Twenty one feet is way too close!

This is a discussion on Twenty one feet is way too close! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get off the X and keep moving draw your weapon as your moving make it hard for him to get to you. I don't believe ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twenty one feet is way too close!

Get off the X and keep moving draw your weapon as your moving make it hard for him to get to you. I don't believe that the officers were moving away from the targets were they? If they were not than they should have been.
    Live in yellow or die in white.

2. Remove Ads

21 feet is too close
    In fact this was just on "the best defense" on the outdoor channel. They were demonstrating how fast an attacker can strike you from 20 feet away & 20 feet seems to be in the BG's favor especially if your not 100% focused on the threat
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Read my post on the Tacoma Washington shooting.......

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...c-content.html
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Y'all: All of your responses have been very informative and well-worth reading, however I do have a sort of question/statement. If I am out and about and am aware of my surroundings as we all should be, I have doubts that my first inclination of an attack (not the actual presentation of a weapon but just that "feeling") would come at greater than the magic 21 feet in this thread's titile. I would, at a much further distance, already have my hand on my firearm still CC but almost out and about and, in a darkened situation with more of a "feeling", perhaps at my side. I assume the 21 feet is just that distance where obvious open bodily harm is about to intrude on you---my comments would extend your belief at least another 10 or 20 feet and make the situation more in your favor. Just commenting

Not sure how you would have that feeling if someone came out from behind cars in a parking lot.

Regards,
    Jerry

Be ready. Be trained. Be hopeful.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    thats whats been missing in here...a well thought out and long winded post by Janq...howve you been?...good holidays?..
    :p

Happy New Year bnb!

Took off from work for two weeks (!) to do nothing but shovel snow and make like a jungle gym all day play partner for my kids.
    Somewhat but not quite well rested. Better than nothing though.

I hope all was and is well on your end.

Regards,

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    We can't really use traffic stop videos to illustrate keeping your distance in regards to what we are talking about. Performing traffic stops requires that LEOs be within that circle of 21 feet easily, that's part of the job, all other points are well taken.

That's why we as a unit while in the military started practicing and training in the MA/SDs systems, so when we had to be in those close encounters, we would not solely rely on our weapons. I still to this day advocate to all of you to learn some type of Self-Defense System, not elaborate, anything system to give you that simple edge will do, heck even the YMCA programs are quite simple and effective for men and women.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Does that assume that you will just stand there in the same place?

Good post! THANKS!

My CCW trainer said to:
    1 Shoot-2 him-3 til-4 he's-5 down, you follow me?

Continue to shoot until the threat is no longer, no matter how many shots....

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    We can't really use traffic stop videos to illustrate keeping your distance in regards to what we are talking about. Performing traffic stops requires that LEOs be within that circle of 21 feet easily, that's part of the job, all other points are well taken.
    Clearly.

The point of the video as within context to my post, which was supportive to bnb against a query by kelcarry, was to show what can and often does occur as once a threat is within ones 21' radius 'bubble'.

Of course LEOs are required to close distance.
    That is a given per the job.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey bladenbullet: Appreciate your comments on my reply but what does "between 2 cars" or "around the corner" have to do with the 21 foot scenario of this thread. Those scenarios are your 2 foot scenarios in which case there is very little you will be able to do---he will be on top of you before you have a chance to proactively react, which is what I was talking about and what you were saying. If we are going to use 21 feet, then also factor in awareness as extra footage. Personally, when I am walking out and about, I am always looking ahead of me and try to be aware of what is behind me; I am also trying to be proactive to my surrounding area and that includes walking in a parking lot around parked cars or coming to a dark corner--my comments are really about total situational awareness that not only can keep you out of a "what if" but can also, extend the 21 foot standard that this thread is all about.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Clearly.

The point of the video as within context to my post, which was supportive to bnb against a query by kelcarry, was to show what can and often does occur as once a threat is within ones 21' radius 'bubble'.

Of course LEOs are required to close distance.
    That is a given per the job.

- Janq
    Jang, it was not meant for you so much as even the narrator of the video made the comment on it about being in close proximity as if the regular traffic cop had a choice, my comments were more for our young members as not to take these videos as gospel.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey bladenbullet: Appreciate your comments on my reply but what does "between 2 cars" or "around the corner" have to do with the 21 foot scenario of this thread. Those scenarios are your 2 foot scenarios in which case there is very little you will be able to do---he will be on top of you before you have a chance to proactively react, which is what I was talking about and what you were saying. If we are going to use 21 feet, then also factor in awareness as extra footage. Personally, when I am walking out and about, I am always looking ahead of me and try to be aware of what is behind me; I am also trying to be proactive to my surrounding area and that includes walking in a parking lot around parked cars or coming to a dark corner--my comments are really about total situational awareness that not only can keep you out of a "what if" but can also, extend the 21 foot standard that this thread is all about.
    my post is relative to the fact that it is unlikely that you manage to keep over 21 feet between yourself and those types of situations...walking in a parking lot it is difficult to be more than 21 feet from parked cars unless the lanes are pretty darn wide...this means that someone hiding between or abehind vehicles can close on you in a short period of time...same with around building corners while walking on sidewalks, etc....

regardless of awareness there are situations that present an element of surprise unless you have xray vision...in thos einstances you will be forced to either put distance between an assailant and yourself in a very short time or be able to defend yourself against whatever weapon they might be wielding with something other than your firearm...

i hope thats specific enough....

Ask yourself this question-

Out of all the times I have drawn my gun from a holster and engaged a target, how many times have I stayed in the same spot instead of moving?

If you have only shot on square ranges they have rules and usually one is staying in your lane. You probably won't move under one time combat stress if you never have during training. And I will say again, the glue seems to be the habit of putting the off hand on the gun. We do not move well with something in both of our hands pushed out in front of us. Body mechanics are body mechanics whether you have a gun in your hand or not. All the purchased hardware typically a hinders us from getting the most out of your issued software.

Another questions-

If you are doing a drill with a guy 21 feet from you with no visible weapon, but you have the following on your person but not in your hands, would you rather start off open handed or with one the tools-

OC
    Knife
    Pistol

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    hey bladenbullet: Agree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links