Defensive Carry banner

Latest Shooting Death in SC

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Spec 
#1 ·
Per the 1/15 issue of the Charleston Post & Courier pg. 3B (Charleston, SC Newspaper, local news, events, real estate, cars, jobs), a shooting death was ruled an act of self-defense in a confrontation on a road in McClellanville, SC. The key item, IMO, was the statement by the sheriff, whose decision was based on "the evidence AND THE WITNESSES". There were many things that I learned from the experienced Deputy Sheriff, who conducted my CCWP class; they included the advice that if you are confronted in a self-defense situation, you should be yelling loud and clear not only at the slimeball but within earshot of potential witnesses---they can and will make the difference if, god forbid, you must actually have to use your firearm.

#3 ·
"No charges will be filed against a man who admitted he shot and killed another man in a gun battle on a McClellanville road Wednesday, authorities said.

"We talked to the solicitor's office last night," Charleston County Sheriff Al Cannon said Thursday. "From what we got at the scene, it appears at this point that it was self-defense. Unless something new comes out, that's where it stands."

An autopsy performed Thursday revealed that Patrick Young, 25, of McBride Road, died of two gunshot wounds, Charleston County Deputy Coroner Dottie Lindsay said. An incident report said he was shot in the head and the chest.

Charleston County sheriff's deputies were dispatched to McBride Road about 5:45 p.m. Wednesday for a report of a man having been shot.

When the first deputy arrived he saw a man lying in the road with a woman giving him CPR. A black shotgun was lying next to him, according to the incident report.

Here's how events unfolded leading up to the shooting, according to the incident report:

--Young was at home with his father when the telephone rang; Young answered the phone and left the house.

--A short time later, the phone rang again and it was Young, who told his father, "I'm gonna kill Charlie."

--Young's father heard gunfire and went outside, where he saw "Charlie" down by his house and his son, Patrick, standing in the road.

--The father heard another gunshot and saw his son fall to the ground.

Investigators quickly located the man known as "Charlie," who was standing in front of his house with his rifle nearby. He told them he had shot Young because Young was shooting at him. "I'm not running," he told deputies.

Charlie was identified in the report as James Edward Williams Sr., 55, of 1111 McBride Road.

He was taken into custody Wednesday night because of an outstanding Family Court warrant, said Maj. John Clark, public information officer with the Sheriff's Office.

When investigators examined all the evidence and witness statements, they decided Williams had acted in self-defense, Clark said. "

#4 ·
I'm familiar with McClellanville, and I didn't recognise McBride Road so I Googled it. The location seems to be closer to Awendaw, which is about ten miles south of McClellanville, on Highway 17. Tipical newspaper error.

A terrible waste of life, but it's good to know the law is on your side if you have to defend yourself.

I would be interested to know what caliber of rifle was used. Presumably, Young took one in the chest and kept coming and the head shot finished him.

#5 ·
Tipical newspaper error.

Not to be picky, but it may not be so typical. Sure, papers do make mistakes, but in this case, it may be correct.

I live in an unincorporated rural area named after one town, yet live much closer to another town. My address and the roads here have the address of the farther town...just because it administers to the unincorporated area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.