Drew my weapon - Page 3

Drew my weapon

This is a discussion on Drew my weapon within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On Atlantic Blvd. SouthSide Blvd. or Blanding Blvd. It could be Regency Mall, Avenues Mall, or Orange Park Mall. Think! This is important! Just Kidding, ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Drew my weapon

On Atlantic Blvd. SouthSide Blvd. or Blanding Blvd. It could be Regency Mall, Avenues Mall, or Orange Park Mall.

Think! This is important! Just Kidding, but I would like to know.

Wow, again! Sounds like Elsie had their undivided attention. That's good! I'd like to have heard that evenings conversation between the 2 BG's, I bet THAT was interesting!

edit to add:
    From the sounds of some of the other posters in this thread, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a sudden and mysterious drop in downtown Jacksonville parking lot crime.

I mean absolutely no offense to anyone who has been in this situation, especially since I myself [fortunately] don't know how I would react in this situation, but why wouldn't you put them in your sights, make them sit down together, and call the cops? Leaving them there allows them to get a new victim. And considering they seemed pretty adamant on getting your mom's purse, especially since they planned it out, I have little doubt they might have done it to someone else.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    I mean absolutely no offense to anyone who has been in this situation, especially since I myself [fortunately] don't know how I would react in this situation, but why wouldn't you put them in your sights, make them sit down together, and call the cops? Leaving them there allows them to get a new victim. And considering they seemed pretty adamant on getting your mom's purse, especially since they planned it out, I have little doubt they might have done it to someone else.

Thoughts?
    I am not LEO, My job is to protect my family to the best of my ability. Attempting to subdue these guys does not meet that goal.

That said, I would have been on the phone to 911 as soon as my car exited the garage giving my best description and offering to stay close by for a positive ID.

Good Job OP. You and yours made it out unharmed and you can sleep well at night.
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -C. S. Lewis

Fair enough. As a person who tends to take things on that maybe I shouldn't (I'm an aspiring LEO for that purpose [because I want to have the ability and knowledge to be able to proactively help others]), I was wondering. I've pulled people from cars, followed drunk drivers, called the cops on public domestic disputes. Others (which I would include in the sheep definition) seem complacent with the bystander effect, thinking, "Well, it's not me, so someone else will take care of it." I think as members of a common society, if we're within our means and with good intentions, we should do something about it.

When I imagine myself in this situation -- and I readily admit that I might act completely differently if the situation really happened to me -- I see myself lining them up, making them lay down on the ground with their hands spread out, and having my wife (or mom in this case) on the phone with the cops, letting them know what happened, where we are, and MY description, so they know I'm the good guy. Stand there with eyes open and gun at low-ready.

Maybe that's wrong, but that would be my immediate inclination, I believe. What do others think? Would I be wrong?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Glad that it all worked out for the best. That was a great outcome to a potentially bad scenario.

There are MANY times every year when the mere presentation of a firearm is enough to prevent very bad things from happening.

Sometimes that is all that is required.

That is why I absolutely hate to hear... "I'll only DRAW my firearm if I'm going to shoot!" from some members.

I don't know WHERE that came from and/or how that ever got started but, whoever has learned that should UNlearn it in a big hurry.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Glad you are safe. The only suggustion I can make is it sounds like you waited too long to notify the policy if you waited until you got back to home base. Anytime that gun clears leather, I would suggust an immediate phone call to the police the second you are in a safe spot. It wouldn't be hard for the two thugs to make a call saying some dangerous looking guy pulled a gun on them as they were walking thru a parking garage minding their own business. Then you are the one with the explaining to do.

In any event, all worked out in the end and you and mom are safe.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soular View Post
    I am not LEO, My job is to protect my family to the best of my ability. Attempting to subdue these guys does not meet that goal.
    +1

Plus there is a significant difference between acting alone and being with a family member.

I absolutely hate to hear... "I'll only DRAW my firearm if I'm going to shoot!" from some members.
    Better to say, "I'll only carry my gun as a backup for my brain and legs?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Interesting first post.

Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Well glad it turned out OK. You did well, in your handling of the situation.
    You and your mom walked away unhurt and you didn't have to shoot anyone...

^YEP^^^^^^^^

Boy thats the fine line between preparedness, and statistic

*"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
    media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to
    pick up a turd by the clean end**.**" Author Unknown
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Glad that it all worked out for the best. That was a great outcome to a potentially bad scenario.

There are MANY times every year when the mere presentation of a firearm is enough to prevent very bad things from happening.

Sometimes that is all that is required.

That is why I absolutely hate to hear... "I'll only DRAW my firearm if I'm going to shoot!" from some members.

I don't know WHERE that came from and/or how that ever got started but, whoever has learned that should UNlearn it in a big hurry.
    That’s as bad as people saying “ I don’t need bullets……I am only going to scare em with my gun”

Granddad always said “Common sense ain’t so common”
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Well I'm going to figure brandishing is against the law in Fla since it hasn't been covered here yet. And if this in fact is true I say good on ya. It is my opinion that if you have to break a law to save yourself you did the right thing.

Cell phone reception in a parking garage may not be the best.

BGs got off easy and hopefully learned a lesson to the good.

LCP in pocket better than cannon at home.

Thank goodness you did not need to lay then on the cement and live with that event the rest of your life.

Hope mommy gets her CCW and carries a LCP or P3AT like husband or son.

It would just be justice if she decided to carry and carried a full size 1911 with 2 extra mags.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

I think it ought to be "I'll only PUT MY FINGER ON THE TRIGGER if I'm going to shoot...and be prepared to take the responsibility for destroying whatever it is I shoot at."

Impetus, welcome to the board. I'm very glad that you and your mom are safe and sound. And not that I'd wish your experience on anyone, but like others have said, maybe something positive came out of it. Your mother seems to have changed her views on firearms a bit. Good job protecting her and keeping your wits about you.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Nice job!
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links