Just 1 guy with a knife in the wide open

This is a discussion on Just 1 guy with a knife in the wide open within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Real simple scenario, real hard question. Imagine you are walking across a lot and are about 30 feet from the entrance to a building when ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just 1 guy with a knife in the wide open

Real simple scenario, real hard question.

Imagine you are walking across a lot and are about 30 feet from the entrance to a building when a fellow that you assumed was just walking down the side walk stops about 12 feet from you and pulls out a knife demanding your wallet.

I imagine some would say easily draw and shoot, others would say draw and tell him to get lost. I myself would draw and tell him to freeze while I called the cops. If he came closer I would shoot but if he ran I don't know what I would do. I suppose I would just be a good witness and give the cops a ton of info.

Please take the scenario from the smiley. Thanks for all the great input. I think we get a great sense of judgment from these scenarios.

The Police Policy Studies Council

You should ensure there is documentation somewhere that you have read the above article. If you are ever in this situation and decide to shoot, the jury will likely be instructed that your actions needed to be reasonable and they will need to take into account all the things you knew at the time. If you can document that you read and internalized the above article, it could be very helpful to you.

BTW, a healthy adult male will be able to close that 12 foot distance before the vast majority of ccw'ers can draw and place a shot on the target.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    The Police Policy Studies Council

You should ensure there is documentation somewhere that you have read the above article. If you are ever in this situation and decide to shoot, the jury will likely be instructed that your actions needed to be reasonable and they will need to take into account all the things you knew at the time. If you can document that you read and internalized the above article, it could be very helpful to you.

BTW, a healthy adult male will be able to close that 12 foot distance before the vast majority of ccw'ers can draw and place a shot on the target.
    That was a great read. I will definitly link to that on my blog.

kpw
    12 feet? That's too close to play quick draw. If I had my hand in my left front pocket, I'd pull my BUG and put a bunch of tiny holes in him. Maybe toss him my money clip, run and try to get a lot more distance between us.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Found this U tube that might be answer to your question.

YouTube - Ruger LCP Inside the Pocket Holster
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

12 feet is pretty close. Being that close to the door I'd probably head that way unless I already had my hand on my firearm like said above. I was taught within 20 feet shoot. Closer is obviously a new set of problems. Maybe pull a crocodile dundee and pull a much bigger knife.

VIP Member
    You might not want to believe this but from 12' an attacker can get to you and inflict a mortal wound with a knife before you could pull the trigger on an already drawn weapon or still get to you and inflict that same mortal wound before succumbing to being shot... if your tact is to draw and tell the BG to freeze, do so while quickly backing away from him!

Action is always faster than reaction... just sayin'!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    flip him the money and put some distance between you.... call 911.... then if the BG continues to chase you draw and (yell stop) or (when you have to shoot, shoot don't talk)
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I was under the very wrong impression thinking that I was not in an ultimate emergency position since I was armed with a gun and the robber was 12 feet away with a knife.

I got ya, so at that distance I believe I would draw as fast as possible and shoot. Thanks for cluing me into that.

My purpose for posting this thread was to know what would be the best thing to do if a person holding a knife was around,,,,,,, lets say 17 feet away demanded my wallet and I drew my pistol with them still standing 17 feet away with my sites fixed on their kill zone do I:

Pull the trigger???

Demand that they drop their weapon and then call the cops and demand that they do not move???

Demand that they drop the knife and tell them to get lost???

My main questions are:

Do you shoot because they are armed, confronting you and close to you even though they are not descending upon you at this point???

What can you do if anything if you demand that they freeze until the police arrive? They could just run off. What do I do if anything at that point?

By myself, I would draw. Take a couple of steps back and wait.(you said he stopped 12 ft away). If he came closer with a threatning manner I would shoot him.If he stopped so would I. If he turned at the site of my gun and ran I would call 911

Its kind of hard to give an answer because there are tons of variables.Is there a shopping cart nearby? Are people around? Can I run in the store? Are there other options besides continue the confrontation?. Lots of things to consider real quick.

Here is one possible reaction to the scenario I guess and the reason the gun is coming out is because the distance is so close and the knife he pulled shows me intent to do bodily harm...

I would try to increase my distance from him while drawing my firearm and then whatever happens from there would depend on how the situation would unfold.
    1. If he attacks... I shoot.
    2. He doesn't do anything and we are in a standoff.....I might go to non lethal and OC spray his ass if possible
    3. If he runs....cool. I am not gonna shoot him in the back or chase him. I'll start chasing BG's when the local PD puts me on the payroll or I find out Superman's my dad and I inherited his powers.

And of course I will call the cops when I feel the situation is diffused and I am safe.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    lets say 17 feet away demanded my wallet and I drew my pistol with them still standing 17 feet away with my sites fixed on their kill zone do I:
    [list of options]
    There is no perfect algorithm. Ultimately, your actions need to be legal and reasonable given the totality of the circumstances. A good defensive handgun course will help greatly with that. Also, there is a good discussion discussion of it here: http://www.corneredcat.com/Legal/AOJ.aspx. I'd change AOJ to be AOJP though (adding P for Preclusion and bringing it formally up to equal standing with AOJ).

Regarding your option of holding an attacker a gunpoint until police arrive, I'd throw that option out the window. Someone else explains why better than I can:

InSights Training Center Blog Holding criminals at gun point.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Wow,,, point taken.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    your objective in this scenario is protecting yourself and removing yourself from harms way...you are justified to shoot if you feel its necessary but that opens a world of pain for you...emotionally, physically and legally...if you an use your firearm to buy you a path to safety and contact law enforcement you have won the encounter...

the best choice is to draw and put disatance between yourself and the attacker...moving laterally and back...its not a bad thing to practice so you can get your footwork correct without tripping over yourself and exposing yourself to more danger...

the guy who brought the knife to the gunfight has got some decisions to make and if you are convincing enough his choice will be to run like he has never run...be bold, be confident, be commanding...he'll get the picture...

VIP Member
    Some would say that is a 12 or 17 foot head start youhad.
    "They" may be jurors.....2cents

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links