SA lesson for my son, and why I HATE purse carry!

This is a discussion on SA lesson for my son, and why I HATE purse carry! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We had a WEIRD evening tonight. I took 10-yr-old Bunny Jr. with me to buy a new area rug, and it was in the "University ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SA lesson for my son, and why I HATE purse carry!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

We had a WEIRD evening tonight. I took 10-yr-old Bunny Jr. with me to buy a new area rug, and it was in the "University City" area of Charlotte (NC), which isn't known for its LOW crime stats.

First, I had to purse carry today because of wardrobe issues, I was in my work clothes. Second, it started getting dark by the time we got to the carpet/rug store.

We walked in, and no one was there. I looked around and opened up my purse, just in case, so that my Sig was more easily accessable. We're talking in normal voices, looking at two different rugs when boom, lights out.

We had no idea if the owner just shut off the lights to close up, and just didn't realize we were there, or if something else was going on. All the other stores in the strip mall were lit up, so it wasn't a power failure. I put my hand on the grip, just in case. Gun was still holstered and inside my purse. Called out SEVERAL TIMES before the store owner realized anyone was inside, and turned the lights on again.

Lesson for Jr about how the store owner had very bad SA and how that could have potentially gone wrong for him if it wasn't us in the store, but folks with bad intent.

--------
    Leaving the store, like 6 yards from the door, a vagrant approached us VERY quickly and started to follow, calling out to get our attention. Purse still open, my hand once again on the grip, (still where no one else could see it, but only Jr and I knew what I was doing) I stated several times that he needed to walk on, leave us alone, we were not interested, etc. He kept following. Finally I stopped, stared him down, and in a VERY authoritative voice told him to move on. He did, but he ran behind some pillars where we could not see him. We ducked into another store and I decided it was better to probably OC at that point. Let's not debate the merits of OC here.

I hate purse carry. I like to have my pistol on my hip, where I have it accessable ASAP. It's my fault, but I only train to draw from the hip at the range, guess I need to start training to draw from the purse. I'm not very comfortable with that yet, clearly.

--------
    Finally at the third and final store, drove to a primo spot on the side of the building and noticed the street light was out, so I circled around to a parking spot farther away but well-lit. Quizzed Jr about why Mom did that, and he was right on target! Woohoo!

And yes, we finally got our new area rug. THIS one is supposed to be puppy-proof, thank goodness, as we still have "leaky Trigger" issues :) lol
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I guess I'm saying always keep your SA up and teach your kids to, and would you have done any different? (Yeah, I know you GUYS don't purse carry.)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Well done, I think that you were right on target with your SA. Glad that Jr got the message. Practice "purse drawing and presentation" at home with unloaded Sig to increase your comfort with purse carry.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Glad to hear all went well Bunny. You were just a stones throw away, I'm glad I didn't have to see you on the news explaining what happened.

Stay safe.

pax
    It's my fault, but I only train to draw from the hip at the range, guess I need to start training to draw from the purse. I'm not very comfortable with that yet, clearly.
    That.

If you ever use an alternative carry method, you owe it to yourself to practice with that carry method.

Good story.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I gave up carrying a purse a few years before I started carrying a concealed firearm, so the transition was a non-issue for me.
    It gave me such a sense of freedom to not have to lug that old bag around wherever I went.
    Really I didn't need it and I ended up lugging more stuff around with me when I went out.
    Having to watch over it like a child wasn't much fun either. Now I carry my wallet in my back pocket, my keys either in a jacket pocket or clipped to a belt loop, my cell phone in it's own holster, a folding knife in the other rear pocket, and my firearm on my right hip.
    The addition of the gun and holster, added another feeling of freedom.
    The gun adds another couple pounds, but still a lot less weight(and worry) than a big sack of stuff, slung over my shoulder.
    Bunny is there a way you could work carrying into your job and work wardrobe, without that old bag?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Not MMQB just calling out that here's another real case where a nice surefire, fenix, mini maglite, coleman, etc...... flashlight comes in real handy. Light in the left hand gun on the right. Good job on being ready to defend yourself and maintain control of your gun.

Good SA for
    • Opening your purse early at the first store, for quicker access, even before you identified a threat
    • Especially for how you dealt with the guy who approached you outside
    • Finding another parking spot where the light worked

The only thing I might have done differently (and maybe not, but you didn't mention it) would be to have used my flashlight when the lights in the store went out.

That has happened to me before: Cabella's, last year, during a violent thunderstorm. The lights went out, some dim emergency lights came on, but I whipped out my flashlight and continued shopping. I'm amazed at how often I use my flashlight even in the daytime, much more often than I ever expected.

Concerning your holster, would a good paddle holster have allowed you to quickly switch to OC, or did your clothes not allow something like that? At least you were armed, and were aware of and dealing with the cons of purse carry. You made it work for you.

Very well done on teaching Bunny Jr. the elements of SA and the benefits of being armed! Self-defense for him will be (if it isn't already) as natural as can be. I doubt he'll have to work through any of the anti garbage that society throws at our children before they (some) eventually realize the fallacies. I wish I had started with my daughter as early as you started with Bunny Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Teach your kid that good SA means everything..... Just like his mommy has and they will go much further in life
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Sounds like you have a smart kid on your hands. Great job teaching your child SA. That will serve them in a lot of ways in their life. I try to quiz my wife that that on occasion. Sometimes she responds well and opens her mind to think, other times I get the eye roll and the "don't lecture me" look. I suppose that would be the same with most kids too.
    Walk softly ...

Purse carry is the better alternative to no carry. Which is where my wife is currently. She's a homebody, so she does not go many places without me with her. I'm working on it.

I'll second the flashlight. I have a fenix Olight and PD 30. They are both awesome. The Olight is tiny if size is an issue. Reasonably priced at $55 and $60 respectively.

The bum was a good candidate for pepper spray too. But a woman has an easier time explaining the shoot than us big guys, 6'1" and 215 lbs.

Glad it worked out well for you. When I saw University area I cringed. Makes the new too much. Good for teaching Jr some solid life skills!

Do you carry a light (flashlight)? I ask because a high-intensity light in the vagrant's eyes would probably give him pause...and when he goes to shield his eyes, you'll be able to see his hands....just a thought
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    well played and lucky child to have someone teaching them the right way to protect themselves without losing their cool....

Good post Bunny, keep up the good job with Jr!

sounds like you handled yourself very well. i'm real familiar with the charlotte area (im from the rock hill area ) which is almost as bad. stay alert and stay safe \

might want to consider carrying a flashlight with you from now on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links