I witnessed this today.....thoughts?

This is a discussion on I witnessed this today.....thoughts? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; cell phone in plain sight and let him kow the police are on their way and youve given them his plate number...from behind a closed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I witnessed this today.....thoughts?

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    cell phone in plain sight and let him kow the police are on their way and youve given them his plate number...from behind a closed window...he is going to be arrested and if hes dumb enough to continue the aggressive action you are in a large weapon that he is not likely going to win against...if there are other vehicles blocking you that means there are plenty of witnesses...dont brandish your firearm unless you feel it is necessry to shoot...you are inside a vehicle and pretty well protected...if there are no cars blocking you there is no reason to stay...but make sure he sees you on the phone and you let him know its the police...hes in trouble and road rage is serious business today...

he is more than likely just full of hot air and needs to vent...the police will give him plenty of time to vent as they are writing him up...and he'll learn a valuable lesson in the process....his approach is assault...if he strikes the vehicle with you in it it is most likely going to be upgraded to battery...you are in more ways than one "in the drivers seat"...let it play out or get out of dodge...but make the call to the police...dont let him get away with it...

you are not going to need your gun...unless he has a weapon...low and ready would be the drill...not seen...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    incidentally...if i witnessed that i would turn around and become a witness..the more attention brought to it the less likely the incident will escalate...i know if it were my wife being threatened i would appreciate someone turning around for it and i never hesitate to involve myself in some way if i feel someone is threatened...regardless of whether i am armed or not....

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I whole-heartedly agree with being a good wittness--just remember however, that for some folks, if they know you have watched/wittnessed them in a criminal activity, YOU may become the next IMMEDIATE target. (see my post "Another spidey-sense story"). Be a good wittness, but be prepared for unexpected consequences.........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar

Anybody ever ponder unlocking the door and when he/she is just about there...open the door hard and fast giving them a good smack?

"OOPS! My bad. You OK?"...SMACK..."Darn, I slipped a little in some oil right there, watch your step."....SMACK..."Gosh, caught my shirt on the latch, that's gonna leave a stain. You sure you're OK?"....SMACK...

Make sure the door is locked, start dialing 911, and let him see you calling.

He touches the door handle or, well, the vehicle at all, I may draw and keep it low ready, still on hold with 911.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    I'll try to be to the point. I was at a red light today needing to make a left turn onto an on-ramp. The arrow turns green as well as the lanes going straight turned green. However several cars kept going WAY after their light was red (Cars coming from a different direction, to clarify). Me and other cars honked at them, of course, to show our frustration at what they were doing. After the first two went by I was able to get through on to the on ramp.

Through my rear view mirror I could see this truck who stopped (in the middle of the intersection) after being honked at. A man got out quickly and proceeded to walk to the driver's window and I assume confront/yell/threaten that person.
    So my question for you all is what kind of action would you take if someone stopped in an intersection, blocking your car, and then got out to walk towards your window? (this guy had a long coat on as well.) -------I mean even if they did not have a weapon in hand they could easily produce one from their coat and kill you on the spot. Thoughts please. I didn't know if having a gun ready for him at the driver side window would be justified.
    Never provoke a-holes. They know what they did, honking at them serves no purpose other than letting them know that you want to take it to the next level. What's done is done.....just move on, life is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd probably just laugh at him and go on my way.
    I have on occasion smiled real big while waving like goofy Forrest Gump yelling, "Hey!!!" like they're a long lost friend I haven't seen in years.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You are more likely to be involved in and accident that be assaulted in you vehicle. Not a good idea to have a gun stuck anywhere in the passenger compartment. I can become dislodged during even a mild collision (Miami shootout). You may not be able to recover it, or more likely you are knocked out and whoever gets to the car first has your gun.

We have a class on Vehicle Tactics and I will cover some ideas here.

Always leave room to drive out of a situation if you can. If you cannot get drive away get out of the car ASAP. Make a habit of undoing your seat belt whenever stationary in a car longer than a signal. Seat belts are restraints, don't forget that. As you are approached open the door far enough to get your leg out and on the ground. if they get within the span of the open door, hit them with it for all you are worth. As you do, exit, draw your firearm and create distance around the back of the car. This does several things, it puts a physical barrier between you and your attacker, and creates an articulateness line in the sand. You already felt threatened enough to hit him with the door and draw a firearm, no he pursues you around the car. Another case of perceived indifference.

Things get more complicated if you are not alone in the car and even worse if you have a child in a car seat. Nobody said this stuff was easy.- George

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I would be curious what the stoplight timing looked like. I might go on a sunday morning and spend a few minutes watching it. A quick phone call to the dept of transportation might get it improved and a quick phone call to the non emergency police # might get some of the offenders ticketed.

As much as I dislike them, a red light traffic camera system has its uses.

Some cities seem to tolerate red light running more than others.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    Don't honk your horn at someone out of frustration. Situation solved.

Most states have a citation for "unnecessary use of the horn"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    When I'm in my truck, my gun is in a holster between the driver seat and middle bench seat. Someone other than LEO approaches my truck with anywhere near hostile intentions, it will remain hidden, but pointing at them through the door. If they produce a weapon, I will be ready.

This sounds like sage advice^^^^^^^^^^

Is a gambling problem still a problem if you always win?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Situation

Quote Originally Posted by BukWild View Post
    I would certainly let him see it, maybe put it up on the dashboard, in a non-threatening way of course...
    Wrong! "reckless endangerment with a firearm" in Florida, georgia, and many other states. Also, in thei situation, if you pulled it out and did not shoot, your life was NOT in danger, right?
    Actually, if you show it, the truck driver can call the cops and have you charged.
    I would have kept the windows and doors locked and dialed 911. If it esclated into life threatening, use it, don't wave it

drw
    I had almost the same thing happen to me. The driver that was annoyed with my honk, stopped to block me while the passanger got out and came towards my car. I just drove around the space he must not have thought he left me. My wife commented on how surprised he would have been to see my weapon(1911). I told her that would have been my last option, behind what I did, or having her call 911 while I kept an eye on him and stayed in the car as long as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Don't honk your horn at someone out of frustration. Situation solved.
    I agree Horn-honking etiquette

The intended purpose of the car horn is to alert another driver to some condition on the road.

These are valid messages to communicate with the horn:

•"There's about to be a collision if we don't take action."

•"My car is malfunctioning and is not in my control. Beware."

•"The light is green now." Driver's Ed Guru says that we should give the driver in front of us four seconds before we decide that they haven't noticed the light. If we honk to get their attention, it should be a quick beep, not a long blast.

You should not use the horn to say:

•"Get out of my way; I don't feel like slowing down." Always take the first step in avoiding dangerous situations.

In his book, My Sense of Silence: Memoirs of a Childhood with Deafness, Lennard Davis, a son of deaf parents, tells of how his mother was killed by a driver who probably assumed that she would get out of his way when he laid on the horn.

Honking to express anger
    DO NOT DO THIS! Honking is often a precursor to road rage! You don't know the other drivers around you and you wouldn't want to do anything that makes them so angry they violate the terms of their parole.

It's OK to honk briefly to let someone know when their driving is about to cause a dangerous situation. But if the danger is past, do not honk just to suggest that they should re-enroll in driving school.

Also, the latest research has proven that horn honking has no effect on clearing traffic jams.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links