I witnessed this today.....thoughts?

This is a discussion on I witnessed this today.....thoughts? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll try to be to the point. I was at a red light today needing to make a left turn onto an on-ramp. The arrow ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I witnessed this today.....thoughts?

I'll try to be to the point. I was at a red light today needing to make a left turn onto an on-ramp. The arrow turns green as well as the lanes going straight turned green. However several cars kept going WAY after their light was red (Cars coming from a different direction, to clarify). Me and other cars honked at them, of course, to show our frustration at what they were doing. After the first two went by I was able to get through on to the on ramp.

Through my rear view mirror I could see this truck who stopped (in the middle of the intersection) after being honked at. A man got out quickly and proceeded to walk to the driver's window and I assume confront/yell/threaten that person.

So my question for you all is what kind of action would you take if someone stopped in an intersection, blocking your car, and then got out to walk towards your window? (this guy had a long coat on as well.) -------I mean even if they did not have a weapon in hand they could easily produce one from their coat and kill you on the spot. Thoughts please. I didn't know if having a gun ready for him at the driver side window would be justified.
    A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace. ---James Madison, The Federalist Papers

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    When I'm in my truck, my gun is in a holster between the driver seat and middle bench seat. Someone other than LEO approaches my truck with anywhere near hostile intentions, it will remain hidden, but pointing at them through the door. If they produce a weapon, I will be ready.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I would certainly let him see it, maybe put it up on the dashboard, in a non-threatening way of course...

If you can say for sure that you felt your life or your loved-ones' lives were in mortal danger, then you have a right to meet the oncoming force with an equal force. In other words, if he produced a pistol and started to aim at you, go ahead and shoot him. But if he came at you just cursing his head off, you'd be on the hook for at least manslaughter (if he died).

If it was me, and he started laying hands on my vehicle or worse, I'd call 911 for a LEO, and then I'd get some witnesses. If he's not hurting anybody or your car, then let the bully blow off some steam . This does not make you a wuss or a coward. It makes you smart. Just because you carry doesn't necessarily mean you have to produce every time you're involved in an "incident". You're probably never going to see this guy again.

Just let it go.
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

My opinion based off of other threads here, if someone gets out of their car and approaches you, leave if at all possible (go around, back up, go a different way than you intended, etc.). If you are trapped by other cars and barriers, then do not roll down your window and have your weapon drawn and ready but out of sight. Have pepper spray ready as well. Let them cuss and scream (turn your radio up and you don't have to listen to it) and hopefully everyone can go home at the end of the day and you can rest assured knowing your preparedness and higher responsibility to de-escalate and tolerate idiots because you carry a weapon lead to a positive result. The idiot involved may never know your calm handling and not reacting may have saved his life....but you will.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Well, I don't agree with the option of flashing him with your piece. Sometimes that can set people right off and make him produce his own. Now you've raised the stakes, haven't you? He might just make you man up, if you get my drift. No one wants to go there unnecessarily.

Having it ready is one thing, showing is another.

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

+1 with BugDude.

NRA Member for Life

Good time for some OC spray and then just drive on.

Cell phone and 911 is in order.

I would not show him my firearm, but if he reached inside the window to lay hands on me then I would try to do him serious harm.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by golfnguns View Post
    Well, I don't agree with the option of flashing him with your piece. Sometimes that can set people right off and make him produce his own. Now you've raised the stakes, haven't you? He might just make you man up, if you get my drift. No one wants to go there unnecessarily.

Having it ready is one thing, showing is another.
    You know upon further thought, I agree, low ready, but out of sight.

I keep my weapon out of sight but available in the car, if someone approached my drivers door in an aggressive manner I would watch but keep the gun out of sight. Leave the situation and call on LEO is the better option unless he is directly threatening your life with a weapon.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Administrator
    I'd probably just laugh at him and go on my way.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd probably just laugh at him and go on my way.
    +1.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

No confrontation...drive around and keep going.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Back up, cut the wheels, and run him over. Stupid fool shouldn't have brought shoes to a car fight.

lol

Actually, back up and go around. Let the cops deal with the idiot... that, and the other cars being blocked by him as well that are probably calling 911.

I would drive off but you said that the car I would be in was blocked in. In that case I would:

1) Make sure my doors were locked and windows up.

2) Have my pistol in my hand but out of sight.

3) Keep my eyes on his hands.

4) Yell sorry since the goal is to end the confrontation without legal matters. I do not want to shoot anyone.

This is not cowardly, its smart. It is accomplishing my goal. My left my ego back in high school back when I was forced to grow up.

However if the fellow began to pull on my door handle, pound on my windows etc. then I would take that as a violent attach and I would draw and then if I felt that I had no way to escape harm, window broken in), I would shoot.

This worries me though because I read a story the other day where a man jumped out of his car and began to beat the heck out of the driver behind him and the driver shot and killed the man. The beaten driver was in the hospital for days and last I heard there was an investigation and he may face charges. The beaten driver never provoked the guy in anyway.

I'll try to find the story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links