Cougar attack

This is a discussion on Cougar attack within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure where it happened, think I saw it on HLN. Dog, looked like yellow lab, intervened between 11 yr old boy and cougar. Dog's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cougar attack

Cougar attack

Not sure where it happened, think I saw it on HLN. Dog, looked like yellow lab, intervened between 11 yr old boy and cougar. Dog's rightly called a hero and survived but only because someone shot the cat as he chomped down on dog's head. Details anyone?!?!?

Bob

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    'Angel' Dog Saves Boy From Cougar Attack.... Illinois i think.. from this thats what i found...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Hmmm, I was expecting a story about a sexually aggressive middle-aged woman...

First I've heard of this story, thanks for posting it. Hope the doggie pulls through quickly, and he's definitely a hero. If I was his owner, he'd be eating steak for a LONG time.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Sure wish I could get attacked by one of them thar "cougars".
    "I wish I would have done the hard things when they were easier to do."

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm glad the dog is ok and dang right, steak for a long, long time.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Hmmm, I was expecting a story about a sexually aggressive middle-aged woman...

First I've heard of this story, thanks for posting it. Hope the doggie pulls through quickly, and he's definitely a hero. If I was his owner, he'd be eating steak for a LONG time.
    Me too, hade to double check which section this thread was in!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMRC View Post
    Sure wish I could get attacked by one of them thar "cougars".
    No, I really don't think you want this type of "cougar" to attack you. Unless of course you have a death wish.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Katana;1440826]Hmmm, I was expecting a story about a sexually aggressive middle-aged woman...

I was hoping for such a story.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Seriously, now, that's the one thing I worry about. Our farm is in Western W.Va., one of the two "rural" counties of W.Va. according to the Governor's office. Very hilly, forested land. Wolves, coyotes, black bears, ok. But a cougar's sneaky and will jump on your back from behind and crunch your skull before you know he's there. I've got a S&W model 29 "mountain gun" in a cross-draw holster so as to be able to shoot under my left arm into such a beast. But I'm not sure how effective I'd be with large canines sticking into my neck. And there's no EMS out there, and the nearest neighbors are miles away.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

VIP Member
    Those of us who live in cities and suburbs often lose track of the fact that there exist dangerous wildlife often fairly close outside the city limits.

I am fairly sure I saw a bobcat one time in an area on the east coat where there had been some attacks; it might have been a large feral cat, but I don't think so-- too big.

I know someone who has a mountain lion poking around their farmland and neighbors cattle ranch, not all that far from civilization and actually just 10 miles from a major interstate hwy.

I saw this on the news. At the end they asked the boy how he was going to reward his dog. He answered they had already bought steak.

The dog saved the boy and the deputy saved the dog (luckily he was only a 1/2 block away).

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I saw this on the news. At the end they asked the boy how he was going to reward his dog. He answered they had already bought steak.

The dog saved the boy and the deputy saved the dog (luckily he was only a 1/2 block away).
    No doubt, considering this happened in Canada. I don't think our northern friends are allowed to have a handgun in the home. Are they allowed a rifle or shotgun?

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I wonder if the boys family is considering owning their own guns now?
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Seriously, now, that's the one thing I worry about. Our farm is in Western W.Va., one of the two "rural" counties of W.Va. according to the Governor's office. Very hilly, forested land. Wolves, coyotes, black bears, ok. But a cougar's sneaky and will jump on your back from behind and crunch your skull before you know he's there. I've got a S&W model 29 "mountain gun" in a cross-draw holster so as to be able to shoot under my left arm into such a beast. But I'm not sure how effective I'd be with large canines sticking into my neck. And there's no EMS out there, and the nearest neighbors are miles away.
    I like dogs, but do no own one as they are too much trouble. However, in your situation I would own at least one and maybe two large enough to help in a situation where I might be attacked by a lion or whoever.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    No doubt, considering this happened in Canada. I don't think our northern friends are allowed to have a handgun in the home. Are they allowed a rifle or shotgun?
    Yes, they're allowed all three, pistol, rifle, and shotgun. The only thing I know of off the top of my head is that a pistol barrel must be so long, and cannot be under that length (4 inches I think, I welcome correction if I'm wrong) and that there's a 10 round limit on magazines.

Any Canadian members around who can clarify the law?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links