Unarmed and shot

Unarmed and shot

This is a discussion on Unarmed and shot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A guy my friend works with was at a stop light in a bad part of town. A van pulled up beside him and when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed and shot

Unarmed and shot

A guy my friend works with was at a stop light in a bad part of town. A van pulled up beside him and when the light turned green, the van accelerated and pulled in front of him blocking him in. Before he could do any thing to guys in ski masks jumped out and had him at gun point. He gave them $20 cash he had on him and offered the keys to his car "take anything just don't hurt me" when the BG's walked away on shot at him. The bullet went through his left arm, broke a rib and lodged beside his spine. He drove his self to the hospital and is recovering.

If he was carrying do you think there would have been a different outcome?

What would you guys have done?

Thanks for the advice!

When the first guy got out of the car with a gun and ski mask after cutting my car off...he would probably have a Chrysler Touring grill mark on his entire body...for starters
    Upon that initial reaction...I'd have to be there to see if the threat continued...
    To try a put it into reverse sounds like an invitation for BG target practice, so an aggressive tactic (it's all dangerous) appears the only option to me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

hard to say really if he got the gun pulled when he relized what was goin on and dropped one then the other possibly also scream those tires right at them run um over

I don't know if it would have changed the outcome, but it would've certainly given him a much better chance to defend himself or to counter attack.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

It would be pure speculation as to what the outcome would be but, it surely wouldn't have hurt if he had a gun.

He did have a very good weapon available at the time, his vehicle... Being in a vehicle and being attacked puts you at a greater disadvantage due to confinement unless you use it as a defensive tool.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I sort of agree with retsupt99. Stay in the car and ram your way out, forward, backward or both. Arm yourself while doing that. Shoot back if they start shooting.

There. Sounds easy, huh? Short of being at a SA level of a kajillion, the fact that he came out alive seems to be a victory. I don't think this scenario happens a lot (at least in most of the country), and odds are it'll never happen to 99% of us. Your friend got unlucky.

Could this guy have taken a different route to his destination? Is he good enough to have taken out both of the perps before he got plugged? Do you go out like a *****? Or do you go all Clint Eastwood on them and then drive away? Would I have done the same?

Hard to see a win here, friend.

Have a Happy New Year, and drive safe!
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

FYI, the blanked out word was p-u-s-s-y. Didn't seem so bad to me. I apologize if it offended anyone.
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

Use car as defensive weapon.

Draw CC or car gun and if they show a weapon or try to enter car by reaching in through window or opening door shoot.

Call 911 and report asap

If shooting occurs and you win don't leave area unless you feel your life is still in danger wait for LEOs..
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by electrfy View Post
    A guy my friend works with was at a stop light in a bad part of town....
    If your friend was mentally prepared to use a pistol and had one on his lap, it might have deterred the event. The guys in the van might have spotted the pistol when they cased the car.

Were I in a bad part of town, a pistol will be on my lap. Armed guys in ski masks jumping out of a vehicle that just cut me off - the shooting starts on target acquisition. If I can use the car, I am gone.

If you have to shoot a .45 inside a vehicle and you prevail, calling 911 will be difficult. Don't put down your head or your weapon. You might not be able to dial. You will not be able to hear normally. Your voice will sound like some strange recording made on a tin can in your teeth. So, if you can get the car going, be gone. If the neighbors come on the scene, you may be killed by the crowd. Get to a safe or defensible place immediately. Then call 911 and try to communicate your location. Ask for an ambulance for yourself. You may become ill or suddenly exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by electrfy View Post
    ... the van accelerated and pulled in front of him blocking him in. Before he could do any thing to guys in ski masks jumped out and had him at gun point.

What would you guys have done?
    The moment I saw (a) a car screech to a stop to block me in and (b) one or more armed people quickly exit and direct attention toward me, I believe my 3500 pound vehicle would become my immediate life boat ... and I would use everything in my power to survive the situation. The throttle, AWD, 3500 lbs and insurance are there for a reason: to survive the road.

Though it would depend on circumstances, situations like this are why I do the following basic steps while driving:

• Windows up.
    • Doors locked, in case someone tries to get to me. (Has been attempted twice.)
    • Car in gear, in case exiting the scene becomes critically important.
    • Leave a decent gap between me and the car ahead, to allow an exit.
    • Ideally, drive in the lane that allows me an "out" from balled-up traffic or someone blocking me purposely, if things should blow sideways.
    • Both hands on the steering wheel.
    • Head on a swivel.
    • Pay attention to what's going on around me.
    • Listen to the "little hairs" on the back of my neck when they try to tell me something ain't right.

All life isn't a firestorm, but it can happen in an instant. I prefer to have some options. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    When the first guy got out of the car with a gun and ski mask after cutting my car off...he would probably have a Chrysler Touring grill mark on his entire body...for starters
    Upon that initial reaction...I'd have to be there to see if the threat continued...
    To try a put it into reverse sounds like an invitation for BG target practice, so an aggressive tactic (it's all dangerous) appears the only option to me.
    Describe him officer? He's DRT (dead right there).

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The moment I saw (a) a car screech to a stop to block me in and (b) one or more armed people quickly exit and direct attention toward me, I believe my 3500 pound vehicle would become my immediate life boat ... and I would use everything in my power to survive the situation. The throttle, AWD, 3500 lbs and insurance are there for a reason: to survive the road.

Though it would depend on circumstances, situations like this are why I do the following basic steps while driving:

• Windows up.
    • Doors locked, in case someone tries to get to me. (Has been attempted twice.)
    • Car in gear, in case exiting the scene becomes critically important.
    • Leave a decent gap between me and the car ahead, to allow an exit.
    • Ideally, drive in the lane that allows me an "out" from balled-up traffic or someone blocking me purposely, if things should blow sideways.
    • Both hands on the steering wheel.
    • Head on a swivel.
    • Pay attention to what's going on around me.
    • Listen to the "little hairs" on the back of my neck when they try to tell me something ain't right.

All life isn't a firestorm, but it can happen in an instant. I prefer to have some options. YMMV.
    Exactly
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

First off , When I'm at a red light I look to the left and right more than likely
    the guy next to you would have looked or done somthing to raise a flag or two
    JMO H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

i pick my wife up on palm beach island, but to get there, i have to drive through basically a war zone in west palm beach. drug dealers, hookers, and crackheads talking to themselves on almost every corner. ive had 2 incidents that i successfully got out of.

1. 4 guys surrounded my car at a red light. i was the only car at the light, and because i am very alert when driving, i gunned it and pushed one out of the way.

2. something similar to the OP story. an old lincoln pulled out in front of me and the passenger got out and walked towards me. i always try to leave space or an exit route when i stop, so i jumped the curb and drove over a small median and did a u turn. they tried to follow me, but i lost them. slow old lincoln with big rims couldnt keep up!

ive had 2 friends get carjacked, one other had a car stolen. ive had 3 in car incidents since ive lived here, and see stuff happen somewhat frequently.
    because of that. i always drive doors locked, gun close, with an exit route and a keen sense of my surroundings. on my normal routes i try to memorize any spots where danger could come from. so far it has worked for me.

my tip: dont move to the palm beaches

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seemlessstat View Post
    i pick my wife up on palm beach island, but to get there, i have to drive through basically a war zone in west palm beach. drug dealers, hookers, and crackheads talking to themselves on almost every corner. ive had 2 incidents that i successfully got out of.

1. 4 guys surrounded my car at a red light. i was the only car at the light, and because i am very alert when driving, i gunned it and pushed one out of the way.

2. something similar to the OP story. an old lincoln pulled out in front of me and the passenger got out and walked towards me. i always try to leave space or an exit route when i stop, so i jumped the curb and drove over a small median and did a u turn. they tried to follow me, but i lost them. slow old lincoln with big rims couldnt keep up!

ive had 2 friends get carjacked, one other had a car stolen. ive had 3 in car incidents since ive lived here, and see stuff happen somewhat frequently.
    because of that. i always drive doors locked, gun close, with an exit route and a keen sense of my surroundings. on my normal routes i try to memorize any spots where danger could come from. so far it has worked for me.

my tip: dont move to the palm beaches
    wow...thanks for the advice...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links