Drew my weapon

This is a discussion on Drew my weapon within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Impetus It was at a mall on a wednesday night, I'm not positive of the name, I've only been to Jacksonville twice. ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Drew my weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    It was at a mall on a wednesday night, I'm not positive of the name, I've only been to Jacksonville twice. (I was visiting for the weekend,) which is why my mom filed the report, becuase she knew the area.
    To answer the other common question, both their eyes darted to the LCP right away. Their eyes stayed on it for a good fifteen seconds before I moved.I was very confident they would both be on the pavement before they could touch either of us. I was worried that somebody could approach us from behind while we were distracted as well, so I just wanted to get moving as quick as possible. I was suprised that there were so few people in the garage, luckily we we're close to my Jeep.
    And finally my pocket holster is UncleMike's, and the LCP was loaded with Buffalo Bore Gold dot, my Dad keep it in his P3-AT, so I just mooch off of him ususally. I had one in the tube, ready to rock. Thankfully, I didn't have to.
    Thanks for the response. Good gun and great ammo.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Glad you and your mom are “ok”.

I asked which garage because we visit Jax from time, to time, and I’ve always feared the parking downtown, near The Landing.

2. Remove Ads

Now, are you glad you had you conceal carry with you ? Was MOM ? Great for you being very situationally aware in the situation and had an eye on them upfront.

Hope you reported it .

To the original poster, your reaction was spot on. I am a police officer and have had to draw my gun twice off-duty, and did much the same as you did. Prepared, gun used as a deterrent, but ready to deploy it if necessary. Your response was mature, measured, and appropriate to the situation at hand, kudos.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Quote Originally Posted by Kgregson View Post
    On Atlantic Blvd. SouthSide Blvd. or Blanding Blvd. It could be Regency Mall, Avenues Mall, or Orange Park Mall.

Think! This is important! Just Kidding, but I would like to know.
    While I was instrusting Sub sailors just up the road in Kings Bay we had several 'incidents' where my students were robbed a gunpoint, all at Regency.

Very good job keeping your head together during this 'incident'.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Glad that it all worked out for the best. That was a great outcome to a potentially bad scenario.

There are MANY times every year when the mere presentation of a firearm is enough to prevent very bad things from happening.

Sometimes that is all that is required.

That is why I absolutely hate to hear... "I'll only DRAW my firearm if I'm going to shoot!" from some members.

I don't know WHERE that came from and/or how that ever got started but, whoever has learned that should UNlearn it in a big hurry

Big time!

JMO, but a gun is a deterrent, not just a killing tool. If needed, draw it and show the intent, then let the course run and be prepared to follow it through.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    O.K. I'm going to ask it. Is this incident fact or fiction. This whole thing seems too perfect of a outcome to me. No more posts from the O.P., lack of details (location), and the whole "first post thing" makes me wonder. If I'm wrong I apologize in advance.

Glad it it all worked out. These stories/scenarios always get me jacked up and wondering what i would do. thanks for the post.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

As I "chewed" this one more, I began to wonder if open carry isn't as much a deterrent as a drawn concealed in the ready position. Would the BGs see the holstered weapon and not even approach you? If some would, would those same BGs stop if a concealed weapon was drawn and ready? I'm a GG but whenever I see a LEO I also see their gun and respect that.

Funny question for LEOs... When you see another LEO you don't know, do you check out their gun and mentally compare it to yours?

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    As I "chewed" this one more, I began to wonder if open carry isn't as much a deterrent as a drawn concealed in the ready position. Would the BGs see the holstered weapon and not even approach you? If some would, would those same BGs stop if a concealed weapon was drawn and ready? I'm a GG but whenever I see a LEO I also see their gun and respect that.

Funny question for LEOs... When you see another LEO you don't know, do you check out their gun and mentally compare it to yours?
    No. Almost every agency around here issues a Glock 22. There are some rare exceptions that issue other guns, but that seems to be the standard.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Defensive situation

One night about 0130 our doorbell rang. Our home is sitting in the middle of 9 acres, fenced with barb wire, and has no trespassing signs on all four sides of the fence. I looked through the peep hole holding my .45 pistol. It was a drunk college age kid. I opened the door pointing the .45 directly at him, and he yelled please don't shoot me. I asked his problem, though it was quite evident to me he was drunk. He said he ran his car off of the road and he needed some help. I said I know just who to call to help you, I called the sheriff and they came and arrested the kid for DUI. I just got back to sleep and the phone rang at 0300. It was the sheriff wanting me to write a report, which I did. They came out and picked it up. I could have charged the kid with criminal trespass, but I knew he was going to have a bad enough time with the DUI charge. I write very good reports.

Glad I never ran into you in my younger days.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

^ x2 scuba i'm with you
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    My mom, a very liberal, anti-gun type of person is now looking to get one for herself.
    They don't learn their lesson until they are put into the situation where they have to defend themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post

I just couldn't leave them there to manhandle the next person coming by. I don't know if I could live with the, "I wonder what happened to the next people?"
    Sounds like Silo is a good guy and will turn out to be a good LEO someday once he gets some training under his belt... But in case anyone is still mulling this question over in their minds, here's my $.02

The "next people" should be just as prepared as the OP. They should have already diligently prepared to defend themselves, applying for and receiving Florida CCW permits, weapons training, and reliable carry gun loaded with quality ammunition. Americans in every State except Illinois & Wisconsin (and maybe Kalifornia) are masters of their own destiny while entering scary parking garages at night. Always be ready.
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

That is why I absolutely hate to hear... "I'll only DRAW my firearm if I'm going to shoot!" from some members.
    Yeah somebody I look up to a lot always says a variation of that, "If the gun clears my holster it's going off..." I always thought it was a dumb thing to say too. All you have to do is read "Armed Citizen" once or twice and you see that many, or even most, times just the sight of the gun backs off the criminals.

Which I guess could argue for a highly visible type of handgun; maybe that's why I prefer stainless or chrome?? Hm...and I just like shiny things. I think I was a packrat in a previous incarnation.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links