Combat reloads, BUGs and other secondary gear

This is a discussion on Combat reloads, BUGs and other secondary gear within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, Im wondering... Does anyone here know a story of a civilian CC holder who was forced to: A) Reload in combat, especially a high ...

Thread: Combat reloads, BUGs and other secondary gear

Combat reloads, BUGs and other secondary gear

Ok, Im wondering... Does anyone here know a story of a civilian CC holder who was forced to:

A) Reload in combat, especially a high capacity autoloader

B) Draw a BUG

C) Resort to a back-up longarm in his/her car

D) Deploy a knife in addition to or instead of the gun

E) Deploy a flashlight/handgun combination

Im not arguing in favor or against carrying that gear, I only want to hear accounts of it being useful. Personally, I find it hard to picture a likely SD scenario in which these things would come in handy.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by elmu View Post
    Ok, Im wondering... Does anyone here know a story of a civilian CC holder who was forced to:

B) Draw a BUG

Im not arguing in favor or against carrying that gear, I only want to hear accounts of it being useful. Personally, I find it hard to picture a likely SD scenario in which these things would come in handy.
    Pick up a copy of Ayoob Files: The Book. Ayoob put a number of his armed-encounter stories from his American Handgunner feature, and several of the episodes cover the topics you list, although some involve cops as well as "civilians."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

A- Sometimes you are more worried about mag failure than running our of ammo. But try to run one dry and see how quick it happens. In a high stress situation I have heard that most folks empty the mag.

B- I know some folks keep the bug a pocket to access in a mugging. IE, let me get my wallet.

C- Can't help you here.

D- Inside 21 feet my CCP instructor said he would rather go with the knife, but he has the training to do it. Knife plus gun, don't see it happening. Maybe getting to knife first could happen.

E- Flashlight/handgun I see happening. There was a story here about a guy using a flashlight to get away from a jerk harassing his clients at a club.

No "real" useful info outside of the flashlight story. But a few things to think about. Think about this too. What is the likelihood of using the gun alone? Probably not very high. I still carry that anyway. I also carry pepper spray, knife, flashlight, and extra mag. I like options.
    Last edited by chiefjason; January 3rd, 2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: re format post

I think whether or not one can cite specific instances of Concealed Carry persons having to execute your A-E scenarios is irrelevant....The bottom line is you will Fight the way you train. And preparedness is part of training. Therefore perhaps we need to be prepared to execute some, if not all of your scenarios and train as such. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Never seen it or know anyone who had to, but it's always better to be safe then sorry, IMB.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Didn't you post another question regarding cops handling situations in the movies? This sounds like another movie script.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Quote Originally Posted by elmu View Post

Yes, although one of the cases I'm thinking of, the good guy didn't have a reload and was forced to close with and disarm the badguy.

B) Draw a BUG

I've personally had to do this, as I was deflecting a blade with my stronghand. I can also think of a few cases where the good guy and gal had to draw BUGS.

Not offhand, but I can think of a case or two where it would've changed the outcome for the better.

Yup

It's kind of hard to hit your target if you can't see him or her.

Just because you don't find something likely doesn't mean it hasn't, can't or won't happen. Even people that carry guns can have a head in the sand mentality.

Biker

Links