I'm getting as good a discription and direction of travel of the BG's and waiting for the police. Calling 911 is understood.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

That's exactly why I carry OC spray ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't see any clear-cut "threat to life" here. I'd hate to have to go to prison because some guy tried to snatch my "Tickle Me Elmo" from my hands.

Generally, if you turn and face him, he'll realize he's lost the advantage of surprise and that you've identified him as suspect. Odds are almost certain that he'll pass on by.

Having said that, I'm sure you would have been alerted to respond as needed. Avoidance is the wiser move over pulling a weapon and using it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Legal or not, I'm not going to get into a shooting over some chinese junk I just picked up at Walmart. I've decided a long time ago, material items are not the hassle of shooting somebody. The time, legal, stress imposed not only on me but my family just isn't worth it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Legal or not, I'm not going to get into a shooting over some chinese junk I just picked up at Walmart. I've decided a long time ago, material items are not the hassle of shooting somebody. The time, legal, stress imposed not only on me but my family just isn't worth it.
    i agree w/that, as long as its not some heirloom,w/lots of special meaning to you and stolen from your home.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    +1 on this. Let him go, call the PD and make sure your family is secured.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    You didn't mention any visible weapon, signs of him reaching for a weapon, or any physical attack against you or anybody else.
    Sure it could easily turn into an attack, and I would be prepared, if things did escalate to a point that I was in fear of grave bodily harm. At this point drawing is not warranted.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm feeling a threat to myself and my family. Maybe all Mr. Dirtbag wants is to steal my stuff, but there is no way to tell if our stuff is enough to make him go away happy. I would feel that the only way to assure my safety and the safety of my family in the face of this threat is to introduce him to his virgin. I do not plan on counting on the good will of bad peolpe for the survival of my family!

Oh. I'm old and can't run or fight very well. However, even if I am a young sprinter with a Black Belt in Hoo Flung Dung, I shouldn't be put in this position. Whether it is a beating or bullets, Mr. BG has gone out of his way to get it.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post

^^^^^^^^YEP!!!!^^^^^^^^^^

"If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started."
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I think I would just put myself between family and him, and turn and face him with hand ready to draw if necessary and ask him what he wants.

It would be a good idea to have a prearranged alert word with in family to signal alert.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    That's exactly why I carry OC spray ; )
    H/D
    Yep! If he was following for that long, i would've went proactive and turned to confront him, but i would do it in a non-threatening way, such as "I noticed you following me, do I know you from somewhere ??". This lets you evaluate the person and get a better stance for defense. He may also just turn and walk away if he knows that you see him.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

draw no,,,,he would end up with a green face and burning eyes, skin, mucous membranes and throat.... ohh and

Just doesnt qualify for serious bodily injury or death
    Led By Love Of Country

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links