"After Armageddon" scenario poll

This is a discussion on "After Armageddon" scenario poll within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have not seen this show yet but I can imagine what it is about. I am curious how many of you think that some ...

View Poll Results: Do you think some type of Armageddon will occure in your lifetime?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

143 44.83%
  • No

104 32.60%
  • Not Sure

72 22.57%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "After Armageddon" scenario poll

"After Armageddon" scenario poll

I have not seen this show yet but I can imagine what it is about.

I am curious how many of you think that some type of catastrophic event will occur in your lifetime that would cause if not global at least national chaos, food/water shortage etc... forcing people to do things they never thought they would have to in order to survive and protect themselves.

If you voted yes in the poll what weapons and other items have you bought with this type of situation in mind? How have you prepared?

2. Remove Ads

If it's going to happen... Now would be the time to start running up the credit cards.

Not to make this a religious takeover of your thread, but, as a Christian I believe in the apocalypse. In my view it's not a matter of if but when. Yet, I do not store food or weapons for that event.

I have been through several hurricanes and have experienced extended periods of time without electricity. No electricity...no stores...no stores= limited supplies of food.... Combine this with gas shortages =a catastrophic event to some people.

Many unforeseeable events can cause a sense of chaos to spread across the nation. From an unexpected war, to natural disasters, and even the unnecessary hoarding of supplies. I personally try to maintain at least several weeks of food and water and try to keep my car's fuel tank topped off. I do not see a need or the practicality in trying to keep more than a year's supply of necessities.

As for weapons, I keep a .45 acp, a 12 gauge, and a 22. I try to keep a couple hundred rounds for each on hand. I have also recently looked in to purchasing an AR .

But , we must remember to not allow ourselves to be paralyzed with fear of the unknown....a little preparation for hard times mixed with some self awareness will help us to maintain a sense of security in our lives while avoiding transforming ourselves into some sort of paranoid curmudgeon.
    Last edited by AWDeanSr; January 9th, 2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: brain fart
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    LDS Preparedness Manual has an exhaustive discussion of what to prepare for and how to get started.
    http://www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedn...eparedness.pdf
    I am not a Mormon, so I don't know how widely this is implemented. But I find it a very good guide for any person interested in preparation information.

Personally, we have self defense prep in place, alternative heat and electric and some food. We are good for a short time, but not the biggie.

I don't know if it will be armageddon but with the way things are in the world today, we could have another 9-11 or worse and the hole country could come to a stop.
    Luke 22:36 and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

VIP Member
    I'm with most of you in that I don't think armageddon will occur, however, another Katrina or a terrorist attack is highly probable IMO.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yeah, more worried about post-hurricane opportunists than the big finale. Ain't nobody taking my generator. My food, my water, my generator. Go out and buy your own.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator

If your definition of Armageddon would be the exact biblical epic battle at the "Mountain of Megiddo" AKA a fulfillment of the end time prophecies....No, I do not believe that will happen...though there is likely to always be extreme turmoil in that tinderbox area of the globe.

Could there be a global pandemic, dirty-bomb, or other catastrophic event...up to and including the collapse of our currency? Absolutely.

In my lifetime - I hope not but, it is entirely possible and chances are greater likely/possible.

I do not believe that it is 100% possible to completely prepare for every possible future unknown because that unknown is (at this point in time) UNKNOWN.

But, every citizen/head of household has a responsibility to make some sort of basic emergency preparations for most of the more probable catastrophic events.
    At least to help insure the personal survival of self & family unit for the short term and that would be for more/longer than highly touted 72 hours.

Exactly what you do will largely depend on exactly where you live.

Is your area flood, tornado, earthquake, hurricane, riot etc...prone?

I would consider myself to be "much more prepared" than the vast majority of the general population.

It is always an ongoing process.

VIP Member
    If the term Armageddon is used generically rather than religiously, it is inevitable as our population increases and world standard of living decreases due to dwindling resources such as fresh water and ore containing essential ingredients for manufacturing processes.

Here in the US, we have in my lifetime gone from being the undisputed #1 in every category from education and science to military and economic strength. We now are considered not the world's best place but the world's 7th best place to live. The downward path will continue not because others are doing better, but because we won't solve our own problems and will continue to do worse.

We will wake up one day in 30th place, not 1st or 7th, and that will be "Armageddon" enough because our people won't put up with it.

We do have the ability to solve our numerous problems, but we don't have a political system and governmental system capable of making things happen in decisive, constructive, and beneficial ways.

A destructive "Armageddon" need not be one horrific violent battle. We might just fizzle out instead.

With the way the government and economy is going it's inevitable. Our rights get stripped away more and more everyday but it happens slowly so we don't throw as big of a fuss or notice it as much. I'm in my late 20's so I think theirs a good chance it will happen in my lifetime, if not definitely in my childrens lifetime. It's coming soon, I don't think it will be an Armageddon but definitely a overthrow of the government, riots etc...

I read a lot of post apocalyptic books as well and have always believed in world chemical wars, asteroids destroying the planet etc...
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I listen to a couple of folks who watch the Middle East (which is always in the middle of any scenario with the Schumer Hitting The Fan potential).

Iran. Israel. Major terrorist event.
    Some form of major cataclysmic event is moved from possible to likely, IMO.

Will it be THE Armageddon?
    Don't know the answer to that.
    The way I read it, anyone who says s/he does know the day and the hour should be gotten away from quickly.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Global, who knows, sure hope not, but there are plenty of examples for localized critical events. Many that people are still recovering from.

In America, Katrina comes to mind. Losts of examples in Africa, such as Darfur, Mogadishu. South Korea has been ongoing since the previous "President" died. In fact there's a new book out with stories from defectors that make 'The Road' soound marginally better. Google South Korea Book and you'll likely find the NYT review.

All I know is whenever I see those shows or movies, I always say "wow that would've been a shorter story with a better outcome if only the good guys had a gun..."

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Preparing a little more with each paycheck. Nothing over the top just the essentials to get by for 6 months to a year. Dehydrated foods. Water & filters, space blankets, extra ammo, tents, little propane bottles, etc. If Armageddon doesn't occur a tornado may where some of this may also be useful.

I am not talking about biblical armageddon but some type of national cataclysmic event.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    I am not talking about biblical armageddon but some type of national cataclysmic event.
    Then yes I do believe it could happen in my life time.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links