If knocked down, keep feet toward attacker

This is a discussion on If knocked down, keep feet toward attacker within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen a lot of videos of street fights in which one person is knocked down and then gets either kicked severely or stomped in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If knocked down, keep feet toward attacker

If knocked down, keep feet toward attacker

I've seen a lot of videos of street fights in which one person is knocked down and then gets either kicked severely or stomped in the head--sometimes fatally. In all of the cases I've seen, the victim allows his/her head or body to be exposed to the attacker without even trying to keep feet between him/her and the attacker.

If you are knocked down and you attacker is coming at you, try not to expose your head to your attacker. Keep your feet between you and kick hard at his legs when he tries to advance. Don't do like the victim in this video.

Cop Saves Man From Beating and Stabbing - NothingToxic.com
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    You know, I've travelled and trained with a lot of folks in various MA/SD Schools in different cities on different bases throughout my time and trained and been trained and I still find it amazing that a lot of instructors do not train their students in this one simple tactic until you can regain your feet or take your opponent out from the ground (knees/ankles) my favorite targets.

Thanks for the reminder. It's always good to have reminders.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    FWIW, we practice ground fighting. I practice kicking one foot toward the attacker while using the other to help "steer." I practice bucking someone off.
    I practice guarding my face and deflecting blows and then bucking them off.

The one thing I really can not do properly, due to age, is get myself up from the ground. I (and everyone really) need to make sure that isn't where we wind up.

Ground is one place where I can really see using a knife; if the attacker is trying to get on top for a choke.

I think one reason we do this in my lessons is that my instructor has a wrestling background, and fight MMA.

Good point made. If you can keep your wits about you and are able to get to or hang onto your knife you will essentially have a multi-directional attack option.

As previously stated knees are a prime target for kicks. For knife attack at the legs you have quads, patellar tendon, popliteal artery (posterior knee), downward stabs to the top of the feet and achilles tendon.

Obviously get back to your feet quickly as possible.
    Templar

In our TKD classes, we practice ground kicks just like we practice regular kicking.
    Just pivot around with the attacker and if they bend to hit or grab, front kick or side kick in the face, neck, groin-whatever is your best target.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

One thing bothers me about that video; cop seemed to have no concern whatsoever for the health of the victim.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    The same goes the other way around. Try really hard not to get the feet of your assailant between you and them. I advise over and/or behind their head if you can manage it so they have maximum time to find, fix, and begin to move against you.
    Prof. Al Dacascos lost a family member due to this. The assailant attacked his family member and had been knocked down in the scuffle. The attacker then saw he was outmatched and drew a firearm from his waistband as he held Prof. Dacascos' relation off while he began firing to fatal effect.

The fall itself is most peoples undoing. That is why we train to fall, fight off the ground, or fight on the ground and continue.- George

In my class we were trained for hours in defense from the ground. Both laying on the back and laying in the fetal position. We also practiced firing from the hip while protecting our heads from an assault such as a baseball bat. All three were a good starting point for further exploration. If you have never fired a handgun laying on your back or in the fetal position..well..lets just say it is enlightening.
    Culture cannot be inherited. The culture of previous ages will vanish unless each new generation wins it for itself again and again. Only that for which we have worked, or even suffered, truly belongs to us. - Zoltan Kodaly

a good kick and taking out their knee, will put them on the ground with you.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Sounds good, but not sure one can always do it. Sometimes one is knocked down by a blow that causes temporary unconscientiousness.

I guess such is good in a very small percentage of cases, but mostly I look on much of this training as a game that might be fun to play for some.

I wonder if there has ever been a case of a CHL holder who needed this particular training? But I concede that, like the martial arts, it is fun for some.

Regards,
    Jerry

VIP Member

re: Jerry M

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Sounds good, but not sure one can always do it. Sometimes one is knocked down by a blow that causes temporary unconscientiousness.

I guess such is good in a very small percentage of cases, but mostly I look on much of this training as a game that might be fun to play for some.

Regards,
    Jerry
    I agree with the concept you have here. A guy my age doing a fall "induced or assisted" by a BG opponent is going to break something; either a wrist, hip, or something on the face/skull.

While it is great fun to practice ground fighting, I assume that I would be done for if I were ever actually knocked down by a much younger BG. This is stuff for the under 50 crowd, I'm afraid.

Best to hope for would be a small opportunity to use a gun or a knife--else they'll finish you off if that is their intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I assume that I would be done for if I were ever actually knocked down by a much younger BG.
    If that is one's mindset, it will likely be true.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
    One thing bothers me about that video; cop seemed to have no concern whatsoever for the health of the victim.
    Yeah, he doesn't know who's who or what the situation is, but he doesn't seem to be in too much of a hurry to check the guy out. But what bothers me is that it appears the cop barely draws in time!

VIP Member

Fighting through

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    If that is one's mindset, it will likely be true.
    A person can fight through perhaps with a broken wrist. They might be able to fight through with a broken nose. A fractured hip is end game. A fractured vertebrae pinching the spinal cord is end game, and a fractured skull is likely end game.

No amount of positive thinking and attitude is going to change the pathology and physiological consequences. It doesn't happen in the treatment of grave diseases such as cancer (notwithstanding many claims) and it isn't going to happen on the street.

In my case, better to work on staying upright. In fact, all should work on staying upright and putting the BG on the ground first.

There's a limit to what can be accomplished with "positive thoughts."
    And I'm not talking about self-fulfilling prophesy. I'm talking about the reality of old bones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links