Craigslist safety

This is a discussion on Craigslist safety within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think some of the answer is, it depends. Use a service like Google Voice to get another phone number and use that so you ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Craigslist safety

VIP Member
    I think some of the answer is, it depends. Use a service like Google Voice to get another phone number and use that so you aren't giving out your real number. Talk to the prospective buyer and see what they sound like.

Invite them in? Well, you'll be eyeballing them when they arrive. You can make a judgment at that point. Of course looks can deceive so stay prepared for anything.

Remember, the person going to your house to look at something is just as apprehensive about who you are as you are of them.

We do mostly buying of junk on craigslist, only sold something thru them one time. It has always worked out well.

Only problem, the junk is piling up and my wife's to do list, and honey-do list is growing too quickly. And just an hour ago, she informed me that we are going to look at some sort of piece of furniture with leaded glass front panels she is coveting. I know it will get bought. It will get to our house. I'll have to drag it from car (SUV) to garage. It will sit there till she gets around to cleaning, polishing, refinishing. Then I'll have to drag it into the house, and drag something out side for the garbage guys to pick up.

Craigslist is almost as addicting as DC. Be careful.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think some of the answer is, it depends. Use a service like Google Voice to get another phone number and use that so you aren't giving out your real number. Talk to the prospective buyer and see what they sound like.

Invite them in? Well, you'll be eyeballing them when they arrive. You can make a judgment at that point. Of course looks can deceive so stay prepared for anything.

Remember, the person going to your house to look at something is just as apprehensive about who you are as you are of them.

We do mostly buying of junk on craigslist, only sold something thru them one time. It has always worked out well.

Only problem, the junk is piling up and my wife's to do list, and honey-do list is growing too quickly. And just an hour ago, she informed me that we are going to look at some sort of piece of furniture with leaded glass front panels she is coveting. I know it will get bought. It will get to our house. I'll have to drag it from car (SUV) to garage. It will sit there till she gets around to cleaning, polishing, refinishing. Then I'll have to drag it into the house, and drag something out side for the garbage guys to pick up.

Craigslist is almost as addicting as DC. Be careful.
    Have the same problem with the "revolving" Honey-Do list.

Cured the problem of uncontrolled acquisitions.

"Honey, I love you. If you want a thing, a thing that we already have of equal size or larger must go...on the same day."
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

AzB
    Never meet at your house. I have met the seller at their house a couple times for things that are large and difficult to move, like motorcycles in need of repair or large furniture items.

When selling, I usually just head over to our local police precincts parking lot. It's large and we can use a corner without getting in the way of police business. If the buyer is legit, he will appreciate the location for his own safety as well.

I recently sold a car that was worth well over $20k. Because of the large sum of cash, we had to work out a deal that would protect both of us. (Although he was in reality a very nice guy) Luckily we shared the same bank, so the solution was easy. He brought a check made out to himself. We went into the bank, he cashed his check, handed me the money, and I deposited it in my account. No room for fraud, robbery would be stupid inside a bank, and we even had a notary available for the title. Much safer than a cash transaction in a parking lot, or any kind of money order or check.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I bought a canopy for my pickup a few months ago. I talked with the seller over the phone and the canopy was at his home. Googled the address and it showed up on the map. It was $500 cash so I asked my brother in law to ride shotgun for me. We both have CWL's and were both carrying 1911's. The seller was OK and the deal went very smoothly, no problems.

I buy and sell a bit of camera gear on the local craigslist and always stipulate cash and we meet in a public place. I usually meet them near a camera store in one of the local malls. No problems so far and have gotten some good gear at good prices. But I always carry concealed, better safe than sorry.

As others have said, let your spidery sense govern your actions. If it sounds flakey pass on it, there will be better deals down the road.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

It's Craigslist, if you get a bad sense, don't like the way they sound or have a reason you just don't trust them, just say "sorry, I already have somebody coming to get it." You can always wait for the next person.
    I am the Walrus...Goo Goo Goo Joob

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

[QUOTE=HKinNY;1448306]

Because you have had so many fine memories that you are sad to see it go.

QUOTE]

fine memories ;)

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    My experiences have been positive, but I'm also packing whenever I meet someone from online.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

what i would suggest if you want to be safe:
    1) dont post ur phone number on the ad
    2) if possible, dont even give you # to the person who wants to buy. email works just fine for most ppl
    3) meet at a nutral location with people around
    4) bring another person if possible
    5) cash only
    6) be careful ;)

If you cant meet at a nutral location due to item being to big, then at least do your business in the driveway.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links