Sheepdog vs. Witness - Page 2

Sheepdog vs. Witness

This is a discussion on Sheepdog vs. Witness within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In SC we have the "alter ego" rule which provides a legal reason for you to intercede on someone else's behalf if you believe that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sheepdog vs. Witness

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    In SC we have the "alter ego" rule which provides a legal reason for you to intercede on someone else's behalf if you believe that the other person is in imminent danger of "great" bodily injury or death; you can assume that if that other person was you, you would bring into play deadly force. From the story, the kicking that is described is not, IMO, bringing into play imminent danger of "great" bodily injury or death; short of standing by (which you did) and calling 911 (which you did) there really is very little else you should or could do considering the fact that your innocent intervention could have escalated matters if the "kicker" had more of an arsenal than just his foot.

Just mho,......

Per your recounting, I see it as a 'textbook' example. Sorta' the practice of 'first, do no harm', right? The self analysis, as to the feeling of 'coward' is understandable. That is emotion, which, your rational thought processes obviously contradict. Caveat: I am not a Psy/chiatrist-chologist. I only wrote what seems to me common sense. However, I may be as full of it as a six week old puppy!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ming View Post
    Good job IMO. I agree with your 3 points. No reason to be upset with yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    None necessary. Your actions and the reasons behind them make good sense to me.

^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^

I agree with these guys Saber, I think what you did mirrors what most would have done.

'Because that's all the ammunition we had.'
    Polk Co. Fla. Sheriff Grady Judd
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I think your reaction to this incident was handled as you best saw it fit. Have you had any feelings of doubt, that maybe this incident needed more action from you? Many years ago I witness the beating of a small person being punched and kicked by a much bigger guy to the point of unconsciousness. Te victims father begged for help from bystenders that ignored his plea. No one wanted to get involved and the beating continued. My lack of involvement has bothered me a lot. I felt I should have done something.

I think your reaction to this incident was handled as you best saw it fit. Have you had any feelings of doubt that maybe this incident needed more action from you? Many years ago I witness the beating of a small person being punched and kicked by a much bigger guy to the point of unconsciousness. The victims father begged for help from bystanders that ignored his plea. No one wanted to get involved and the beating continued. My lack of involvement has bothered me a lot. I feel I should have done something.

Domestic situation is a no-no...till you are sure it isn't, then and only then can you help. Since somebody is already helping, then you did the right thing by keeping your distance and be a good witness. It is all you can do...congratulations for keeping your head on your shoulders.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

I think your reaction to this incident was handled as you best saw it fit. Have you had any feelings of doubt that maybe this incident needed more action from you? Many years ago I witness the beating of a small person being punched and kicked by a much bigger guy to the point of unconsciousness. The victims father begged for help from bystanders that ignored his plea. No one wanted to get involved and the beating continued. My lack of involvement has bothered me a lot. I feel I should have done something.

Sounds good to me. Someone was already on the scene, observing from a distance was a good call.

I would have done the same thing. Looks to me, like you did good.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    great job in my opinion...you are not law enforcement and dr phil isnt looking for a helper...

a domestic quarrel or street disagreement is not your business and you did a great job keeping law enforcement informed...approaching the situation is an unnecessary risk and not needed as the solution played itself out...

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    . From the story, the kicking that is described is not, IMO, bringing into play imminent danger of "great" bodily injury or death; short of standing by .
    I bet I can kill you with my foot. I bet I can break ribs, punture lungs, rupture spleen, bruise heart, collapse a lung. What do you consider "great" injury? This question comes up a lot on many forums. Is a good butt whoopin a threat of permanent or great harm. I have know people to end up in the hospital for a week from one good punch. Where is the line drawn?

This is not directed at the OP, I would have probably done the same or similar.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links