SA lesson for my son, and why I HATE purse carry! - Page 3

SA lesson for my son, and why I HATE purse carry!

This is a discussion on SA lesson for my son, and why I HATE purse carry! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bunny, Great summary of the difficulties you're having! Okay... 1) If you want to carry on your right shoulder, you need a left-handed concealed carry ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SA lesson for my son, and why I HATE purse carry!

pax
    Bunny,

Great summary of the difficulties you're having!

Okay...

1) If you want to carry on your right shoulder, you need a left-handed concealed carry purse, or at least a fully ambidextrous one. You will not find one from Galco (they claim "ambidextrous" and as you discovered, that is not congruent with reality).

2) You'll need to draw left-handed. It simply is not physically possible to draw right-handed with the purse on your right shoulder. Just like a shoulder holster puts the gun on the opposite side from your dominant hand, a horizontal-draw carry purse does the same.

The draw from a horizontal-draw CC purse is basically similar to the draw from a shoulder rig -- with the added complication of lowering the zipper first, of course. Although, if you hate zippers entirely, Coronado makes some great purses with Velcro-sealed compartments rather than zippers. Faster access, noisy but who cares!?, and very much less visible to the rest of the world than those prominent locking zippers.

Given your objection to the locking zipper, and your description of the problem, I'd suggest two brands for you to look at:

1) Gun Tote'n Mamas. These purses have zippers that do not lock. Every one of them is truly ambidextrous, with either a matching zipper on the other end of the purse, or with a continuous zipper that allows you to position the opening where you want it. Their straps are steel-reinforced, and the internal holsters are stiff rather than floppy. Their "Raven" is the fastest purse draw I've ever seen.

2) Ladies Protection LLC. These purses feature a vertical draw, which is much more similar to a crossdraw holster than a shoulder holster. No locking zipper. Internal holster is soft and floppy, in different sizes to fit different sizes of firearms. You will need to order a left-handed purse if you want to use one of these, but they are well-designed and should suit your purposes just fine -- and if you choose the crossbody style, you could easily set it up to allow a right hand draw from the left hand purse. I'm talking about the Slimline. I haven't had my hands on their Hobo so can't tell you about that one. The Defender is, IMO, a bit large for what you get.

Hope it helps a little.

Oh, the other option is to wear a right-handed crossbody design from Coronado. That puts the strap on your right shoulder, but the bag on your left hip. Right handed draw from there. But it would be a change for you from what you're used to as far as how you carry your purse -- and I don't know how wedded you are to having the purse itself on your right. If you opt to go that route, I'm quite fond of the Coronado Satchel; Coronado's internal wrap-around holster secures the gun inside the purse without any need for a retention strap, and holds the gun very securely indeed.

Hope it helps.

Kathy
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

or do like the old wise woman I know does (late 60's 4'10" tall petite...) - she just shoots through the purse - no draw at all - you should see the looks she gets at the range

she puts five rounds of .357 mag into a silhouette at 10 yds and her hubby smells smoke (the purse was on fire)

my mom carries in a leather fanny pack (she's late 60's too)

Bunny, more on purse draw.

The brand I use (I just have one purse) are inexpensive...$50 range, nice leather, but wont last forever.

They have ambidextrous zippers (non-locking)....2 zippers, one on each side that meet in the middle **or wherever you set them up.** There is a leather tab on either side that you make sure sticks up between both zipper pulls.

When in need, you hold purse with one hand and you rip that tab in the opposite direction and the entire gun compartmet is opened, fast. (Rip tab as far as you need...it can be up to the entire side of the purse or just enough to get hand in and remove gun. It's also quieter than velcro. Altho there is velcro inside for holster and mag. And it comes with a holster in there. You can face it for either left or right-handed draw as well.

I have a backpack style but I usually carry it over one shoulder. I'm not a fan of purses in general, lol, but gotta carry my 9mm somehow!

Not only that, but most purses I've seen have ambi zippers. If they are relatively smooth zippers, you could easily add the pull tab to the purse if they didnt have it. One thing I dont like is that the purse straps are not cut-proof, like Gun Toten Mamas are. That is a 'nice-to-have' for sure.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

pax
    9MM ~

Brand name & link, please?

KJ
    Kathy Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I guess I'm saying always keep your SA up and teach your kids to, and would you have done any different? (Yeah, I know you GUYS don't purse carry.)
    Even if I were a women, I doubt if I would purse carry or fanny pack carry even if it was designed with a break-away. I don't know about OC but I sure would not hesitate to tuck the gun into a pocket or into my jeans in a pinch.

I would say don't just explain to JR what mom did, show him. We have many 4-6 year olds learning gun safety here and shooting at the range. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

pax
    I don't know about OC but I sure would not hesitate to tuck the gun into a pocket or into my jeans in a pinch.
    I carry on-body nearly all of the time, but there are occasions when on-body carry is logistically or stylistically impossible -- and those usually aren't occasions when jeans are an option, either.

Women's dress slacks don't typically have pockets. And even when they do, the pockets are usually vestigial and non-functional, with no depth to them at all -- and unlike men's slacks, women's slacks are typically either designed of flimsy material to "flow" with the body, or of tight material which clings to it. Either way, a pocket gun looks like a tumor in most women's dress slacks.

Annoying, but there it is.

pax
    Kathy Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    9MM ~

Brand name & link, please?

KJ
    It's a Roma, the one at the bottom of the page.

It's hard to tell from those pics, but some can be accessed from the top of the purse too and the velcro they mention is for holding and positioning the internal holsters. I dont know if any open using velcro.

Concealment Purses from Roma Leather
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    I carry on-body nearly all of the time, but there are occasions when on-body carry is logistically or stylistically impossible -- and those usually aren't occasions when jeans are an option, either.

Women's dress slacks don't typically have pockets. And even when they do, the pockets are usually vestigial and non-functional, with no depth to them at all -- and unlike men's slacks, women's slacks are typically either designed of flimsy material to "flow" with the body, or of tight material which clings to it. Either way, a pocket gun looks like a tumor in most women's dress slacks.

Annoying, but there it is.

Kathy,
    Point well taken.
    I also read your excellent magazine article about curved womans shooting belts.

I guess we both know men are from Mars and women are from Venus.

In a pinch, What is OP from purse carry? She has a holster too? Or does that mean outrightly open carry in the palm of your hand?

If I were a woman in distress Code Yellow, I think would sooner tuck the pistol into spandex or any other place rather than risk brandishing.

pax
    SIG
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I just hate purses. They're an encumbrance. I wear all my ID/cash on my wrist, and I like it like that. Less to lug around. I like to just get out and go, and not have to dig into some black hole of stuff to find, say, a stick of gum.

If I can't fit it into my wrist-wallet or the pocket of my jeans, (or IWB/OWB) it's not necessary to have on me. Period.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

pax
    I just hate purses. They're an encumbrance. I wear all my ID/cash on my wrist, and I like it like that. Less to lug around. I like to just get out and go, and not have to dig into some black hole of stuff to find, say, a stick of gum.
    Bunny,

I'm with you on that! (Not really a girly girl here -- often find myself wondering, "What in the world do women put in these things, anyway?") About the only time you see me with a purse is when there's a gun in it.

But for me, I simply won't go out without my firearm unless it is outright illegal to carry it or very literally impossible to carry it discreetly. And you know, I like to push limits, so my definition of "literally impossible" is not a loose one!

pax
    Kathy Jackson

pax
    In a pinch, What is OP from purse carry? She has a holster too? Or does that mean outrightly open carry in the palm of your hand?
    Sig -

OP? Can you translate, please? I'm usually fine with abbreviations but this one stumped me!

pax
    Kathy Jackson

I'm in agreement as well. Dont care for purses in general and the main reason I carry one is to carry my gun. Most of the gun purses I've seen are more appropriate for business attire and I'm very casual.

That's why I chose the backpack style (carried on my shoulder) and am looking at some of the Maxpedition and other tactical/outdoors-type bags.

I'd love the Gun Tote'n Mamas 'saddlebag' one tho....if I had the $$$.
    Fortune favors the bold.

VIP Member
    Sig -

OP? Can you translate, please? I'm usually fine with abbreviations but this one stumped me!

pax
    Pax,

I thought it meant original poster.

I hate acronyms and abbreviations don't you?
    I usually try to refrain from them.

heck, I can't even remember what LOL stands for anymore.

Jim
    - Zen Saying

It could be "original poster," of course referring to the first person who made the thread.

Or it could refer to "original post," that is, the first post, and the post that sets the topic.

So if someone says "well... going back to the OP," it probably means they're trying to get back on the topic of the thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links