heres a scenario for ya

This is a discussion on heres a scenario for ya within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; this is a true scenario that happened earlier this summer. I came home from the local dirt track. It was about 10:30 when I left ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heres a scenario for ya

heres a scenario for ya

this is a true scenario that happened earlier this summer.

I came home from the local dirt track. It was about 10:30 when I left the track and started home. On the way home I have a truck right on my tail. I did not worry about it like usual. I took a goofy way home to see if he would follow actually pulling a total 360 using some back roads. The guy followed. I drove to my driveway which is out in the country. My driveway is a .25 mile long and you cannot see my house from the road. I pulled over acting like I was going to let the follower pass. When I did the guy pulled around me and took off up another road. Our drivway is right up and intersection. I couldn't get an id on the vehicle. I didn't worry about it anymore. I drove up our driveway to my house and went in and watched some tv. I fell asleep in the lazyboy recliner out in the living room. woke up around midnight. Went to bed and fell to sleep.

I wake up to hearing an engine running beside my bedroom window. Who is out there. my driveway comes about 50 yds away from my house and I need to walk up to the house. I look out the window and there is a truck right outside my window. What the heck is he doing I don't know him. I glanced at the clock and it is 2 in the morning. About that time he floors it fish tails around the end of my house trailer and trys to get between my house and the trees in my back yard. My four wheeler will not fit through most of those trees. Behind my house is some hardwoods. I run to the living room through the house and see him up by the other end of my house trailer. I run back the hall and open the back door and step out on the steps back there. I start waving my arms and yelling WTH are you doing. At this point this fullsize truck was close to my house and I was worried he was going to damage it. At that moment the reverse lights came on. OH CRAP. There is a pump shotgun around the corner that needs the slide racked to have a weapon.

What would you do?

I will tell the rest of the story and the outcome after a few responses.

2. Remove Ads

Phone 911/dispatch and wouldn't have gone out of the house without a long-gun ready to go. Those idiots........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    911..... Shotgun racked... handgun tucked in the waist band... stay in the house... locked the doors....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Dial 911, lock and load, stay inside...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would have went to the door with shotgun in hand, hopefully after calling 911.

If I knew who was in the truck that might change my response, not knowing him or them and him or them being on my prosperity would made him or them trespassers and endangering myself and family.

LEOs may be some time away and depending on what the people in the truck do will determine what I would do.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

First, if I think I am being followed I am not going home. I will drive away from my house towards a populated area. Depending on my level of concern, I might call 911 or I might just drive to a well lit area.

Anytime I go check on odd noises I have my phone, flashlight and I will be armed.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    last place i'm leading anyone is to my home if i'm being followed...big tactical error...you made a circle out of your way to see if he followed you then lead him home...

you look out the window and the truck hauls a$$ through your yard...your first instinct isnt to call 911?...never mind that the response time is slow because youre in the middle of nowhere...it becomes a record and you might be able to describe the vehicle to them...in the event something happens to you they know what they are looking for...

i have the shotgun in my hand at this point and i'm heading away from where the truck is backing up to...but keeping it in view...and wondering if the person in the truck is the only one that is on my property...

i am a little confused as to whether you are living in a house trailer or there is a house trailer on your property...tactically i'm not sure the trailer is offering much security....

if this turns out to be your best friend screwing with you i am going to hunt you down and shoot you myself (joke for those who take things too seriously)...

it is a house trailer. the ones you see in a trailer park.

to pick up where I left off. he starts backing up. I get back in the house lock the door. by the time I head to the living room he has hit the side of my house and knocks the window unit out of the window. in a pair of shorts and a pair of shoes at this point I threw on I head out the front door.

why are you leaving a house you say call 911. well here is the kicker. I do not have a home phone. my cell is in my vehicle parked in my driveway along with another shotgun because I was actually heading to a clay bird shoot the next day. I get to my vehicle and by then my father is there. he lives in the next house before you get to mine. he asks what the heck is going on. about that time the truck comes around from behind the house trailer. turns and heads back towards where he was trying before but now on the front part of the property. he hits a tree backs up and gets a run for it and goes down through the woods. At that moment my mother had allready called 911 and dispatch was allready in route. 30 minutes later. they show up. With hands on guns they made their way to the taillights in the woods. The guy in the truck had drove down through the woods till he got hi centered on a downed tree. he blew his transfer case apart putting the truck in 4x4 and was still trying to make a get away by driving the truck when the cops got to him. he had the vehicle buried to the axles and had the tires down to the cords. When the two state police officers got him back up out of the woods and to the cruiser they questioned me on what happened. it was not the same truck from before. I found out the other truck that was following me was my cousin screwin with me on my way home. I gave him heck for it.

in this part of the country you do not have idiots doing stuff like this for the heck of it they are drunk normally. at first I thought this was a road rage incident gone bad. I figured the truck earlier was him and after following me to my driveway he went to the bar or his friends and got all tuned up. once I found out my cuz was the one that pulled the prank earlier I just figured this guy got lost in his drunken stupor. He actually ran over a few things up our back driveway before he made his way to my house and did the damage.

The guy was local. he lived less then 3 miles from me and his passenger was only less then a mile from me.

I made a lot of mistakes and I know that. I did not have a pistol at the time because I had thought you needed a LTCF permit to own one and have it loaded inside a residence. I now have a LTCF permit and a pistol to protect myself with. Considering the circumstances at this point I think I did fine. I would not have fired at him even if I was armed. I got out of the area and away from immediate danger. I figured this guy was either drunk or having a bad acid trip. I got to a place that I figured was safer then where I was. a house trailer is not the same as an actual house. With the lack of windows in my house I did not know where he was. I did not want to find out the guy would drive through the side of the house while waiting for the cops on the inside. thoughts concerns on how to handle it better?

this whole incident went down in less then a minute. it sounds like it was a 15 minute ordeal. my parents were woke up when he flew past their house.

Things I do now that I didn't before. I carry my pistol on my person at all times. even in the house. I have a cell phone in the house at all times no matter what. where I live at I can hear anyone coming up our driveway before I can see them. it took allmost two months to get over the paranoid feeling of someone coming to get ya after this incident. if I hear a vehicle coming up the driveway I look out the window. It was a real awakening for me to tell ya the truth. when them reverse lights came on I said to myself I am gonna be a friggin news headline.

and the guy was drunk. same as his passenger. both were nailed for various violations. I am lucky at this point. it could have been someone else and it could have been worse.

the reason i asked if you lived in a trailer was that my suggestion would have been to bail with the gun due to the lack of protection it would offer from a vehicle ramming it...you made the same decision i would if it had gone that far...whether its right or not only experience will tell you...

somehow the someone screwing with you did come into it...didnt it?...i'd kick is ass and tell him hes lucky you didnt put one in his brain...that ***** isnt funny...

sounds like a scary chain of events...puts what could happen into perspective...glad you have family that close to cover your butt too...

wise move to bring the cell phone in now...sorry it took an event like that to reinforce the necessity...

well the thing with my cuz is its an ongoing joke from back in high school. kinda hard to explain. now a days he just honks the horn and flips me the bird now. LOL. it just was a coincidence that it happened on the same night.

and I orginally thought the incident earlier in the night was related somehow.

I believe you could have defended your home with deadly force and been justified.

A truck is just as much a weapon as is a shotgun.

Being drunk is no excuse to do some stupid thing like this!!!!

Did they pay to fix the damage they caused?

They should learn to pray and get to know God, because most of the folks on this forum would have introduced them to Him with buckshot.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

yep the insurance paid for damages and he is in a ARD program. I asked the officer after I got the subpoena if I would have been justified in using deadly force and he stated yeah you would have but aren't you glad you didn't? I said I guess but it could have gotten ugly. in the end I learned alot from this.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    I believe you could have defended your home with deadly force and been justified.

A truck is just as much a weapon as is a shotgun.

Being drunk is no excuse to do some stupid thing like this!!!!

Did they pay to fix the damage they caused?

They should learn to pray and get to know God, because most of the folks on this forum would have introduced them to Him with buckshot.
    i really dont see where he had a cean shot...it happened in a short amount of time and it seemed he had all he could do to get out of his home while the truck was ramming it....he made a wise choice escaping danger and not trying to defend himself against a moving vehicle...safety is the number one priority and he accomplished that...

shooting a moving vehicle is a waste of time in this scenario....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "and the guy was drunk. same as his passenger."

All the more reason not to go out with guns blazing, as some on this forum would suggest. Just shows how the mind can create a worse situation than really exists. Just another idiot with too much booze. Wouldn't you have felt bad after finding out the guy(s) you shot full of holes were just smashed, not planning on doing any harm?

Let the LEOs and courts do their job. Slap the crap out of your brother, and keep your cell phone handy, dummy!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links