If there were no guns...

This is a discussion on If there were no guns... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This might be interesting... Imagine for a moment that gunpowder was never invented... ergo, no guns. But you have a Concealed Weapon Permit, and all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If there were no guns...

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

If there were no guns...

This might be interesting... Imagine for a moment that gunpowder was never invented... ergo, no guns. But you have a Concealed Weapon Permit, and all hand-held weapons are legal. What personal defense weapons would you carry...?

Personally, for concealed carry, I'd carry nunchukus and a fixed blade combat knife... and maybe some knuckles, too...

Open carry...? That's a no-brainer... all of the above, and a katana.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

2. Remove Ads

I would carry a big stick or Machette.

A comically large hammer :) Seriously, it would be a knife and some type of spray canister.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I would carry want was determined at its invention to be the ultimate weapon. A weapon that would end all wars or even end civilization as it was known. "THE CROSS BOW"
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I would carry a defensive flame thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    I would carry a defensive flame thrower.
    That backpack could be bulky... a can of Aqua Net and a Bic lighter in a nice sharkskin OWB might be easier and very stylish...

"Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by purwater View Post
    A comically large hammer :) Seriously, it would be a knife and some type of spray canister.
    Good call... pepper spray never occurred to me, and that generally stops an attack, or at least makes them easier to dispatch...

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    My modified Katana and a Recurved Bow/Arrows.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I would carry want was determined at its invention to be the ultimate weapon. A weapon that would end all wars or even end civilization as it was known. "THE CROSS BOW"
    +1 Nice little Hand-Crossbow on my right hip!

With dart magazines (quivers) on my left.

When expanding the logic of "Wouldn't you agree the world would be better off if guns were never invented?" arguement from a 24 yr old neophyte (girlyman), I put that at the top of my list of replacement weapons.

I took the premise a little farther when I let him have "Nothing made of metal at all" argument... no knives, no swords, no spears, etc., even gave him rocks & slings, baseball bats and no bows and arrows made of wood and sinew for a "no weapons at all" scenario and asked him what he would do if 4 guys my size decided to walk down the neighborhood and do what we pleased since no one had the wherewithall to stop us.

Even if we were dumbed down to the point of not knowing we could fashion a weapon at all I could kick his behind easily all by myself (taller, heavier, longer reach, and way more experience in dealing out a beating to a ne'er-do-well) and most certainly if I had friends to do it with me. You can't take away all the weapons and expect peace. Wasn't the first recorded murder done with the jaw bone of an azz?

He left with no more to say. I think he got a little upset he had no argument because no one ever before gave him an inch of what he proposed and what it would mean if he got his mis-guided wish.

Guns are equalizers like nothing before. To deny that is both stupid AND evil. I like my girl having her 60ls. They look sexy together and I'm sure she can handle a tough guy better with it rather than looking for a rock to throw.

Of course this works both ways. If there were no guns or gunpowder, then the BG's would not have them either. So what would the BG's use as an offensive weapon. That's what you would need to protect against.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I can see it now...

"Honey, where did you put my sword ?? I'm heading out to Wally World for a few things."

bosco

Man has always had a violent nature.

Rocks, sticks, and rocks connected to sticks and the list just moves on to modern firearms.

Personal with no gun power I would go with walking staff 1/4 staff think Little John from Robbin Hood type, and short sword Roman style, and fixed blade short knife.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

If firearms had not been invented as the great equalizer, then folks would likely still need to be relying on the sword and other manual/H2H implements.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member

Having a reaver's background

See Pix

As you can't see it all:

2 Sgian Dubh -- one in sock & one under shirt
    Dirk and targe
    Scottish Basket Hilt Broadsword
    #90 lb pull Longbow W/ a quil of bodkin point arrows
    A horn brace on left arm

BTW -- under that wool bonnet there is a steel bonnet (you can see the edge of it over my left ear) & I am wearing a jack-o-plate under the shirt.

Although not on this ride, sometimes I also rode w/ a lance.

BTW2 -- as at my age, I can no longer pull the 90# bow, I'd need to lighten it up a bit.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DaveH; January 2nd, 2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: forgot the brace
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I'd carry Chuck Norris.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links