Two guys walking down the street with guns... - Page 2

Two guys walking down the street with guns...

This is a discussion on Two guys walking down the street with guns... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; mmmm squirrel!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two guys walking down the street with guns...

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    mmmm squirrel!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    Here in VA, it is legal to walk down the street with a loaded firearm -- albeit it carry one in a vehicle for the purpose of hunting is restricted in some but not all jurisdictions.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Just because they were walking down the street doesnt mean they intend to hunt or fire from there. They may just be going from point A to point B. The OP mentioned that there were appropriate fields around.

The full camo seems a bit much for squirrels, but unless I see other indicators, I usually chalk that up to young male testoterone and 'being cool.'
    +1

As a teen we would use all of our money we saved from our part time jobs to go out and buy all camo clothing, just to put a big bright hunter orange vest on.

As a young teen, the idea of being a hunter may have had more of an impact than hunting itself.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

See folks walking on the road everyday with guns here. Sometimes it is like 13 year old kids with high powered center fire rifles. It doesn't make me nervous, but it does make me hope a deer doesn't dart across the road right after I drive pass.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

ME: "Uh, yeah. They're obviously hunting squirrels. What's the problem?" [our neighborhood borders on some rural farmlands/woods that are common hunting ground.]
    =====+===================
    IMO, this is the key to the whole event. On their way to hunt. Yeah if they were brandishing their firearms, acting irresponsibly, that would have been a concern and a whole different reaction.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Yeah, they weren't taking aim or stalking around private residences, they were just walking down the street muzzles down, likely walking to a pickup point or another entry point into the woods somewhere. If they were acting like idiots and wearing black trenchcoats and ski masks, perhaps I would be a little more alarmed. It's not uncommon around here to see hunters on the side of road before/after a hunt, so it wasn't a shock or anything.

Thanks for all the input. I do need to try to have a more serious SA talk with my DW, but I only get so far before I get the rolled eyes and 'your getting paranoid' look. For someone who grew up in a gun-free, "guns make me nervous" household, she has come a long way. She's already come to the range with my Dad and me, fired everything from a .22LR to a .45. I can't complain really, but gotta get used to the small steps. We'll get there!

Or trying to get home after popping out of the woods in a completely different area than you thought you were and then having to walk down the road for about five miles to get home. It happens. Especially to those of us with a poor sense of direction. But that's better than spending the night in the mountains in Utah during deer season in just a long sleeve shirt during deer season. That happens to us to. Anyone want to go hiking?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Everyone is a possible threat. Personally, I prefer my possible threats to carry their weapons where I can see them as then I can asses them as a greater possible threat faster. I don't belive in the whole "law abbiding citizen" grouping. Unless it's someone you personally know you have NO idea if they are law abbiding citizens or not and if you using what someone is wearing (they were dressed in urban style clothes or whatever) to judge if someone IS a law abbiding citizen then in my oppinion your just asking to get attacked by a well dressed bad guy. Camo is another one of those instances. They are wearing camo and have a gun...they must be a hunter! Ummm, no...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Our young son used to dress up in camo while in high school -- before he entered military school. Now, when home on vacation, he tries his best to hide his identity as that of a soon-to-be-prospective-full-fledge-army officer. We went to Phoenix in a place where they give discounts to soldiers and one our friends mentioned that he is a soldier. We got 50% discount for our food and some rides. As soon as we got home, he complained to his dad. If looks can kill, I nearly died when DH looked at me and thought it was me...
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Everyone is a possible threat. Personally, I prefer my possible threats to carry their weapons where I can see them as then I can asses them as a greater possible threat faster. I don't belive in the whole "law abbiding citizen" grouping. Unless it's someone you personally know you have NO idea if they are law abbiding citizens or not and if you using what someone is wearing (they were dressed in urban style clothes or whatever) to judge if someone IS a law abbiding citizen then in my oppinion your just asking to get attacked by a well dressed bad guy. Camo is another one of those instances. They are wearing camo and have a gun...they must be a hunter! Ummm, no...
    So you feel that the general public, seeing anyone open carrying, would do better to view them with suspicion?

Kinda the opposite of what I'm hoping. I'm hoping that people walking around with guns in day-to day manners become viewed as normal, like with any other right.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    So you feel that the general public, seeing anyone open carrying, would do better to view them with suspicion?

Kinda the opposite of what I'm hoping. I'm hoping that people walking around with guns in day-to day manners become viewed as normal, like with any other right.
    When I am in an public place I do basic threat assesment. IE, how dangerous is this person to me. Anyone that is armed is more dangerous then someone that is not as far as a visual threat assesment goes. Do I think that people the general public should view people openly carrying a weapon with suspicion? I really hate to say this but if I were to answer that question honestly I would have to say yes, because I know that I do.

The issue here is intent. That person openly carrying a weapon could be a 100 percent law abiding citizien with not so much as a parking ticket or he could be a crazed whack job that could go bonkers at any moment. The problem is that we don't know. We can't tell by looking at them. All I know about that person is that they are armed and depending on their distance from me that generaly makes them more dangerous then someone that isnt. Here are a couple random examples of not knowing if someone is a law abiding citizen and just general perception.

About a year ago a black male and female moved into my neighboorhood. There is VERY little diversity here. I am the only other black person for about 10 blocks. The guy looked like what would be your typical gang banger. This made quite a few of my neighboors quite uncomfortable. Braided hair, gruff look, couple of tatoo's. Funny thing is that he looked like that because it was his job. He worked under cover for the gang unit. However anyone looking at him (Visual threat assesment) would put him at the top of their threat list. If he was openly carrying a weapon he would probably be number one on that list.

#2. There is good deal of KKK activity where I live. Pretty much all of them open carry. It isn't uncommon for them to go to neighborhoods and "patrol" IE intimadate the black families living there. They did it to me which is why I orginally started carrying full time. They are 100 percent within their legal right to do so. However, if a guy is walking around outside of my house with a gun you can bet your behind I am going to get my rifle...and a few spare mags...and a few more spare mags...

My point is this. You can't tell intent by looking at someone. Ff your are visibly armed you are going to go to the top of my threat list. This doesn't mean I am going to draw and start firing. It doesnt mean that I am going to call the police. It simply means that you are going to be someone that I keep my eye on until I am away from where ever you are. What it comes down to (at least for me) is that just because you are legally exercising your rights doesn't mean you are doing it with good intentions.
    Last edited by Rollo; January 14th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    We'', you did invite her when you put the table up for sale.

I understand Rollo and would probably feel the same. It's totally sick about the KKK, sorry to hear it....amazing that anyone can justify that mindset.

From my post, that is what I 'hope.' I realize that it will take a certain 'critical mass' before open carrying weapons will become a normal, everyday sight in the US...and we may never get there....but I do believe that it will take many many people doing so and then that firearm would become less of a threat indicator and more of a tool, like a cell phone.

But I also recognize the dangers and drawbacks of OC in today's US. And that's why I CC for the most part.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I was doing some remodeling in an upstairs bathroom this w/e when my wife [said]:

HER: "There are two guys walking down the street with guns!!!"
    And that's little different from any couple that goes out for a walk in the neighborhood, or two buddies deciding to stroll down to the corner park or market.

She needs to understand this.

Can't distinguish between "normal" and something darker and more sinister UNTIL the people show their colors and ante up. UNTIL they actually commit to criminal action, they cannot be taken for criminals. Got a little feeling, or have the hairs on your neck started to rise up? Fine. Then, monitor the people who are giving you the willies ... but leave them alone until they show signs of not being human, 'cause they have every right to be armed, just as you do.

That's the whole point of being armed in our own neighborhoods: being armed; perhaps even being seen to do it; showing that our neighborhoods are ours and not the criminals'; keeping our neighborhoods safe, for ourselves, our children, our neighbors; and, ultimately, to enjoy our lives in safety and security, unthreatened by criminals.

Amen to that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    And that's little different from any couple that goes out for a walk in the neighborhood, or two buddies deciding to stroll down to the corner park or market.

She needs to understand this.

Can't distinguish between "normal" and something darker and more sinister UNTIL the people show their colors and ante up. UNTIL they actually commit to criminal action, they cannot be taken for criminals. Got a little feeling, or have the hairs on your neck started to rise up? Fine. Then, monitor the people who are giving you the willies ... but leave them alone until they show signs of not being human, 'cause they have every right to be armed, just as you do.

That's the whole point of being armed in our own neighborhoods: being armed; perhaps even being seen to do it; showing that our neighborhoods are ours and not the criminals'; keeping our neighborhoods safe, for ourselves, our children, our neighbors; and, ultimately, to enjoy our lives in safety and security, unthreatened by criminals.

Amen to that.
    Exactly how I feel.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links