SA Training Exercises/ Games

This is a discussion on SA Training Exercises/ Games within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; as sad as this is going to sound im still going to say it, the way we were trained was through muscle failure. in the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SA Training Exercises/ Games

as sad as this is going to sound im still going to say it, the way we were trained was through muscle failure. in the barracks we were always challenged (basic training of course) if there was something out of place or someone there and we did not notify someone of the change or even question it we were "gifted" with push ups, leg lifts and mountain climbers among other "fun" things they deemed fit. sure it was miserable but they drilled it in your heads to just PAY ATTENTION to your surroundings. an exercise that i usually work with is what a few people above me mentioned the "what if" game and if that doesn't work for you try having someone challenge you every now and then to see if your "paying attention"

2. Remove Ads

Pretend your a kid again and use your imagination. "Play" a game of "spy." Walk into the grocery store, imagine that there is one enemy agent in disguise who is looking to drop you, and keep your eyes open.

Even a little kids game, you'll be amazed how much you begin to notice every detail.

It should be noted, do not take out your gun while you are "playing". (Also, I shudder at the thought of using a gun in a grocery store...masses of people, no real backstops....good place to practice SA regularly though).

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    SAP = Scan, Anticipate, Prepare to react

This is actually something that I learned in my motorcycle safety course many years ago, but I also apply it as prevention system.

I walk to work every day (about a mile) and what I do is that I look at least two blocks ahead (or around me) to see who and what I see. Then, I create a plan of action after assessing the potential threats.
    Oh yah, I remember this from many many years ago during one of my bike classes also, glad someone thought of this, it goes right along with everything I learned as a military cop and my MA/SDs.

I do stress to my family and friends that I teach that don't be on high alert all the time or you will burn yourself out, it takes a special type of person to be on high alert continously and most people can't do it without burning themselves out. Stay alert, but keep relaxed also, enjoy life at the same time, don't be a victim, but don't let it consume your life. It can be done.
    Last edited by Guardian; January 23rd, 2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Rewording
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links