Situational Awareness--seeing people's hands - Page 2

Situational Awareness--seeing people's hands

This is a discussion on Situational Awareness--seeing people's hands within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am very much a student of watching hands and eyes...body language is important and you can pick up quite a few things about a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i am very much a student of watching hands and eyes...body language is important and you can pick up quite a few things about a person form those....i have a funny story to go along with it...

a few years back my wife and i were walking at a festival and taking in the sights and sounds...we love to watch people...as we were walking up behind a mother and child carrying a balloon i traced the balloon string to the childs hand and noticed it wasnt tied in a loop and secured around her wrist (i regularly give balloons to kids at work and always tie them so i dont have to retrieve them from the ceiling)...just by luck as i'm looking the balloon string slips through the girls fingers and the balloon takes off...i reached above her and caught the balloon by the end of the string on my tip toes...brought the balloon down...tied a loop in the string and wrapped it around the girls wrist....the mom and my wife looked at me like i was god and i said "talk about luck. i just happened to see her lose the string."....the little girl went from tears to joy in a split second and i felt pretty good about the whole situation myself...

sounds funny but it was a good example of paying attention to my surroundings and i got to play hero to a little girl for about 30 seconds...keeping your eyes open has its benefits...

now i think about what a great diversion that would be to take someones attention away for enough time to pick a pocket in a crowd or similar....a balloon goes airborne...a child screams and everybody is looking up...nice team play...your eyes have to be everywhere....

I agree, good point. I relax my SA in common areas during my day and pretty much practice that when out and about 100% of the time. I try to do it with little to no direct intention, but the ones that make me nervous are the one's at the (stop N rob) with their hands in their pockets, especially their jacket pocket.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links