Situational Awareness - New Rule

This is a discussion on Situational Awareness - New Rule within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When Larry, Moe, and Curly Joe, carrying a stun gun ask if you are so-and-so, what should you say? We know one wrong answer - ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Situational Awareness - New Rule

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar

Situational Awareness - New Rule

When Larry, Moe, and Curly Joe, carrying a stun gun ask if you are so-and-so, what should you say? We know one wrong answer - Yes, I am so-and-so.

I post this, because I have answered that question for complete strangers. Now I realize, that may not be wise. Perhaps, "Who wants to know?". That sounds awful smart alecky. "I'm looking for that sob myself." A little better.

All beg the question of how did these three dudes get close enough to ask this business owner any question as he was opening? Perhaps someone brings over the money later, but it is common to have the cash register money on your person when you open. Therefore, talking to strangers in front of the store is really a bad idea. Look at these mug shots.

3 Missouri men apparently abducted wrong NJ man - STLtoday.com
    3 Missouri men apparently abducted wrong NJ man
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    01/12/2010

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Authorities say three western Missouri men charged with kidnapping a man in New Jersey apparently abducted the wrong guy.

Forty-six-year-old Douglas Stangeland of Nevada, Mo., appeared in court Monday along with 44-year-old Lonnie Swarnes and 21-year-old Andrew Wadel, both of Rich Hill, Mo.

All three are charged with first-degree kidnapping. Authorities say none have attorneys and all are being held without bond.

Authorities say they believe the alleged kidnapping resulted from mistaken identity.

The suspects allegedly approached 59-year-old pet store owner Jeff Muller of Newton, N.J., outside his business Friday and asked if he was Jeff Muller. When Muller said “yes,” they allegedly shot him with a stun gun, bound his hands and feet and drove him to Missouri.

Authorities aren’t saying why the men were looking for a Jeff Muller, only that they believe the men had the wrong guy.

2. Remove Ads

I think a better response when asked the question is NO.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

if those 3 fugly fellas asked me if I was so and so I would say no
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    I have absolutely no problem lying to them. Tell them no, it's not me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would respond

"Why are you looking for him?"

as I moved away cautiosly to a cover position and prepared to draw if necessary. Answer the question with a question without answering theirs and still get more information. Also a stalling tactic.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Bounty hunters?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Bounty hunters?
    It looks like the victum has a few cuts bruses and a black eye. Are bounty hunters allowed to strike the target?

Well, now the three will get to answer some questions of their own.

Like,

"whose wife are you??"

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
    Well, now the three will get to answer some questions of their own.

Like,

"whose wife are you??"
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Ape
    Something tells me it wouldn't have mattered what he answered.
    Would've been better to be more situationally aware and never let them get that close in the first place.

Stop, don't come any closer! Alto, no me acerca mas!

This is New Jersey..............CCL's are not permitted, I don't care what they say. The majority of the state's populus is unarmed 99.9% time. So what's the big deal about comming up to someone here when they are opening a business......Geezzz.
    When one of my son's started working for a bank a few years ago, I would give him a ride in the morning on my way out. When he would get to the bank to open in the AM, there would be Latinos gathered at the banks entrance to stay out of the weather waiting for someone to pick them up for day jobs I guess......Told my son to call the police and have them removed before the bank opened for business................He Did. No one had them removed untill he called it in..........

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yeah, I have to agree with this SA crap. It's like some people are so paranoid that anyone getting within 25 yards of them warrents pulling out the cannon. How can you live like that, constantly looking over your shoulder (or up your a--) for a BG? Common sense, yes. Don't go to an ATM at 2:00 am. But jumping though your butt every time someone approaches?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree with this SA crap. It's like some people are so paranoid that anyone getting within 25 yards of them warrents pulling out the cannon. How can you live like that, constantly looking over your shoulder (or up your a--) for a BG? Common sense, yes. Don't go to an ATM at 2:00 am. But jumping though your butt every time someone approaches?
    SA isnt the same as paranoia... it just means being aware of whats going on around you. Its up to individuals to what extent they take it. I think its foolish to think there is no need for any SA... thats kind of a "it will never happen to me" mindset.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Anyone getting within 25' of me in a mall is certainly expected, but at an ATM (I don't use them), or while I'm opening/closing a business is going to get my dander up...stay back.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links