What mistake was made here?

This is a discussion on What mistake was made here? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forget bad SA and tactics leading up to the initial push. What mistake did the shopkeeper make when he got pushed? At the point of ...

Thread: What mistake was made here?

What mistake was made here?

Forget bad SA and tactics leading up to the initial push. What mistake did the shopkeeper make when he got pushed? At the point of being pushed, how would you have handled it differently?

Callous Thugs Beat Shopkeeper Brutally - NothingToxic.com
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

2. Remove Ads

He made to many mistake to list. He got way to close to BGs and he didn't even know how to / wasn't willing to defend himself.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Yes indeed, he came to close to them and when he got shoved back,, he should have retreated and got the weapon his wife or whomever she was was trying to hit them with instead of going at them again.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    when he got shoved back,, he should have retreated
    Bingo! Whenever possible, move immediately away from the threat and to a safer location.

He had no plan...no weapon (equalizer)...no situational awareness.
    When the BG's closed the door, the owner's pistola should have made its appearance...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Tooooo many to list .... 'Retreat' ??? My training is the best defense is a strong offense... I could list off so many things he could have done that would have given him an instance advantage .... as well as left the BG's in pain / agony or in need of hospitalization ..

Trying to stop an attacker by grabbing them and hoping they will stop, does not work. Induce some pain and they will want to get away from you.

Putting aside all the mistakes he makes before the push, he makes a big mistake when he is pushed at 38 seconds into the video. It is a mistake that people like me can make--people whose natural fight or flight response is FIGHT!

When he is pushed, he has a way to retreat to his right. That is the better tactical move in this situation. If they come after him, they will most likely need to line up. Then he can continue to retreat or decide to take on the one that is closest to him, using the closest one as a shield against the farther one. Instead, he chooses to dive into the middle of two people and is almost immediately in the situation of having one on each side. That is a very dangerous position to be in.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    First warning sign at around 20 seconds, the suspects retracted when he first advanced and prompted them to leave to but they stopped and were looking around rather than at him. At around 28 seconds when he realized he was too close they advanced as he retracted while looking back and forth. Seen these two too many times to count in bars just before a fight.

The response to the push was just icing on the cake, really...

Links