Drew my weapon - Page 7

Drew my weapon

This is a discussion on Drew my weapon within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Quicksabre Which I guess could argue for a highly visible type of handgun; maybe that's why I prefer stainless or chrome?? Hm...and ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Drew my weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    Which I guess could argue for a highly visible type of handgun; maybe that's why I prefer stainless or chrome?? Hm...and I just like shiny things. I think I was a packrat in a previous incarnation.
    Interesting point! I have always carried a flat back handgun as my concealed weapon. I preferred them black because I was never of the mind to show its existence unless I needed it to go boom. Iíve always believed I didnít want the BGís to know I was armed.
    But after reading this entire 9 page thread, I can see where having an identifiable weapon to show your strength of response, may also play just as well as a deterrent.

Hmmmm! Iím going to have to rethink this.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Glad that it all worked out for the best. That was a great outcome to a potentially bad scenario.

There are MANY times every year when the mere presentation of a firearm is enough to prevent very bad things from happening.

Sometimes that is all that is required.

That is why I absolutely hate to hear... "I'll only DRAW my firearm if I'm going to shoot!" from some members.

I don't know WHERE that came from and/or how that ever got started but, whoever has learned that should UNlearn it in a big hurry.
    Agree wholeheartedly...what I learned (and what makes sense to me) is that I don't draw until I am willing to shoot if things don't change fast...

Good job for the OP

2. Never point your firearm at something you do not intend to destroy.

Until these individuals manifest an immanent deadly threat they are not targets, and pointing a weapon at them is not only dangerous but probably illegal. Drawing the weapon and holding it at his side as he did proved to be very effective and resolved the situation for him and his mother.

Waiting to draw until they rushed him and it could have ended very badly; its the Tueller drill but against two targets who were not close together. Unless the shooter is VERY well trained and a bit lucky almost certainly at least one would have closed the distance - even if wounded in the chest could have done serious damage before succumbing to blood loss.

Yes this may have violated a brandishing law but seems clearly the best course of action and the PD must have agreed so thats that. Good job OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I generally adhere to keeping my weapon concealed/holstered unless willing to shoot however... there's nothing wrong with "arming" yourself as you did in your situation as long as it's not illegal in your state. In my state, that doesn't meet the legal requirements for "brandishing".
    I'm not just singling you out, but there seem to be some people that assume the OP wasnt willing to shoot. I gather (also assuming) from what he's written that he would indeed have shot....**had it become necessary.**

He stated at what point he would raise the weapon and take aim. I think he would have taken it to the next step if he or his mom had been attacked.

IMO, he met a threat with an equal level of threat....and it deterred a crime. For that reason, I also dont think it would be illegal in most, if any, states (except the total non-carry states).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    Fair enough. As a person who tends to take things on that maybe I shouldn't (I'm an aspiring LEO for that purpose [because I want to have the ability and knowledge to be able to proactively help others]), I was wondering. I've pulled people from cars, followed drunk drivers, called the cops on public domestic disputes. Others (which I would include in the sheep definition) seem complacent with the bystander effect, thinking, "Well, it's not me, so someone else will take care of it." I think as members of a common society, if we're within our means and with good intentions, we should do something about it.

When I imagine myself in this situation -- and I readily admit that I might act completely differently if the situation really happened to me -- I see myself lining them up, making them lay down on the ground with their hands spread out, and having my wife (or mom in this case) on the phone with the cops, letting them know what happened, where we are, and MY description, so they know I'm the good guy. Stand there with eyes open and gun at low-ready.

Maybe that's wrong, but that would be my immediate inclination, I believe. What do others think? Would I be wrong?
    My perception of you is one of dangerous recklessness. The guy had his mom with him and I am sure that he just wanted him and his mom out of that situation as quickly as possible. I am sure he was thinking of the immediate danger, and the unknown potential danger of accomplices in the shadows. I think he did exactly the right thing. Self defense is just that, stopping the immediate threat, and getting yourself out of the situation, not taking on the roll of LEO. In fact, doing so could get a vigilante charge for you in the right circumstances. Nothing wrong with following a drunk driver and giving police their location, but pulling people out of cars? You can be viewed as the criminal in that scenario. You seem to be taking every opportunity you can find to play cop. A dangerous game your playing, and one that could potentially reward you with legal charges against you. The only way I would attempt to hold a BG is if it were in my home or on my property, or if in a public place, the crime was a serious one, and my surroundings supported me doing so. Dark parking garage, no witnesses to support your story of what happened, a potential danger of unknown accomplices in the shadows. Bad idea in that scenario. To be a cop, you first are required to be alive. To be a good cop, you need to use your SA and use a little more rational thinking. Is a purse thief worth the risk of the situation escalating into a shooting? It would be one thing if you were an LEO, but in this case, he did the right thing by getting him and his mother out of there as quickly as possible IMO.
    Last edited by Kinetic; January 12th, 2010 at 10:22 AM.

^

Agreed 100%, well said.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

+1 on what Kinetic said. And welcome to DC, Kinetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    My perception of you is one of dangerous recklessness. The guy had his mom with him and I am sure that he just wanted him and his mom out of that situation as quickly as possible. I am sure he was thinking of the immediate danger, and the unknown potential danger of accomplices in the shadows. I think he did exactly the right thing. Self defense is just that, stopping the immediate threat, and getting yourself out of the situation, not taking on the roll of LEO. In fact, doing so could get a vigilante charge for you in the right circumstances. Nothing wrong with following a drunk driver and giving police their location, but pulling people out of cars? You can be viewed as the criminal in that scenario. You seem to be taking every opportunity you can find to play cop. A dangerous game your playing, and one that could potentially reward you with legal charges against you. The only way I would attempt to hold a BG is if it were in my home or on my property, or if in a public place, the crime was a serious one, and my surroundings supported me doing so. Dark parking garage, no witnesses to support your story of what happened, a potential danger of unknown accomplices in the shadows. Bad idea in that scenario. To be a cop, you first are required to be alive. To be a good cop, you need to use your SA and use a little more rational thinking. Is a purse thief worth the risk of the situation escalating into a shooting? It would be one thing if you were an LEO, but in this case, he did the right thing by getting him and his mother out of there as quickly as possible IMO.
    I agree 100%. I am a LEO and we always tell our new guys if you witness a crime in which there is not an imminent threat to someone, be a good witness and call the on-duty police. The OP was right on to get the heck outta dodge and call the police from a secure location. As far as citizens pulling people out of cars?? I don't do that stuff off-duty, it would be risky and ill advised for the average citizen to do it. Not to mention the fact that to the responding police, the person pulling the alleged bad guy out of the car, looks like the bad guy himself. A gun does not make you superman or impervious to harm, it's just another tool in your arsenal.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

By pulling someone out of a car, I didn't mean pulling a bad guy out of a car! I was witness to a car wreck, and her car was on fire, and she was unconscious/just coming to. Fortunately before I was about to break her window, she came to a little bit and unlocked it for me, and then I carried her out and back to my car. Figured considering the car might catch further on fire/explode, it'd be better to, you know, get her out of there rather than leave her there and wait. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    Figured considering the car might catch further on fire/explode, it'd be better to, you know, get her out of there rather than leave her there and wait. Sorry for the confusion.
    Good choice

OH! Sorry, Silo, I guess I misread what you had initially posted. Well that's a horse of another color entirely. Good job.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

There are MANY times every year when the mere presentation of a firearm is enough to prevent very bad things from happening.

Sometimes that is all that is required.
    Happened to me, as well. Thwarted a two-on-one attack in a dark parking lot. Immediately after drawing on the "lead" thug, the two of them disappeared into the night. That's all it took.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    O.K. I'm going to ask it. Is this incident fact or fiction. This whole thing seems too perfect of a outcome to me.
    Drawing down on inbound robbers stopped the robbery that was imminent. I suppose one could term that "perfect," given what could have occurred. If the statistics that are published and promoted are to be believed, a couple million such situations occur annually in the USA. Had just such a situation occur to me, myself, some years back. I don't recall naming that specific parking lot either, in my synopsis. Doesn't make it less true.

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    The OP was right on to get the heck outta dodge and call the police from a secure location.
    Far safer, that way. Absolutely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    OH! Sorry, Silo, I guess I misread what you had initially posted. Well that's a horse of another color entirely. Good job.
    Not a problem at all. I should have been much more specific!

those guys are lucky.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links