Intentional targeting under stress

This is a discussion on Intentional targeting under stress within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you think that under stress you could shoot a bad guy in the arm he was holding a gun or knife in? Would you ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intentional targeting under stress

Do you think that under stress you could shoot a bad guy in the arm he was holding a gun or knife in? Would you be comfortable trying?

I think if a BG was holding a gun or a knife and was coming at me, I wouldnt being shooting for his arm, I would shoot for COM. As far a stress is concerned, I could make the shot.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Bio Mechanical Cutting advocates think that's perfectly reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Bio Mechanical Cutting advocates think that's perfectly reasonable.
    We have a winner.

If I am prompted to use my weapon I will not be trying for a hail Mary shot. I'm not going to jeopardize my life to take an intricate shot, it's COM to stop the threat.
    If one were to take that type of shot and successfully disarm the BG, does that necessarily stop the threat? What about multiple weapons such as the knife in the other hand you did not see because you were fixated on the gun?
    Way too many loopholes for me to gamble my safety or loved ones safety on.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

In case anyone thought I believe it's a good idea, I was being sarcastic.

I think it's a terrible idea.

You mean like the Danish cops that shot the terrorist in the arm and leg,I'm shooting for COM,arms and legs can move way too much during a trigger squeeze,and I don't think (Now quit moving so I can just wing ya )works in the real world
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Nope.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Most people? No. Certain people? Absolutely.

One thing that occurred to me a decent while ago while I was rereading "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" is that for a lot of the stuff in there, it helps to be Bruce Lee. The same goes for a many of the techniques out there. They work absolutely amazingly well if you put in the years of practice, but you won't get much out them "real world" after a 4-hour seminar.

A lot of people dog BMC because it's different, but I'm quite certain that the people who have put in the mileage for it's effective use, it's quite effective indeed.

If I'm in a position that I find it necessary to shoot, I will be shooting to STOP the attack and not just disable it.

Depends on the distance to the target and the weapon, no?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I would think that you could expect some possible legal problems from trying. God forbid if I ever have to use my weapon in self defense, I want the totality of the circumstances to be as cut and dry as possible. So just from a legal standpoint, I think this is a no go. Tactically, an appendage shot is not guaranteed to end the situation either.

But to get back to your answer, I'm not so sure that I could pull that kind of shot off with a ton of adrenaline being dumped into my system. I'd be a whole lot more comfortable aiming for the relatively huge COM.

Not the arm or leg, but if someone is holding a knife to my wife or kids throat I may very well take a head shot. If they are trying to leave I would take it. The odds of them getting hurt by me are far less than by the BG. But outside of some crazy situation like that, it's COM. If I'm justified to shoot I can shoot COM. I tend to not freak out until the situation is resolved. I've not been in that type of situation, but some that I have been in I have done well enough to think I could. I also know what the consequences of not performing or acting would be.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    It's CM for me unless the situation dictates differently and I will assess that then. As far as BMC oh well, people make money off everything they can.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

If I had a family member or close friend who lost it and attacked me with a knife due to mental illness, I might take the risk of a warning shot or "winging" them. Anybody else, no reason to.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links