Could You Believe This One..........?

This is a discussion on Could You Believe This One..........? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the Dr. needs a peep hole and a firearm. And I agree with the OP, a flash woul dhave been the last thing this LEO ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could You Believe This One..........?

VIP Member
    the Dr. needs a peep hole and a firearm. And I agree with the OP, a flash woul dhave been the last thing this LEO saw entering my house in such a outfit.

2. Remove Ads

She's oblivious to firearms although she does have a Rottwieler and another large dog. Between the time it took to round up the dogs the LEO must have arrived and the two met at the front stoop as she peeked ou the door............Scared the living Bejesus out of her as she put on the porch lights and there he was and comming in to boot. I still can't believe this Picture..............
    Again, not to sound bold here but what else could you do in your home under the circumstances but "Open Fire"
    !0:00PM, The guy barges into your house with a full ski mask on and a gun in his hand no warning............It's ON.

First of all why was a cop wearing a ski mask and why was it pulled over his face when he was on duty, w t f is going on here? it's warm in jersey compared to VT and cops here don't wear ski masks that's just stupid he's going to get himself shot, a cop going to a call in a ski mask common now...
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

DrJ
    I wonder if you aren't missing some important details, or maybe the story got rearranged in translation. The scenario as presented just doesn't add up. What was the loud bang? What made the alarm go off? How did the LEO get there so quick in response to the alarm? Even monitored alarms usually involve a call to the house to make sure it isn't a false alarm before sending the cops. Why would a LEO be wearing a ski mask of all things? No flashing lights on the squad car? Those would be easily visible even if the car wasn't in direct line of sight at 10 pm. What LEO would barge into an open door in response to an alarm without making sure the female wasn't a bad guy, identifying himself, or taking time to survey the scene? The scenario as presented just doesn't make sense.

I'm with DrJ on this one. Almost exactly the same things I was wondering.

Doctor friend needs to call Local PD and confirm that an officer was at her location lastnight.

And if he was then somebody needs some remedial training.

If there was not a cop... well then thats not good at all and Local PD needs to be aware.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

All I can add is she lives in a rural estate type home and it's very dark out front at night set back off the street. It's been pretty cold here and I have also seen cases where the LEO are wearing Stocking Hats in the outdoor duty environment..........other than that who knows.
    A classic case where a well to do older woman living alone with two dogs has the crap scared out of her by a stiuation unfolding that she has no control of. Granted, I'm relating the story here as my wife told it to me so I suppose I'm the 3rd party tellin' it.............but thats how I got it and my wife is not an exagerator.
    Just seems things can get screwed up faster than you would believe.

If this story actually came down as told...........And this woman is smart enough to get through med school........... Oh, well, look at our president and many members of congress........educated fools.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Maybe the cop was the BG...????
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Book smart and street smart are two seperate things.

I would say something sounds strange here. Time frame is just to short. Strange indeed, I would would go with the cop set off the alarm for whatever reason by accident, come on face mask down, gun out? Strange indeed.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Ditto on what some others have said.

Suggestions for consideration:

1. The effectiveness of your dogs in (a) notifying you of danger and (b) keeping intruders at bay. DO NOT nullify that effectiveness by turning them "off." If you do this too many times, you might well train them into being defective alarm systems. Don't do that, unless that's really what you want. DISTINGUISH between guests/GG's ONLY when it is determined that the visitors are guests/GG's ... NOT before.

2. The effectiveness of your perimeter is destroyed if you open the door. Do NOT do that unless you are certain, beforehand, of the identity and purpose of the "intruder." Otherwise, you effectively have no perimeter. (Particularly if the intruder is standing right there, gun in hand, supremely capable of instantly breaching that perimeter.)

3. Have some method of seeing outside your home other than opening doors, minimally a peep hole, and ideally either window layouts that allow viewing without being seen and/or a remote video camera system.

4. If your alarm goes off and you have determined there is an "intruder" outside: (a) do not open the door; (b) ensure your dogs are continuing to howl/bray; (c) contact police to assist; (d) or, if you've no other alternatives or live in the boonies, "clear" your property if you are able.

5. If within 60sec of your alarm going off you have a masked/armed person on your door step, it's exceedingly unlikely that this person has your best interests at heart. CAUTION, before doing anything like opening the door, turning "off" your alarms, being seen/heard. Consider whether you have children or other loved ones inside who need to be secured and protected, before you dare breach your security. Either way, you CANNOT presume the person outside is law enforcement UNLESS you confirm this via 911; otherwise, you MUST presume the person is NOT law enforcement. Keep in mind there are many "false colors" intrusions each year, in which felons appear to be officers. PROVE IT via a third-party confirmation, before allowing them anywhere near you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Showing up at someone's door with a ski mask and drawn gun is a good way to try out your body armor! KEYRAP!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I agree with DrJ & skot. Something is very wrong with this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Ask her why the hell she opened the door and peeked out,Sounds to me like she either needs to get a security camera to observe the entrance and approach or at least a peephole
    +1 Why would someone alone, unarmed, open the door to look out? Sometimes being educated does not make you smart. Hopefully she learned something. Did the alarm co. call? Is the alarm actually monitored? These are questions she should be thinking about. She is very fortunate it has turned out the way it did, could have been worse.

+1 also on making a report with the P.D.
    Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of ones youth, blessed is he who has a quiver full of them.They will not be ashamed, they will speak with thier enemies at the gate.

Psalm 127:4-5

VIP Member
    Something is clearly wrong with this story. No explanation for why the alarm went off. No indication of how much time she took to put the dogs up before opening the door which is not bright unless somehow informed the police were outside already.

I think she needs to go and visit the local PD and make absolutely certain it was a real officer at her door. Never mind the mask if it was really a cop. She doesn't need to get into his mistake. She needs to make sure she is safe in the future. That is the priority.

She needs to make certain this wasn't a look around to see if it is worth coming back.

It could easily be someone who wants to rob the place without harming the occupant. Seeing she was there he did the best he could to extricate himself from having set off the alarm and put the occupant at rest. Now, he knows exactly what the house layout is like.

That lady needs a good talking to about the potential danger she is in.

And Jersey? Can folks there own shotguns? I think so. There is hunting.
    Can they own handguns in their home? Don't know. She needs to find out.

Living alone she needs a quick lesson in how to work a pump 20 guage with a short barrel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links