Surviving the active shooter

Surviving the active shooter

This is a discussion on Surviving the active shooter within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Surviving the Active Shooter | Modern Combative Systems Blog...

Thread: Surviving the active shooter

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    You know, I used to work in a school building and these are some of the same tactics we went over in a security seminar. I think they are very good tools to use!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

RMS
    Great info. Should be posted in every employee hand book.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Those are all good ideas, but it seems like common sense to me, and probably to most of us here who ARE aware and prepare physically and mentally for sittuations. It is good to get the info out there for the general public though.

I can't stand it when you hear stories of people just sitting/laying there waiting for it to be there turn to get a bullet. I will not die proned out on the floor!
    Walk softly ...

Some people don't realize what they know until you teach it to them.

VIP Member
    Great stuff. Should be posted in every workplace.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Very informative and gets you to thinking about your workplace and what you need to think about should something occur.

That is not a mini sledgehammer on my desk that is a paperweight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Great info. My daughter and I will go over this, in the event she ever needs to use the suggestions, while she is at school.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

In school shooting many of the victims are shot in the cafeteria and library. Where lots of kids congregate. Teach your kids that when they are in areas like this try to be close to an exit. As soon as they see something going on they have a better chance of escaping.- George

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    we would like to believe its common sense but people become helpless and lose the ability to think rationally in high stress situations. they hear people getting killed and all they do is wait for their turn....

ive tried to instill a lot of this into my wife and should be doing it more with my duaghter...its tough to provide the right information to a 9 year old and hope they dont use it incorrectly in a non threatening situation (i dont want my 9 year old daughter beating another kid to death with a stapler because daddy said the heavy end could be a formidable weapon)...

ive told my wife a hundred times you strike until there is no threat left...whe they stop moving you continue to strike until you are sure they wont move...and kicks to the groin are fair game when its your life on the line...she looks at me funny when i walk into a room...pick something up and say "this would make one hell of a weapon'...or..."this chair would be a great way to open a window that cannot be opened"....

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Simple and should be in all buildings/offices areas in my view also.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Good points.

Well written.

mercop, thanks for posting this. A workplace shooting is one of my biggest concerns. About 2 years ago I had someone threaten to come back and shoot everyone here. And he gave me no reason whatsoever to believe that he wasn't going to do it. That was before I carried and I'll never forget the feeling I had for weeks after that.

I don't think you can ever plan too much. Even if some things seem intuitive it never hurts to be reminded of them or hear them again.

Good post.

I think an important reminder is to remember karma and try not to be that guy that someone would want to shoot in the workplace.

Some other points I present for discussion / flaming:

I would stress and re-stress to get out, get out and get out. IMO staying in place is a last resort option but it is not the end of the game and there still must be a running plan to move if the opportunity presents itself. If you stay in place try to be alone and not with another or a group. You should have the situation plan for yourself, for the tactically uninitiated group think can be detrimental.

Pull the nearest fire alarm and get out.

Don't waste your time calling 911 or relatives about what you should do. Get out to a safe place and then call.

Don't have a prearranged meeting spot with co-workers. There should be a spot that only you go to. For others to know makes it compromised and if you're the target that gives the aggressor your location outside the office.

You could write your cell phone number on the paper and put it in the window. I like rooms with a view for barricading because you could always jump.

Leave your phone on vibrate, lest it go off with your silly ringtone at the most inopportune moment.

If your opportunity comes to be a warrior, then make us proud!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Sponsored Links