Intentional targeting under stress - Page 2

Intentional targeting under stress

This is a discussion on Intentional targeting under stress within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No, most likely not. I know my abilities and I trust my training, but attempting some kinda 'Hollywood' shot isn't an option under MOST circumstances....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intentional targeting under stress

No, most likely not. I know my abilities and I trust my training, but attempting some kinda 'Hollywood' shot isn't an option under MOST circumstances.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I imagine that under stress I could shoot a bad guy in the arm...however, it would be because I missed COM.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Administrator
    Is the gun/knife wielding BG static or in motion?

If stationary a laser would make it possible/feasible for many folks if they have shot under stress prior.

Last year I messed up my knee but, every year before last I would do my hard and fast run through the woods and then immediately go for the B-27 targets. A pretty good stress simulator as far as the heart rate and breathing are concerned. I always just went for COM though.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If I am prompted to use my weapon I will not be trying for a hail Mary shot. I'm not going to jeopardize my life to take an intricate shot, it's COM to stop the threat.
    If one were to take that type of shot and successfully disarm the BG, does that necessarily stop the threat? What about multiple weapons such as the knife in the other hand you did not see because you were fixated on the gun?
    Way too many loopholes for me to gamble my safety or loved ones safety on.
    This one says it for me.... As usual, spot on.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I have read that many times people get shot in the weapon arm or hand. As the bad guy attacks our eyes lock on to the threat (weapon). From there it's simply panic driven eye to hand coordination taking over. The weapon points to where the eyes are looking and BAM gunshot to the hand. I would never try it on purpose though.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Hope I'm never in that situation personally!!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Hip shots with a snubbie from 50 feet knocking the gun out of a BGs hand may have made for good TV in the 70s (i.e. Hawaii 5-0, book 'em Danno), but unrealistic and not a wise use of your time and ammo. If justified in using it, then use it wisely and effectively.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sure, as long as he's holding that arm over COM.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Y'all: Before I even purchased a firearm, I looked in the mirror, talked to myself, and talked to the only other person who mattered--my wife. I was 100% convinced that if I purchased that firearm for protection there was absolutely no doubt that I would use said firearm if I reasonably feared for my life/safety. I was also convinced that it I ever had to fire the weapon, I would do everything I could to be sure of my firearm and sure of my ability to use it and sure that I would shoot to eliminate the threat to my life. In my book that does NOT mean movie acting and somehow shooting the gun out of someone's hand. I think all of my fellow repliers on this thread have echoed these thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Is the gun/knife wielding BG static or in motion?

If stationary a laser would make it possible/feasible for many folks if they have shot under stress prior.

Last year I messed up my knee but, every year before last I would do my hard and fast run through the woods and then immediately go for the B-27 targets. A pretty good stress simulator as far as the heart rate and breathing are concerned. I always just went for COM though.

Hope your knee is feeling better bro. Brownie, as a knife and gun guy you know where I am going with this.

I am sure you have written about it before but I would also like your thoughts on the old "two to the chest and one to the head" drill, and if you think it is doable under what you know to be combat stress.- George

Mic
    Only in Hollywood,,,, always shoot center mass, however I am prety accurate with my .40 at 30m, thats how I know the BG's heart will stop.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    ......also like your thoughts on the old "two to the chest and one to the head" drill, and if you think it is doable under what you know to be combat stress.- George
    If practiced and drilled constantly and repeatedly......maybe(?).

I practice double taps after running for the 'knowledge' and experience of my own abilities (and lack of). It's still a part of our gun quals semi-annually. But I wouldn't 'expect' myself to do that even 'IF' I have enough time to aim and 'call' my shot.......I've been told, read, practice, and believe that you'll perform (or fail) to your level of training. Two COM shots followed by one to the mellon is not realistic me thinks.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

So fare I have never seen it happen in training and don't currently know of anyone who has been able to do it in the US. I hear stories from other parts of the world about all kinds of stuff somebody was able to "pull off". There are lots of things I have done that people chalked up to skill, I prefer to talk them up to luck. Luck because I cannot replicate them under manufactured stress with any consistency.- George

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You mean like the Danish cops that shot the terrorist in the arm and leg,I'm shooting for COM,arms and legs can move way too much during a trigger squeeze,and I don't think (Now quit moving so I can just wing ya )works in the real world

So did the Danish cops shoot the terrorist in the arm and leg because they missed COM?

My preference is to knock them out by just creasing the head with my bullets.

"Aim small, miss small." Great advice from Mel Gibson in "The Patriot."
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links