Drew my weapon

This is a discussion on Drew my weapon within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; jacksonville is getting pretty bad huh? i got held up on my parents condo doorstep in ortega (a very nice part of town) in june. ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Drew my weapon

jacksonville is getting pretty bad huh?

i got held up on my parents condo doorstep in ortega (a very nice part of town) in june.

my brother in law and sister just got thier CCW, and they were the last people i wouldhave pictured carrying.

2. Remove Ads

Impetus,

Welcome to the DC forum and it takes guts to relay such an incident. I suspect the longer this goes, some will jump in and say, why didn't you do this? Or, had it been me I would have _____,______, etc. I'd like to say from what you described, I feel you did well. I would have done the same thing. You protected your mother from harm and had it gone south fast, you were prepared to go into your stance. Cops do the same thing daily. They pull their sidearm and keep it hidden down along their side. Many times it's not needed for one to point it at someone's face. But, it's always at the ready. Both of you are safe now let the cops do the searching.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Well, in response to: Why didn't you level it at them, get them in your sights, etc. I really didn't want to have to kill anybody, it's just not on my list of things to do. I was unsure if they were armed, and I had no idea what state they were in mentally. They could have been hopped up on anything from coke to something from a medicine cabinet, and they very well could have been armed. I felt just presenting the weapon would be enough to deter them. If they reached for anything on their person, or tried to rush us, I would not have hesitated, particularly with the life of the woman who raised me on the line. I just didn't want it to come to that, (shooting somebody in front of your own mother? Not fun!) My reasoning being that raising the weapon could actually provoke them to do something desperate.

And why didn't I wait for the police? Because I'm not Batman, I'm just a guy trying not to get hurt. Who knows what could have happened in the eight to ten I could have waited? The shorter the time spent in the presence of BG's, the better in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    why wouldn't you put them in your sights, make them sit down together, and call the cops?
    You don't do that because you will then need to have a negotiation with police officers when they arrive and you have a gun in your hand.

Here is one example of how that can turn our really bad for you:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/phoenix-fam...ory?id=8756441

Bad guys getting arrested is nice, but not the civilian's objective.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Fair enough. It turned out well for the old man in the other story that held a burglar at gunpoint. I just figure if you give the police your description and follow their commands, you'll be alright.

I just couldn't leave them there to manhandle the next person coming by. I don't know if I could live with the, "I wonder what happened to the next people?"

Just got to thinking mall security is reviewing (silent) video, sees couple talking with strangers when man draws and attempts to conceal weapon, preparing to rob two men in parking lot. This is direct visual evidence of attempted robbery -- fortunately the two male victims got away. Robbery suspects drove away from scene in a hurry; but they left a tag number on video. Police get a search warrant for the address of that vehicle registration, to find the weapon used in the assault. Consider suspects armed and dangerous. It's all a matter of perspective. -- too many CSI reruns?

I see them reviewing the video and seeing a a man and woman meet two men in a parking garage. The two men attempt to split up and 'surround' the couple. The male of the couple draws a pistol but does not point it at anyone, does not appear to be menacing anyone. Looks like he's trying to shield the female. Then see the couple walking away from the two men obviously trying to remove themselves from the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post
    Just got to thinking mall security is reviewing (silent) video, sees couple talking with strangers when man draws and attempts to conceal weapon, preparing to rob two men in parking lot. This is direct visual evidence of attempted robbery -- fortunately the two male victims got away. Robbery suspects drove away from scene in a hurry; but they left a tag number on video. Police get a search warrant for the address of that vehicle registration, to find the weapon used in the assault. Consider suspects armed and dangerous. It's all a matter of perspective. -- too many CSI reruns?

[QUOTE]
    Fair enough. As a person who tends to take things on that maybe I shouldn't (I'm an aspiring LEO for that purpose [because I want to have the ability and knowledge to be able to proactively help others]), I was wondering. I've pulled people from cars, followed drunk drivers, called the cops on public domestic disputes. Others (which I would include in the sheep definition) seem complacent with the bystander effect, thinking, "Well, it's not me, so someone else will take care of it." I think as members of a common society, if we're within our means and with good intentions, we should do something about it.

When I imagine myself in this situation -- and I readily admit that I might act completely differently if the situation really happened to me -- I see myself lining them up, making them lay down on the ground with their hands spread out, and having my wife (or mom in this case) on the phone with the cops, letting them know what happened, where we are, and MY description, so they know I'm the good guy. Stand there with eyes open and gun at low-ready.

Maybe that's wrong, but that would be my immediate inclination, I believe. What do others think? Would I be wrong?
    Though your intentions are good you need to be careful in what situations you get involved in. You could very easily get involved in an altercation that did not concern you and call your judgment into question .

Also with the current political climate you may find yourself in more trouble than the bad guy. IMHO, only in the event of someone causing grievous bodily harm to another would I get involved. Even then you maybe on shaky ground.
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

In response to the post copied below, holding them at gunpoint for the police for committing what crime?

WE have a pretty good idea what they were up to - but at this point, they had not 'threatened' anyone with deadly force. They said "nice purse" and "why are you leaving so soon".

Ability - sure, two men, possibly armed against a man and woman. Disparity of force? possibly.

Opportunity - sure. Close proximity, poorly lit, mostly vacant parking garage.

Intent - again, we may seem to know what they were up to but have they made clear their intent to cause grave bodily harm or death to anyone? Would a jury agree? Who knows. Seems too flimsy a reason to hold them at gunpoint. Probably would have ended up with the CWP holder behind bars.

Seems to me like the original poster was spot-on in his reaction. Got his weapon in hand but not pointed at someone. Nipped that in the bud and left safely.

Would have called police immediately after leaving to a safer area.
    In order to head-off a "man with a gun call".

Well done sir.

I mean absolutely no offense to anyone who has been in this situation, especially since I myself [fortunately] don't know how I would react in this situation, but why wouldn't you put them in your sights, make them sit down together, and call the cops? Leaving them there allows them to get a new victim. And considering they seemed pretty adamant on getting your mom's purse, especially since they planned it out, I have little doubt they might have done it to someone else.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Glad that it all worked out for the best. That was a great outcome to a potentially bad scenario.

There are MANY times every year when the mere presentation of a firearm is enough to prevent very bad things from happening.

Sometimes that is all that is required.

That is why I absolutely hate to hear... "I'll only DRAW my firearm if I'm going to shoot!" from some members.

I don't know WHERE that came from and/or how that ever got started but, whoever has learned that should UNlearn it in a big hurry.
    totally agree. It also goes to show that carrying that "mouse gun" can deter an incident as well... for all the mouse gun haters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    totally agree. It also goes to show that carrying that "mouse gun" can deter an incident as well... for all the mouse gun haters out there.
    I sure as heck wouldn't want one pointed at me!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm glad it worked out for your Mother and you.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Fair enough. As a person who tends to take things on that maybe I shouldn't (I'm an aspiring LEO for that purpose [because I want to have the ability and knowledge to be able to proactively help others]), I was wondering. I've pulled people from cars, followed drunk drivers, called the cops on public domestic disputes. Others (which I would include in the sheep definition) seem complacent with the bystander effect, thinking, "Well, it's not me, so someone else will take care of it." I think as members of a common society, if we're within our means and with good intentions, we should do something about it.

When I imagine myself in this situation -- and I readily admit that I might act completely differently if the situation really happened to me -- I see myself lining them up, making them lay down on the ground with their hands spread out, and having my wife (or mom in this case) on the phone with the cops, letting them know what happened, where we are, and MY description, so they know I'm the good guy. Stand there with eyes open and gun at low-ready.

Maybe that's wrong, but that would be my immediate inclination, I believe. What do others think? Would I be wrong?
    Short answer - IMO, yes.

You know, they didn't actually commit a crime by the story - On that point I believe you would become the only bad guy there if you ordered them to the pavement.

At least in TX we are taught to only go as far as it takes to stop the threat. Playing cop can lead to so many bad things it's not funny. You have the chance to leave and be done but no... you have to play cop. A little too pro-active.

Be a good witness and call the police since you don't wear a badge. That's not avoiding responsibilty like you described. God help us all if you ever do wear a badge and feel you have license to yank people from their car at will and deal out your "justice" on the general public.

You sound like all the bouncers I know. They got the job so they can be a tough guy to other people - righteousness approved beatings.

Don't get me wrong - by all means stop a beating/murder/felony in progress if you see it happening. I'm right there with you as backup - I'll do that myself even if I'm the only one - It's the "going further than you need to" that concerns me.

---------------------------------------------

To the OP. Well done job! Everyone's alive and unhurt at the end of it.

Add the bonus of an anti wanting a conceal permit and you have the cherry on top! Best outcome you could hope for!

First - What a great example of how an anti's mind can be changed by reality up close and personal instead of being an excerise of thought.

Second - Your comment about the PD not giving you a hard time over the weapon and "not being able to do anything about it"... kinda leads me to think you were carrying without a license. Are you licensed in FLA?

BTW I think one SHOULD be able to carry without a license but that's just my opinion.

I mean absolutely no offense to anyone who has been in this situation, especially since I myself [fortunately] don't know how I would react in this situation, but why wouldn't you put them in your sights, make them sit down together, and call the cops?
    What would you do if they just turn and walk away at that point? Shoot them?

I wish that if I am ever in a similar situation,
    I'd handle it as well as the OP.
    --Nick

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Which garage?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links