Could You Believe This One..........?

This is a discussion on Could You Believe This One..........? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK...Picture this. My wife's co-worker who is also a Doctor is home alone last evening with her two large dogs. At about 10:00 PM she ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OK...Picture this.

My wife's co-worker who is also a Doctor is home alone last evening with her two large dogs. At about 10:00 PM she hears a loud noise outside the front of her house. Her house alarm goes of and so do the two dogs....after she gets the dogs in some kind of order she goes to the front door and opens it slightly to look out.
    There in front of her is a man in a dark coat with a ski mask pulled down over his head and face with a gun in his hand pointed in her direction.....he opens the door and just walks in and says look out.......She scared to death almost literaly.

Turns out it was a cop answering the alarm call.......she was still shaking this morining at work. She asked my wife if she should call the P.D. and tell them how freightened she was due to his appearance and no warning.......the mask and gun.....is that beautiful or what ?

As he walked through the door threshold saying look out....the last thing he would have seen was the flash 'cause he never would have heard the BANG.........and that's what my wife told here.........

OMG. Certainly, the police don't approve of that.
    Otherwise, there will be some shootouts soon.

How did he respond to the alarm so quickly? Either it took her a long time to get the dogs together (why, let them loose if there's a BG) or I'm missing something.

Obviously she was trying to gather them / the dogs together before opening the door to peek out................The LEO had the face mask pulled down over his head and face with the gun pointed at her..........You couldn't make this stuff up..................

Sounds like a cop doing some 'moonlighting'......something doesn't sound quite right.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nope.................was in his squad car and obviously in the area to respond so quickly. This is not some small out of the way town either but one of the large well to do town here in NJ.

Lack of some real common sense there, IMO.

Does DR.friend have a firearm?

If not is she ready to get one and learn how to use it?

She needs motion lights and peep whole in door.

If this is not a real cop or a cop gone bad, he most likely will be back.

Why was he waring a mask and was he along and did he every show her his face or badge # ?

It is possible that this could be the start of something very very bad!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

She told my wife that after he walked in she saw the badge on his coat but not through the door when he just opened it himself.....

Man I'm tellin' ya she was shook up this morning still and no she lives alone and unfortunately is not armed that I know of.........just the dogs.

jbs
    She lives in jersey, so the dogs are probably the best she can do right now.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Ask her why the hell she opened the door and peeked out,Sounds to me like she either needs to get a security camera to observe the entrance and approach or at least a peephole
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    1. Why would she open the door?
    2. Why calm the dogs down? I ENCOURAGE them to go nuts at the door and every single non-family member who tries to pass through, unless or until I give my dogs the "safe" word to calm down and leave our guest alone.
    3. WTH was the cop wearing a ski mask for? I get that it's cold outside, but...REALLY?
    4. She saw a badge. Can she tell if it's a fake? Did she get his name and badge/ID #? Did she call 911 or local PD to verify?

Something sounds very off about all of this. No doubt she's shaken up. Who wouldn't be?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    OK...Picture this.

My wife's co-worker who is also a Doctor is home alone last evening with her two large dogs. At about 10:00 PM she hears a loud noise outside the front of her house. Her house alarm goes of and so do the two dogs....after she gets the dogs in some kind of order she goes to the front door and opens it slightly to look out.
    There in front of her is a man in a dark coat with a ski mask pulled down over his head and face with a gun in his hand pointed in her direction.....he opens the door and just walks in and says look out.......She scared to death almost literaly.

Turns out it was a cop answering the alarm call.......she was still shaking this morining at work. She asked my wife if she should call the P.D. and tell them how freightened she was due to his appearance and no warning.......the mask and gun.....is that beautiful or what ?

As he walked through the door threshold saying look out....the last thing he would have seen was the flash 'cause he never would have heard the BANG.........and that's what my wife told here.........
    She was home alone, heard a loud noise, alarm goes off, dogs go nuts, she goes to the door and opens it slightly, hmm some doctors aren't so smart.
    There is a man in front of her in a dark coat, wearing a mask, holding a gun pointed in her direction, he walks in and says look out, hmm, some cops aren't so smart either.
    The whole thing could have gone horribly wrong, after both of them screwed up the way they did.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Sounds like two people being completly stupid of situational awarness. I'd 'encourage' your wife to approach this Dr. lady and, hopefully, use this situation to teach her a little about SA and responses to stress and the dangers of not knowing how to respond to home alarms and her dogs alerting her to (possiable) danger.

Sounds like this Dr. lady has never had to check her behavior/response to a dangerous incident that is/had happened to her before.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

She had some dogs who alerted her. Did she put them away, or just calm them down? Whatever she did, it sounds like she nullified their protectiveness.

She had a security alarm. She nullified it too by turning it off and opening the door. Why even have an alarm if you're just going to ignore it and put yourself in danger by opening the door to a stranger, especially one with his face covered?

I can't think of how she could have responded worse. When a criminal does encounter her, she won't last long.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ah, New Jersey. That explains the ski mask, sort of. It was probably pretty dang cold that night, huh? But still pretty dumb for hom to approach with a mask on.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links