Drew my weapon - Page 5

Drew my weapon

This is a discussion on Drew my weapon within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really appreciate everyone's comments. I think you're right on by saying "what crime have they committed?" That's a great point. Could I back that ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Drew my weapon

I really appreciate everyone's comments. I think you're right on by saying "what crime have they committed?" That's a great point. Could I back that up in a court of law? Probably not. Awesome point by all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by nfrangip View Post
    What would you do if they just turn and walk away at that point? Shoot them?
    No, not at all. Let them go and call the cops. But my reasoning what that if you can get them to stop, sit down, and call the cops and have them arrested, then they can't do it to anyone else. Chasing after these guys or shooting wouldn't make sense. Although I have followed people who have committed crimes, but certainly not after I had a gun trained on them!

Anyway, I really appreciate the comments.

Can the OP please ask his Mom what garage this was? I'm guessing that it is the Avenues since Regency Mall doesn't have a garage and I don't think the OP would say Jacksonville if he was at the Orange Park Mall (he would have said he was visiting his parents in Orange Park). We don't live that far away from the Avenues Mall and since it was stated that there were multiple reports of this happening, I'd like to know for sure where it happened.

This is a good opportunity to help protect others by just getting that name and posting it. Thanks.
    I am the Walrus...Goo Goo Goo Joob

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

EdC
    To OP, Well done! I often wonder about situations where I would be justified drawing and where I wouldn't. Your description was perfect-justified in drawing, but certainly not shooting, or even pointing the weapon at the guys.

Glad you and your mom are ok. It might have turned out very different if you weren't armed.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walrusjax View Post
    Can the OP please ask his Mom what garage this was? I'm guessing that it is the Avenues since Regency Mall doesn't have a garage and I don't think the OP would say Jacksonville if he was at the Orange Park Mall (he would have said he was visiting his parents in Orange Park). We don't live that far away from the Avenues Mall and since it was stated that there were multiple reports of this happening, I'd like to know for sure where it happened.

This is a good opportunity to help protect others by just getting that name and posting it. Thanks.
    If he can answer.

Before reading this thread I probably would have drew and pointed. After reading, I think holding it low and not pointing was definitely the way to go, especially if there was a silent camera in the garage. Way to go OP aand thank you for opening my eyes.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

you did the right thing. glad to hear that you are ok

First of all iam glad you & your mom are ok
    Secondly if an event had to happen for her to see the "light" she was lucky that you had already seen it
    Hopefully this means she will be able to defend herself if theres a "next time"
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

As a new CCW I appreciate reading other's experiences. I chew them over thoroughly and only hope if confronted I'll think clearly and it turns out OK.

It comes to mind that people react when a gun is pointed at them. They may surrender, but they may also charge at you or draw their own gun and now you have a gun fight. Conversely, I would anticipate that holding the gun by your side would be perceived as changing the balance of power and that the intended victim is clear headed and able to defend. I hope that this scenario represents actions and outcomes of the majority.

I've read so many hours of I'd do this or that, that I've formed my own opinions even though I've managed to stay out of these situations. I've never agreed with don't present your gun until you have to shoot and received "counsel" from some members for it. At this point I still believe that BGs go into a scenario somewhat flexible and only commit to it when they feel it's safe for them to proceed. Waiting until they are committed to present may be too late.

Glad to hear you made it out of there ok. You did well, i probably wouldve done the same thing, acknowledge you are armed but dont run your mouth about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Well handled, IMO. Good situational awareness, shielded the mother, deterred the attack, and reported it. The only improvement I can think of is calling 911 faster- it's "the race to the phone" where the first one to call in is assumed to be the victim.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Welcome to the site and well done!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Yes, welcome aboard!

I generally adhere to keeping my weapon concealed/holstered unless willing to shoot however... there's nothing wrong with "arming" yourself as you did in your situation as long as it's not illegal in your state. In my state, that doesn't meet the legal requirements for "brandishing".

Nobody can make the call for you, when it's their turn THEN they get to make the call.

Glad all turned out and no shots fired!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I read somewhere recently that Jax has the highest murder rate per capita, or something like that, in the entire U.S.

Glad you're ok!

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

BGs were casing and testing you. You looked like a potential victim but they were aware of the risk of concealed weapons. You could have been a REAL BAD bad guy, a cop or just have a means of defending yourself.

Just because we don't like BGs that doesn't mean they are stupid. They are probably lazy though and unlikely to want to expend much effort and they really don't want to get shot.

So they do a dance with you. test you out. They don't do anything overt that can get them arrested if you are a cop but they project a bit of menace to see how you will respond. You communicated to them that you were armed and willing to defend yourself. They considered a bit whether or not you were really serious, then decided it wasn't worth it and left.

Really nothing more that could be done. They broke no laws and you weren't brandishing, just communicating an ability. Everyone goes on with their life and they get to do their dance with some other potential victim.

Good for you for realizing what was happening and taking control of the situation before it got worse (for you).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links