Craigslist safety - Page 2

Craigslist safety

This is a discussion on Craigslist safety within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few years ago, I met someone to buy a large kayak from craigslist (17ft sea kayak). Due to the nature of the purchase I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A few years ago, I met someone to buy a large kayak from craigslist (17ft sea kayak). Due to the nature of the purchase I needed to try it out before exchanging money for item.

The way I handled this was we met in a public part that's fairly popular, so I could try out the kayak on the lake first. I arrived with two friends who stayed by the car, while I carried out the interactions.

Everything went just dandy, and I had no problems, but honestly there was no way I was going to meet a stranger from the internet in a fairly remote place, with $1000 cash without backup.

BTW my backup had an SKS and a 12 gauge in the trunk. Trunk was unlocked but not opened. I suspect the guy who was doing the selling had an idea that my backup had weapons at hand but they were a respectful distance away (about 30 yards).

A lot of Sellers, will ask for the person's pho # and name if they want to discuss it or know more info. If they aren't willing to give those up, they won't provide theirs to them. I wouldn't post my phone # , although I have seen items and talked to people who have.

I would not just let anyone into my house .... anyway, let alone a buyer. That may be a difficult one. Can you put it in a garage and let them see it there if they appear to be a serious buyer?

I've sold things on CL before. I had a chance to talk with several people interested in purchasing an enclosed trailer, and then some kayaks.
    During each sale, I was able to have a conversation and exchange phone numbers with interested parties. After some questioning, I felt comfortable with having the interested parties come into my yard to inspect the items. I was always armed, and never had a problem. Both items were quickly sold for cash.
    I found CL to work quickly and without snags. It worked for me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I'd say the majority of electronics on craigslist are stolen.

Always be armed and meet in a public place. ESPECIALLY if you are the buyer and the know how much cash you'll have.
    I should have checked craigslist after my laptop was stolen. I didn't even think about it.

I've never had a problem with craigslist. I got an awesome washer and dryer. I can see how easy it would be to get scammed though. Once I get my CCL I will never go to a transaction unarmed.

I tried to sell a motorcyle on CL..had some "gangsta" show interests asking all kinds of stupid questions, like "would the bike fit in the back of a black Escalade"...told the creep to get lost...be alert!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I tried to sell a motorcyle on CL..had some "gangsta" show interests asking all kinds of stupid questions, like "would the bike fit in the back of a black Escalade"...told the creep to get lost...be alert!
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Meet during the day light. Meet in public, in commonly populated areas. Inside a mall, at a shopping center, ON campus in the middle of the cafeteria if your a student.. etc...

Bring friends, bring a gun, watch their hands, just stay safe.
    If it doesn't look right, trust your gut and back out. If it doesn't look right as you're driving up, just turn around and leave.

Craigslist is notorious for robberies and murders...

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    So I saw this thread yesterday and thought it was interesting, then, just last night, there was a story on the local news in WA about a group of 3 people scaming Craigslist buyers. They would put stuff up for sale, and then when someone showed up to buy it, they would rob them at gunpoint. Then there was another story about a girl responding to an add, then the guy rapes her. I did a search for craigslist robbery and got a whole lot of hits. Definitly something to be concerned about and be extra aware.
    Walk softly ...

I've done probably a hundred deals on CL as a buyer and as a seller. I've never had a problem but like many others have said, try to get some good communcations going with the buyer. I like the guy who does ask inteligent questions like what model number is the recliner or is interested to see better pics of the fabric to make sure it matches their interior. Some find it annoying to answer questions like this but really it just shows you they are serious.

I seem to get more sketchy types when selling high end electronics and usually weed them out by their email grammar or on the phone. Selling a recliner generally should not draw the type of people that you might find when selling an iphone, laptop, etc.. When selling I bring them in garage or yard only (depends on the item) and always keep my very protective black lab at my side.

I had two different people try this on me, after friendly chit chat and buying my item they asked if they could use my bathroom due to the long drive they made to get here. The first time it caught me off guard but quickly came up with a "sorry but I'm working on the plumbing in there and only have one bathroom". Pretty nervy of them to ask but a lot of the people I deal with on CL are like that.

I've bought and sold items on craigs list and even found a shadetree mechanic to work on my car. All have turned out very well but my key is having a friend with me at all times!

When I lived in NJ I was selling my Husqvarna dirtbike and had a guy come look at it at my home since I didn't have a truck. He came with a friend; one guy my size, the other bigger than myself. In addition I couldn't get a friend to be there at that time, my back yard backed to woods so noone can see back there, and NJ doesn't allow OC/CC so I made sure to stay on my property where I could carry just in case. These guys seemed OK initially but as I was bent over messing with the bike I noticed one slowly trying to get behind me and quickly stop. I think he saw my pistol as my sweatshirt exposed it a bit. Thankfully everything went fine, they didn't buy it though they expressed a lot of interest, and needless to say I kept an eye on my basement/back door in case they wanted a free bike!

Everything went well. i actually decided to through the recliner in the back of my SUV and meet him at a public parking lot.

He was a nice guy but he had the look of a ex hitman for the Russian Mafia.

When I arrange to buy/sell something (on Craigslist or otherwise):

1. All communications are conducted in e-mail. That way I can print out a complete record of the conversations, including meeting places, times, funding expectations, etc. If someone says I must call them to complete a transaction, I just look elsewhere.

2. Never meet at someone's home (mine or theirs). Arrange to meet at a nearby shopping center. During daylight hours if possible.

3. When I'm selling something, I only accept cash.

If I'm heading out to pick something up, I'm armed. If I'm going alone (or at least without another adult), I leave a spare copy of all the pertinent information (from the printed e-mails from item #1 above) on the dining room table. I call my husband while I'm driving to the meeting and let him know where I'm heading, when I'll be there, where the details are at the house, and I call him after the transaction, as well. If hubby's not available, I call my kid sister with the same information.

If my 10-year-old is in the car, when I get out to meet the person, I give my son the keys and my cell phone. He locks the car when I get out. The van's rear windows are tinted, so he can be hard to see if he wants to be. He unlocks the van when he sees me ask him to, or sees me tap on the glass.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I dont worry about posting my number, but I use a google voice number, which means I can stop any calls if they are the type that keeps calling or giving your number out. I also have them email me, i typically will check their facebook or myspace pages if they have one, if you can view those, it gives you an idea of who this person is. I have bought and sold things from Clist, and never had an issue. Once I had a guy that peaked my sinces, but when he got here, he was ok. I try to carry when I deal as well. I am in the market for a new car been looking at Clist, have not called on any yet.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Meet during the day light. Meet in public, in commonly populated areas. Inside a mall, at a shopping center, ON campus in the middle of the cafeteria if your a student.. etc...

Bring friends, bring a gun, watch their hands, just stay safe.
    If it doesn't look right, trust your gut and back out. If it doesn't look right as you're driving up, just turn around and leave.

Craigslist is notorious for robberies and murders...

this is perfect... also cash only transactions...
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

Always be very careful if someone calls you about an ad you place on craiglist and they are calling through an internet based relay service for the deaf and hard of hearing. Nigerians run lots of scams through those services. They try to send you a fake money order or cashier's check for "more" than what the asking price is and get you to Western Union the overhead to "their shipper".

Those services are there for the deaf and hard of hearing but because some of them are internet based, they get greatly abused.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links