Just took care of an assault patient / lesson in observation

This is a discussion on Just took care of an assault patient / lesson in observation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 63 year old healthy female, had been out shopping and paying with large denomination bills she pulled from a bank envelope. Gets home just after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just took care of an assault patient / lesson in observation

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Just took care of an assault patient / lesson in observation

63 year old healthy female, had been out shopping and paying with large denomination bills she pulled from a bank envelope.

Gets home just after dark, parks car in the back yard and carries groceries to the back door. Hears someone running up to her but figures it is a neighborhood kid.

Turns and sees a thug pointing a gun at her saying "I'll shoot you, give me the purse!" and acting very nervous. She instinctively drew back her purse. He grabbed the purse and clocked her on the head with the gun. She released the purse and he ran away.

She said it had been her intention to fight the thug but she didn't anticipate getting her clock cleaned and blood flowing everywhere. She could not remember if any one followed her home. She lost her cell, about $1,000 cash, credit cards, and a flash drive with her entire lesson plan (she is a teacher).

And of course she said she never imagined being assaulted in a suburban small town area, in her own yard. Also note her husband is an attorney in private practice, but years ago he did public defender work. They are aware of the realities of crime. The Sheriff's Dept has a scent dog out there now trying to get a track in case he didn't go back to a car.

Between us all we figured the guy must have had an accomplice stop the car in the street long enough for the BG to run up on her, then he ran back for the getaway. This was a country road just out of town with 2 side streets nearby and a lot of vehicle traffic. More bold would have been for him to be acting alone and park his own car in the driveway. Since he was armed and ended up pulling this robbery, it would seem that it was to some extent premeditated. The only other option we could figure was that someone was lying in wait for the attorney but attacked the wife as a target of opportunity.

EDIT TO ADD: AS I TYPE THIS ABOUT AN HOUR AFTER THE INCIDENT, A CALL JUST WENT OUT A FEW HOUSES DOWN FOR SHOTS FIRED!!!

So what can we learn from my patient's experiences?

1. Be very cautious with flashing cash around.
    2. Be aware of who is around you, and if they are watching you.
    3. Check 6 before leading someone to your home.
    4. Never let your guard down when doing things that are routine.
    5. If you become aware of something unusual, don't assign a non-threatening explanation. Move to identify it, and counter the threat.
    6. You might think you know how an assault will go down, but it will not follow your plan.
    7. Be prepared to adapt and overcome.
    8. Minimize your time of exposure to assault.
    9. Have one or more weapons and be prepared to use them.
    10. Know your limitations. Are you trained, and physically and mentally capable of fighting an armed man for your property.
    11. Dimly lit back doors are no match for well lit front doors.

Anything else?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

Anything else?
    yeah...pull your kid out of her class...she obviously doesnt have much common sense or comprehension of the news she reads...

your list is great...what amazes me is that people can read and watch the news...i would assume an educator would...and still live in total darkness..."i cant believe i would be assaulted in a suburban neighborhood"....spending and carrying large amounts of cash in public...

sorry...rant over...

Hope she's OK, and also hope it makes her more aware of her surroundings.

Also hope whatever happened with the shots fired works out for the best. That is, the BG down, and the potential victims safe and sound.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    yeah...pull your kid out of her class...she obviously doesnt have much common sense or comprehension of the news she reads...

your list is great...what amazes me is that people can read and watch the news...i would assume an educator would...and still live in total darkness..."i cant believe i would be assaulted in a suburban neighborhood"....spending and carrying large amounts of cash in public...

sorry...rant over...
    ^^^^ yep^^^^^
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

That really sucks!

Unfortunately a lot of people suffer from denial!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    That really sucks!

Unfortunately this statement is sad but very true
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the post, I just sent this out to my close friends and relatives

Very good advice Gotta have SA

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I see people all the time in stores that just did their banking carrying around a wad of cash still in the envelope. When they pull it out it is an invitation to all who would stoop so low, that they are prime pickings.

Being she was oblivious to his approach having a gun of her own would have not helped as he had the drop on her already. Furthermore had the gun been in her purse she would have lost that also.

Please update us on the shots fired when you know something.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I see a new member of sheep dog coming along real soon

hopefully she was smart enough to have the information on her flash drive backed up. Unfortunately, knowing how most people think, she probably didn't. :(

Glad she's ok.

VIP Member
    Good list.

Anything else?
    Some people you just can't help.

63 year old healthy female, had been out shopping and paying with large denomination bills she pulled from a bank envelope.
    She's been around long enough to know better.

her husband is an attorney in private practice, but years ago he did public defender work. They are aware of the realities of crime.
    She's had enough experience close at hand that she should have known better than to be flashing cash, assuming this is how she was targeted. If this wasn't how she was targeted, it changes things some, but it still doesn't sound as if she took any precautions.

If she had a garage and used it, she might have been inside before the BG made contact.

10 to 1 she doesn't make many or any changes in her life due to this experience. If someone has been around 63 years and they don't take basic precautions, especially after having been exposed somewhat to the criminal element, I don't expect them to change now.

"Yes, I'm aware of crime in our society, but it will never happen to me."

I hope I'm wrong in my analysis of her. Please, lady, prove me wrong. But I won't hold my breath waiting.

This is just about as bad as the people walking around with a bunch of gold chains hanging around their necks. When you advertise.that you have a lot of money you are asking to be robbed. She was lucky to survive this time.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    That really sucks!

I agree completely, this is a great pic.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The shots fired call turned up nothing.

She did say she was going to arm up. Hope it works out for her.

Her husband made a comment about always carrying his gun around, then followed it up by saying he didn't carry often. Huh? When we left he was getting ready to take her to the ED, carrying his gun around in his hand. Guess he doesn't own a holster...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    The shots fired call turned up nothing.

She did say she was going to arm up. Hope it works out for her.

Her husband made a comment about always carrying his gun around, then followed it up by saying he didn't carry often. Huh? When we left he was getting ready to take her to the ED, carrying his gun around in his hand. Guess he doesn't own a holster...
    Now might be a good time for a range trip offer and a real edgumecation...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links