Officer from my agency stabbed

This is a discussion on Officer from my agency stabbed within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got the call on SAT morning that and officer from the agency I am retired from was seriously stabbed. Here is the story related ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Officer from my agency stabbed

Officer from my agency stabbed

I got the call on SAT morning that and officer from the agency I am retired from was seriously stabbed. Here is the story related to me by a Sergeant that I field trained and served on the SWAT team with.

OFC Duncan was working secondary employment in full uniform outside of the Diamond Club. The club employees and officer to stand in the lobby and assist at the door.

At approx 0145 hrs OFC Duncan was notified that there was a fight in the parking lot. Unbeknown to OFC Duncan the suspect was beating his girlfriend in the parking lot when several people tried to intervene. The suspect produced a flea market version of a Smith & Wesson folder with a 50/50 blade with a 3.5 inch blade. Before OFC Duncan's arrival one victim was stabbed 8 times in the back and another in the eye. Upon OFC Duncan's arrival he found several people attempting to subdue the suspect. As OFC Duncan attempted to assist he was stabbed 6 times in the upper left thigh. At this point several other people dogpiled the suspect and held him on the ground. One of his fingers was severed as he was tackled on the knife.

Upon the arrival of my buddy he found OFC Duncan laying in a huge pool of blood from a Femoral bleed. My buddy used a belt and is ASP to make a tourniquet that probably saved Duncan's life. Duncan was flown to Shock Trauma in Baltimore where he underwent surgery and expected to make a full recovery.

Here are some thoughts-

So much for the 21 foot rule. At this point it looks like OFC Duncan did not even see the knife which is the case in most cuttings/stabbings. He arrived to a dog pile in progress in a low light situation. I have been in many altercations in the same parking lot and the lighting is very poor to say the least.

Including OFC Duncan' there were five people stabbed with no fatalities. I believe one person remains in critical positon. It sounds like OFC Duncan was immediatly out of the fight after being stabbed and the suspect chose not to continue the assault.

So much for not having to use a tourniquet in an urban settting.

As I find out more information I will post it. Here is the news story.

Off Duty Officer Stabbed At Aberdeen Club - Baltimore News Story - WBAL Baltimore

- George

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    "Upon the arrival of my buddy he found OFC Duncan laying in a huge pool of blood from a Femoral bleed."

That's QUICK and extremely bad news.

Hope that he does have a swift & complete recovery.

Was Officer Duncan completely incapacitated & "out of it" to the degree that he was not physically able to begin to perform some life saving measures on himself?

Or was your friend able to begin to render emergency assistance before Officer Duncan even had the chance?

I'm probably not being very clear.
    In short & for clarification was Officer Duncan "Lights Out and Bled Out" to the degree that he would have been unable to do anything for himself (to slow his bleeding) had your friend not showed up so quickly?

Just curious.

Senior Moderator
    Wow.

Full femoral bleed only lasts about two minutes and then its over. He's lucky someone that had a clue was there to save his life.I wish him the best.

Its just goes to illustrate how fast things can change for the worst.

Standing in the lobby one minute, bleeding out the next.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

WOW, prayers for the officer. People are just plain crazy...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

This just reinforces my belief that at distances of less than 2' where people can touch each other, the knife is truly a terrifying and deadly weapon, one reason is certainly because they can be concealed so easily. I am glad your colleague is doing well, godspeed for a hasty recovery.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Administrator
    Knives are often under estimated, even the little folders are deadly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glad it appears he is surviving it... looks something to include in the training.
    It also says something to everyone about stepping into an occurring event without assessing everything, esp in low light, and how dangerous a knife can be.

It's good the bystanders jumped into subdue the perp, but some of them obviously paid a high price. Hope the BG gets an attempted murder charge or 2 or 3 out of it.

How horrible. I hope he recovers and has no complications.

Bad news! I do hope he pulls through!

The nastiest wounds I've ever seen came from blades.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Hope and pray that the LEO recovers quickly and fully.

Some folks on this forum are so shocked at what a knife can do up close and personal.

With a lock blade folder you don't have to worry about over penetration and many folks are much faster with a lock blade folder than with their CC pistol.

This parking lot fight might have been effectively broken up with a good shot OC and the stabbing may have been averted altogether.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

A small, legal, folder knife has been advised to me for sd when I cant carry my gun (workplace). And they've given me advice on how to use it and I've done some practicing. This knife has a place in my sd practices, just like pepper spray would...but different scenarios.

I'm supposed to use it if SA fails or I'm not fast enough to escape being grabbed...have it already out when walking....then if grabbed stab or scrape "anything" I can reach...hands, forearms, thighs, etc. Unless highly motivated, most bgs will decide you're not worth it. (if a bg 'grabs' a woman it's not likely he's after her purse...that is attempted in other types of confrontations).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Sorry to hear this, hope he makes a complete recovery, and soon!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    A small, legal, folder knife has been advised to me for sd when I cant carry my gun (workplace). And they've given me advice on how to use it and I've done some practicing. This knife has a place in my sd practices, just like pepper spray would...but different scenarios.

I'm supposed to use it if SA fails or I'm not fast enough to escape being grabbed...have it already out when walking....then if grabbed stab or scrape "anything" I can reach...hands, forearms, thighs, etc. Unless highly motivated, most bgs will decide you're not worth it. (if a bg 'grabs' a woman it's not likely he's after her purse...that is attempted in other types of confrontations).
    Just curious as to whom they are?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    WOW, prayers for the officer. People are just plain crazy...
    yes they are...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Good flashlight would have been handy too. Either to get a better look at the situation or to club that idiot with it. Hope he recovers quickly.

Also a good example of why a shot to the leg is not necessarily less lethal than COM. I had and extensive argument about that on another board. A femoral bleed is life threatening, period.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links