Twenty one feet is way too close!

This is a discussion on Twenty one feet is way too close! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guardian Jang, it was not meant for you so much as even the narrator of the video made the comment on it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twenty one feet is way too close!

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Jang, it was not meant for you so much as even the narrator of the video made the comment on it about being in close proximity as if the regular traffic cop had a choice, my comments were more for our young members as not to take these videos as gospel.
    Ohhh.

Yes, but to the narrators credit the LEO did make two fatal errors.

First was being off her guard as at point of contact with the driver as he exited the vehicle.
    Possibly she thought okay this is a guy driving with his family/kids, he won't act a fool in front of them. Wrong.
    We all know that is far from common life happening fact.

Also she did allow herself to be off guard and well within the BGs personal space as while at the side of the road (!) a having him out the car for some good reason which almost is never because the driver is a good guy (!) and she was not paying attention to his hands. Had she positioned herself further away outside of his punch radius (~3 feet) at a minimum of say 6 feet then she would have had some time to react and at least doge that first punch.

After that first punch she would effectively nullified as it landed square and pretty much appeared to have been a TKO for her.

Proximity to fire results in scorching if not burns. Thus keep your distance.

That is the lesson we can all take away from that video be we civilian or LEO. There are many other vids of same showing civilians falling subject to the same BG tactic and action.
    I'd just selected this one from past memory because the thread started out as being LEO related.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    good read.... But If i was a bad guy and wanted to do harm to you as the GG... I'm not going to present my knife/weapon until I'm point blank in your face... You aren't going to get 21 feet to react to me.... So take some close quarter combat training and be prepared to get cut.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

This is the time to be able to move and accurately place a round or two in the BG. It's not like shooting at paper.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Ohhh.

Yes, but to the narrators credit the LEO did make two fatal errors.

First was being off her guard as at point of contact with the driver as he exited the vehicle.
    Possibly she thought okay this is a guy driving with his family/kids, he won't act a fool in front of them. Wrong.
    We all know that is far from common life happening fact.

Also she did allow herself to be off guard and well within the BGs personal space as while at the side of the road (!) a having him out the car for some good reason which almost is never because the driver is a good guy (!) and she was not paying attention to his hands. Had she positioned herself further away outside of his punch radius (~3 feet) at a minimum of say 6 feet then she would have had some time to react and at least doge that first punch.

After that first punch she would effectively nullified as it landed square and pretty much appeared to have been a TKO for her.

Proximity to fire results in scorching if not burns. Thus keep your distance.

That is the lesson we can all take away from that video be we civilian or LEO. There are many other vids of same showing civilians falling subject to the same BG tactic and action.
    I'd just selected this one from past memory because the thread started out as being LEO related.

- Janq
    That she did and my thoughts exactly on the family/kid concepts here, I always thought that made them more dangerous, that they would act the fool trying to impress so I played it even more cautious with them.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

21 foot rule

In our training we tested the 21 foot rule. Not one deputy was able to get his weapon out and brought to bear on the suspect before he was stabbed, not one. I know the rule works. Never take chances on a person with an edged weapon, do not get close enough to them so they can cut you before you can react.

I know I can clear my 1911 way faster than 1.5 seconds, I practiced the quick draw w/inspirations from Todd Jarrett. I've done it before in half that time after being assaulted from behind, lifted my shirt and all. More my of ego bruised than my body. You guys really should practice your quick draw. I know those would say its not the same thing, I say your right, but, it can be done w/practice, you must make a fact in your world that all strangers are armed and intend to do you harm until proven other-wise, Oh yea, this was during the time I used a cross draw from my left, I got extended magazines so decided to use traditional draw. Now that I think about it I'm switching back. Faster draw time. "Trombone Demon" " I'm very Ultra-Conservitive when it comes my country but, I think Obama is very good for it,"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links