Being Stuck in the Hospital - Page 2

Being Stuck in the Hospital

This is a discussion on Being Stuck in the Hospital within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bladenbullet not that i think it would change the way you feel about it because most of your banter at the hospital ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Being Stuck in the Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    not that i think it would change the way you feel about it because most of your banter at the hospital other than when you found out you were almost related to a nurse by geography was smartassed and self centered...but i agree with these guys...although youre gonna tell us youre more responsible than that and capable of making those decisions on your own your actions leave that in question...

sorry...i'm calling this one the way i see it...love the pepsi can balanced on the door trick...couldnt come up with some suture thread for trip wires?...
    well, you're right: it doesn't changer the way i feel, but i do welcome any and all comments, otherwise i wouldn't have posted my story.

i knew full well some people would take issue with me carrying while sick, or carrying in a business that's posted, and that's understandable.

just to clarify: the last time i was hospitalized, in September, i was brought in unconscience. i had pneumonia, and my brother says i passed out, and my lips were blue. he brought me in, and i woke up full of tubes and needles a few hours later.

the next day, once i had the intubation tube taken out, and i could talk and think clearly, i called my brother to let him know i was awake. the first thing he asked is whether i wanted him to bring my gun, and any other items i might need. if i'm awake, i'm clear headed. he made a good decision to disarm me before he took me to the hospital. like a few of you have said, i could have woken up confused, and done something terrible, i could have had my gun stolen...you all made good points.

VIP Member
    Several different comments:

1) Let's here it for Parkchester; not from there but nearby. Sadly, that once nice place and most of The Bronx are quite different than they were when I was young.

2) I see nothing wrong with bringing the gun in if it is legal to do so; same for the knife. But I think that since you know the Albuterol makes you nervous, you need to think about whether or not that is the wisest move.

3) Very sorry to hear about your severe asthma and your doc who yells though he means well and is a good guy.

4) While I don't know what prescriptions he sent you home with, I'll guess something pretty expensive like Advair. Have you called the company to see if there is help available? Have you tried to find any social service that can help you afford the medicine? Talk to social services at the hospital. It is in their interest to keep you from coming back. The ingredients in Advair can be found less expensively and there are substitutes. The high cost is paying for the unique delivery method.

Good luck with this. I am afraid that too many folks don't realize what a serious illness this is and how badly it can affect someone's quality of life.

P.S. Oral steroids, though not necessarily the best way to treat chronic asthma are inexpensive; or should be. If you get a chance ask your doc if he thinks you might try alternate day therapy with low doses of predisone.

Uh, and folks--- the word steroids isn't a bad word. It doesn't mean illegal drugs. There are illegal steroids, but that isn't what he was given or what he needs.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Uh, and folks--- the word steroids isn't a bad word. It doesn't mean illegal drugs. There are illegal steroids, but that isn't what he was given or what he needs.
    No question, there are legal steroids. It's a fairly broad family of medications.

There's also no question that some people have personality-altering reactions to steroids, particularly when receiving relatively high loading doses.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member

Steroids for asthma

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    No question, there are legal steroids. It's a fairly broad family of medications.

There's also no question that some people have personality-altering reactions to steroids, particularly when receiving relatively high loading doses.

Matt
    WHile every person will need individualized dosing, I think the concern you are raising is not a valid reason for him to not at least ask his doc about the possibility of low dose prednisone taken orally to keep his asthma under control It isn't ideal, but it beats not taking the expensive medicine he can't afford and so he doesn't take it.

Comments like "personality-altering" stigmatize the use of perfectly good medicines with generally few side effects, and scare providers from doing their job.

I have no idea what you are calling a high loading dose, but personality -altering (in a negative way) sure hasn't been the experience I and my family members have had with what I do think were high loading doses. If there was an alteration in personality it was positive-- because the problems; variously asthma, inflamed inner ear, severe allergies, and thrombophlebitis, all needed to be treated, and getting rid of the symptoms gives a nice boost to one's feeling of well being.

BTW-- we choke on some of our own anti-drug propaganda and fear.
    There are other developed civilized countries with strong laws against illegal use of drugs and solid policing, which for example allow the sale of of Tylenol with codeine OTC. Here, we'd arrest someone if they had it without a prescription. A great example of bowing to the fear mongers in the anti-drug world. Too many of us don't get proper treatment because of our own propaganda and fear.

i'[m finished with my steroid course; they were the onloy things i could afford. the Advair was RIDICULUOSLY expensive, the Singulair i'm picking up tomorrow.

the steroids do effect my behavior somewhat: they make me eat like maniac. i can't stop stuffing my face. whenever i'm on them, i gain 5 pounds, minimum. so, when i get sick, and i have to take albuterol and prednisone, i turn into an irritable glutton.

My Doc put me on prednisone one time and that stuff freaked me out...it was like a bad trip of paranoia and pondering the space/time continuum. He said that was an unusual reaction. I had never taken it before and after a couple of days I stopped it and have never taken it since. I guess you never know how you are going to be affected by meds you've never taken.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Senior Moderator
    WHile every person will need individualized dosing, I think the concern you are raising is not a valid reason for him to not at least ask his doc about the possibility of low dose prednisone taken orally to keep his asthma under control It isn't ideal, but it beats not taking the expensive medicine he can't afford and so he doesn't take it.

Comments like "personality-altering" stigmatize the use of perfectly good medicines with generally few side effects, and scare providers from doing their job.
    You seem to be reading things into what I am saying here.

Some people have acute reactions to steroids that can manifest in aggressive behavior. This is a fact, and carries no "stigma". It is simply something that should be considered.

I have no idea what you are calling a high loading dose, but personality -altering (in a negative way) sure hasn't been the experience I and my family members have had with what I do think were high loading doses.
    That's good to hear. While it is entirely possible that nobody you know will ever experience a steroid reaction of this sort, it does not mean it cannot happen.

If there was an alteration in personality it was positive-- because the problems; variously asthma, inflamed inner ear, severe allergies, and thrombophlebitis, all needed to be treated, and getting rid of the symptoms gives a nice boost to one's feeling of well being.

BTW-- we choke on some of our own anti-drug propaganda and fear.
    There are other developed civilized countries with strong laws against illegal use of drugs and solid policing, which for example allow the sale of of Tylenol with codeine OTC. Here, we'd arrest someone if they had it without a prescription. A great example of bowing to the fear mongers in the anti-drug world. Too many of us don't get proper treatment because of our own propaganda and fear.
    The existence of steroid induced behavioral changes is not "propaganda". It is well documented in the literature. This has nothing at all to do with illicit drugs.

For example: Psychiatric Adverse Drug Reactions: Steroid Psychosis

No propaganda involved, just medical research on the issue.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Me, I'm sitting here wondering what the violastion of law was when you decided you were going to carry, intentions of the property owner be damned?

You may think it's a Constitutional right to carry, but what makes your Constitutional rights more important than the next guy? If you want to carry in a hospital, find one that will allow you to do so is my opinion. Like I said, I'm wondering if their was a violation of law here, as I thought this forum didn't condone illegal practices?

I admit to not being a fan of criminal empowerment zones, but doing what you want irregardless of the laws or rules is what a thug does, not a card carrying so called good guy.

Hope you're breathing easier, but I'm calling this one as I see it.

Biker
    You know... you may be right and I've asked myself that question a thousand times(and had other folks ask me as well). I think though what I've decided it comes down to, is that someone's PROPERTY rights, don't trump my right to life.

That's what it comes down to for me. Self defense and the tools necessary for it are a direct corollary to the right to life. Without it, that right to life is only a privilege that can be taken by anyone.

Back on topic though. Glad you're out jah...stay healthy and listen to the doc more(yeah I say this as the same guy that doesn't go to the doc when he needs to either)... It must be something in the water...

Imagine what the happiness guard would have thought if he had managed to find out about the pistol.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member

re: MattinFla

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    You seem to be reading things into what I am saying here.

Some people have acute reactions to steroids that can manifest in aggressive behavior. This is a fact, and carries no "stigma". It is simply something that should be considered.
    People have aggressive behavior all the time and blame whatever the heck they last took instead of taking responsibility.

What I wrote was: "I think the concern you are raising is not a valid reason for him to not at least ask his doc about the possibility of low dose prednisone" How does steroid psychosis get in the picture when talking about "low dose" regimens?

His doc gave him Advair. He can't afford it. Singulair will likely not by itself do the trick and is also expensive. Our OP needs to talk to his doc about finding affordable medicine that will keep him out of the hospital. That's the issue.

I think that both ingredients in Advair are available individually at lower cost (not 100% sure) but in any case the leukotriene inhibitor and a low cost oral steroid, or a lower cost inhaled steroid can certainly be tried; and tried in various combinations and doses.

Sorry, but I get irritated at docs who prescribe the most expensive medicine to poorer people instead what is affordable and will work.

A patient can't get well if they can't fill the prescription.

RMS
    I hope you get to feeling better. My wife has asthma, so I know a little about what you are talking about. My question concerns the pepsi can on the door handle. I know why, but in a hospital where nurses are continually comin in and checking on you, was it worth the trouble?

Senior Moderator
    People have aggressive behavior all the time and blame whatever the heck they last took instead of taking responsibility.

What I wrote was: "I think the concern you are raising is not a valid reason for him to not at least ask his doc about the possibility of low dose prednisone" How does steroid psychosis get in the picture when talking about "low dose" regimens?
    I was not in any way discussing long term therapy. I was talking about the acute care setting in the hospital. It's not a matter of blaming the medication instead of taking responsibility. Did you read the paper I linked at all?

And I was in no way advocating any particular course of treatment. That's between him and his physician.

What I was advocating is caution in possessing a firearm under acute care conditions where altered mentation is a real possibility. People get combative when hypoxic, for example.

His doc gave him Advair. He can't afford it. Singulair will likely not by itself do the trick and is also expensive. Our OP needs to talk to his doc about finding affordable medicine that will keep him out of the hospital. That's the issue.

I think that both ingredients in Advair are available individually at lower cost (not 100% sure) but in any case the leukotriene inhibitor and a low cost oral steroid, or a lower cost inhaled steroid can certainly be tried; and tried in various combinations and doses.

Sorry, but I get irritated at docs who prescribe the most expensive medicine to poorer people instead what is affordable and will work.

A patient can't get well if they can't fill the prescription.
    None of this is at all relevant to the issue of his carrying / having the gun while in the hospital for an acute asthma attack. I wasn't suggesting anything about his medical care either in or out of the hospital.

What I was saying is that in the setting of being in the hospital for an asthma attack, with the possibility of impairment from medication reactions or hypoxia, it might not be wise to have a firearm immediately to hand.

Matt

The times I was in the hospital I was so ill that I had no interest in safety or guns.
    Since I have not heard of a BG going into a hospital and randomly shooting folks, I think it is not a problem.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    The times I was in the hospital I was so ill that I had no interest in safety or guns.
    Since I have not heard of a BG going into a hospital and randomly shooting folks, I think it is not a problem.

Regards,
    Jerry
    It's more of a concern in urban ERs than inpatient units, although things can happen anywhere. Many ERs experience gang related injuries and have had people enter the ER to finish what they started. I've worked in 4 hospitals and it's never been an issue in any of them that I've worked, but I know ones in which it has happened.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post

Regards,
    Jerry
    i never heard of mass shootings in malls or churches, until i did.
    Dumbledork likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    It's more of a concern in urban ERs than inpatient units, although things can happen anywhere. Many ERs experience gang related injuries and have had people enter the ER to finish what they started. I've worked in 4 hospitals and it's never been an issue in any of them that I've worked, but I know ones in which it has happened.
    I can see that could be very likely.

Regards,
    Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links