Being Stuck in the Hospital

This is a discussion on Being Stuck in the Hospital within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my first weekend of the New Year was spent in the hospital. just another chapter in the story of " I Don't Know What's Wrong ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Being Stuck in the Hospital

Being Stuck in the Hospital

my first weekend of the New Year was spent in the hospital. just another chapter in the story of "I Don't Know What's Wrong With My Lungs." i have asthma, but lately, it's been out of control. last week was pretty bad. i decided enough was enough, and checked myself into CMC, in Scranton.

i arrived on Friday afternoon, around 1 o'clock. i won't relate every thing i witnessed; all i can say is, you shoulda been there. it was almost like being back in NYC, and watching the drama unfold in big-city ERs. two obese women fighting over a man. some guy looking for the girlfriend he just beat up, to stop her from telling the police he beat her, by beating her up. some drunk guy, trying out for the National Long Distance Urinating Team, trying to pee on hospital security from his room while cuffed to a bed. two of Scranton's finest tackling some drugged out football player. all this, with an unarmed security team, and a conveniently placed "No Guns" sign for our benefit.

i was finally admitted, and was taken to a room upstairs, around 11:30 pm. i settled in, put on the hospital jammies, slipped the 1911 under the pillow, and a pocket folder, a Gerber (i'm unsure of the model), on the nightstand beside me. i closed the door, and balanced an empty can of Pepsi on the door latch, to wake me if someone entered the room.

the next day was pretty uneventful. i sat around in a bed, breathing in endless amounts of vaporized albuterol and ipratropium, steroids being fed through an IV, while entertaining the parade of women in scrubs who made their way to my room to check my pulse, look in my ears, and listen to my lung function. straight pimpin'.

albuterol does have a tendency to make me irritable, in high doses. spending the weekend in a hospital does nothing to improve that. i knew i was in a bad way when i found myself snapping at a reasonably attractive young woman from food services.

"hi! how are you?"

"i'm here, aren't i?"

i instantly felt like a huge jerk. she looked up at me, and smiled anyway, but it was one of those pitying smiles. i hate pitying smiles. i looked away, out of the window, and let her collect my dishes from lunch.

i decided to take a walk, in an attempt to find something unhealthy to eat. put my pants on, a t shirt on, and my sweater on. put the 1911 in my waistband, Mexican style. i've always wondered where that phrase came from. i've never seen a Mexican with a gun. is that how they do it down there? i think i'm going to start calling it Plaxico-style.

later on that evening, a younger nurse came by to give me another steroid treatment. she commented on my tattoos, asking me where i got them, then asked about this accent i supposedly have. "what borough are you from?"

"the Bronx."

"i knew it! what part?"

"Parkchester."

"get out! i'm from Castle Hill!"

we spoke for nearly 30 minutes, about moving from NYC to Scranton, the similarity in accents, tattoos, and crime. another nurse came looking for her, and noticed the folder sitting on the night stand.

"oh, wow, that's a big knife."

"uh, it's just a 4" blade."

"uh, can you put that in the drawer there? just to be safe?"

i looked at the other nurse, who was giving her the same mental facepalm that i was. "sure," i said. "for safety."

an hour later, she returned with security. "we're just gonna take that, to be safe. you can get it back when you leave."

"whatever." i still had my EDC knife, a Spyderco Chinook II, in my waistband, and my extra special secret 1911 under the pillow.

as they turned to leave, i called after them. "oh, for safety, can i have a security guard posted outside my room?"

"huh?"

"you know, for safety. there's no lock on the door, and people can just wander around up here."

they both gave me a puzzled look, and walked away.

Sunday morning, my doctor came in to yell at me. he's always yelling at me, for various reasons: i don't eat enough, i eat too much, why don't i ever see you but once a year, i don't care if you're not insured, if you're sick you need to come in! he decided i was healthy enough to go home, finally, and wrote me a billion presriptions i'll never fill out, because i'm broke.

i called for a ride, got dressed, and went to go collect my knife. the security guard on duty brought it out to me, and a double layered plastic bag, with my name and phone # written on it. "these bags are thick, it might be a pain in the ass to open," he warned.

"no problem." i opened up the Spydie, and sliced the bag open. the security guard stood there, slightly surprised.

"can i ask a question?"

"uh, sure."

"if some guy walked in here, with a machete, or a baseball bat, and started to swing it at people, what are you supposed to do?"

"call the police!"

"and what are we supposed to do?"

"we?"

"yeah, the people who aren't security guards. people like me."

"i guess, just do what you gotta do."

"hmm." i said nothing else, except to thank him, and walked out of the door. i looked back at the sign on the entrance, and shook my head. i guess doing what i gotta do doesn't involve defending myself. it pissed me off just a little.

normally, those signs don't perturb me in the slightest, because i ignore them, and conceal my dirty little heart away. this time, it irritated me, and not because of the albuterol. there i was, sick, tired, and not at 100% physically. in fact, it's safe to say that if you're hospitalized, you're more vulnerable than normal. hospitals, it seems to me now, are buildings full of victims, waiting to happen.

not me, man. not me.

2. Remove Ads

Spent 49 days in the hospital after an accident...

I know full well about "Being Stuck in the Hospital" brother!

Hope your feeling much better now
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I like your approach to the "for safety" comments and with the guard. Ask questions and make them hear themselves say the answer and realize how stupid it sounds. "What are we supposed to do?" I think that is a very fair and valid question. Someone else being comfortable with hiding behind the desk with 911 on the phone doesnt' mean that they should have the right to force us to take the same actions.
    Walk softly ...

Wow. Maybe the next time I go to the hospital around here, I won't find quite so much to complain about... That hospital sounds about as safe as a street corner at night. The security guard didn't have very good answers, nor provisions.

Placing your knife in the drawer "for safety". And then she narced on you. Good comeback for asking for a security guard to be posted outside the door, for safety!

Placing the 1911 under your hospital bed pillow? You're committed to carrying for sure.

Sheesh, sometimes I'd be happy to get even a pitiful smile.

I hope the docs are able to help you get/stay healthy. Not only so you can be healthy, but also so you can avoid similar situations as you related. Entertaining for sure (at least if you're not the one in it), but sounds like it does come with risks.

+3 for being prepared.

Me, I'm sitting here wondering what the violastion of law was when you decided you were going to carry, intentions of the property owner be damned?

You may think it's a Constitutional right to carry, but what makes your Constitutional rights more important than the next guy? If you want to carry in a hospital, find one that will allow you to do so is my opinion. Like I said, I'm wondering if their was a violation of law here, as I thought this forum didn't condone illegal practices?

I admit to not being a fan of criminal empowerment zones, but doing what you want irregardless of the laws or rules is what a thug does, not a card carrying so called good guy.

Hope you're breathing easier, but I'm calling this one as I see it.

Biker

Enjoyed your story...
    Here in Gainesville, our main hospital is associated with the University of Florida, so carry of any weapons is highly illegal.
    Hope your next hospital visit is years away...stay healthy.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Me, I'm sitting here wondering what the violastion of law was when you decided you were going to carry, intentions of the property owner be damned?

You may think it's a Constitutional right to carry, but what makes your Constitutional rights more important than the next guy? If you want to carry in a hospital, find one that will allow you to do so is my opinion. Like I said, I'm wondering if their was a violation of law here, as I thought this forum didn't condone illegal practices?

I admit to not being a fan of criminal empowerment zones, but doing what you want irregardless of the laws or rules is what a thug does, not a card carrying so called good guy.

Hope you're breathing easier, but I'm calling this one as I see it.

Biker
    fair enough. in PA, there's no violation of law, at least not a clear cut one. if i enter a business that's posted against firearms, and they ask me to leave, i must, or i can be charged with defiant trespass.

there are few places in PA where i cannot carry by law: courthouses, federal buildings, schools. this is the law, and i follow it, even though i don't like it. believe me, if there was a hospital near me that allowed me to carry, i'd go there.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Wow. Maybe the next time I go to the hospital around here, I won't find quite so much to complain about... That hospital sounds about as safe as a street corner at night. The security guard didn't have very good answers, nor provisions.

Placing your knife in the drawer "for safety". And then she narced on you. Good comeback for asking for a security guard to be posted outside the door, for safety!

Placing the 1911 under your hospital bed pillow? You're committed to carrying for sure.

Sheesh, sometimes I'd be happy to get even a pitiful smile.

I hope the docs are able to help you get/stay healthy. Not only so you can be healthy, but also so you can avoid similar situations as you related. Entertaining for sure (at least if you're not the one in it), but sounds like it does come with risks.

+3 for being prepared.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm lovin it

To the OP,
    sounds like you should go and buy one of the home nebulizer treatment machines, and give yourself treatments @ home, you'll be safer, this is what I do, as I have asthma and reoccurring bronchitis

Okay, I pulled the pin. Now what? Hey! Where are ya going?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Jah,
    No comment here on the weapons. I may or may not have done the same thing.

Just wanted to say, I hope you're feeling better.
    Great reply to the guard though about posting at your door. I'd hope that made him think, but I doubt it. Entertained US though!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I work in a hospital that is posted and I feel ya. I have to deal with upset people all of the time (patients, families, visitors, employees) and it concerns me as an employee. I can imagine as a patient, especially after seeing the carnival of folks you described. The unfortunate reality is that the signs are not going to stop someone intent on doing others harm. It is a very helpless feeling. I hope you stay well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My 2 cents:
    Putting a firearm under your pillow in a hospital setting where you know you're going to be either sedated or pumped full of steriods seems a bit irresponsible.
    My mother in-law has chronic lung issues and is often hospitalized. The steriods they give her change her from a mild mannered elderly women into a foul mouthed angry b$%^h.
    At night she takes her cough medicine so she can sleep and it contains some sort of strong narcotic to knock her out. I can't imagine her, or anyone else in her condition packing a gun while under the influence of the meds she needs to take.

No disrespect intended, you do what you gotta do....
    Hope you are feeling better!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    fair enough. in PA, there's no violation of law, at least not a clear cut one. if i enter a business that's posted against firearms, and they ask me to leave, i must, or i can be charged with defiant trespass.

there are few places in PA where i cannot carry by law: courthouses, federal buildings, schools. this is the law, and i follow it, even though i don't like it. believe me, if there was a hospital near me that allowed me to carry, i'd go there.
    Setting aside legality for a moment, having a loaded firearm under your pillow when you are in a condition where there is a real possibility of significant sensory/cognitive impairment (medications, hypoxia from another asthma attack) is reckless at best, IMHO.

Hopefully, the situation will never arise again, but if it does I hope you make a better decision on what to do.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    My 2 cents:
    Putting a firearm under your pillow in a hospital setting where you know you're going to be either sedated or pumped full of steriods seems a bit irresponsible.
    My mother in-law has chronic lung issues and is often hospitalized. The steriods they give her change her from a mild mannered elderly women into a foul mouthed angry b$%^h.
    At night she takes her cough medicine so she can sleep and it contains some sort of strong narcotic to knock her out. I can't imagine her, or anyone else in her condition packing a gun while under the influence of the meds she needs to take.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Setting aside legality for a moment, having a loaded firearm under your pillow when you are in a condition where there is a real possibility of significant sensory/cognitive impairment (medications, hypoxia from another asthma attack) is reckless at best, IMHO.

Hopefully, the situation will never arise again, but if it does I hope you make a better decision on what to do.

Matt
    not that i think it would change the way you feel about it because most of your banter at the hospital other than when you found out you were almost related to a nurse by geography was smartassed and self centered...but i agree with these guys...although youre gonna tell us youre more responsible than that and capable of making those decisions on your own your actions leave that in question...

sorry...i'm calling this one the way i see it...love the pepsi can balanced on the door trick...couldnt come up with some suture thread for trip wires?...

Senior Moderator
    Having taken care of more than a few asthmatics in my EMS career who were hypoxic and combative, I'm glad none were armed.

And even in someone who has taken them before, there is the potential for serious reactions to steroids which can include very aggressive behavioral changes.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    My 2 cents:

hell, i'm a foul mouthed SOB when i'm not on medication....

the albuterol makes me irritable, but doesn't effect my judgement in the least. and the pillow is safer than the nightstand, i think; it was still in a holster, so no danger of the trigger being activated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links