After shooting perp - Correct procedure?

This is a discussion on After shooting perp - Correct procedure? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello my fellow DC.com guys/gals, I am new here and this my first thread post. The gf and I live in Texas and decided to ...

Thread: After shooting perp - Correct procedure?

After shooting perp - Correct procedure?

Hello my fellow DC.com guys/gals,

I am new here and this my first thread post. The gf and I live in Texas and decided to start proceeding with our CHL course (hopefully by the end of the month), and learning about guns (different types, safety, ammo, etc.).

What brings me to start this thread today was to ask: What is the proper procedure after drawing your gun and firing to stop the threat/s that caused you to draw? I read the other thread below about a scenario, but didn't want to go off topic of the OP's topic/scenario.

I do understand that I will be taught these and other procedures/laws in the CHL course, but just kinda curious. I've always found different answers as there seems to be an influx of misinformation as well as correct information (but I cannot tell what is right/wrong). Any input would be great!

The reason I brought this up was we are weighing out the pros/cons of owning a firearm. I've personally decided it was the right thing for me to do, but worried of the legal matters it may carry with it.

2. Remove Ads

check your surroundings for other potential threats (many BG's hunt in packs), holster weapon, call 911, tell police officers you were in fear for your life, did what you had to do to stop the threat, and that you'll be happy to cooperate AFTER speaking with your lawyer
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Call 911 and let them know you were involved "in an incident" and that you need an ambulance. Once the medics and police arrive, put down your gun and put your hands out. As was said before, expect to be held at gunpoint and expect to be put into handcuffs.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I would consult a lawyer now who specializes in ccw/ laws pertaining to firearms from your state. I would also then, a) put his phone number in your wallet and cell phone and b) give him a small retainer. This way you have your ducks are lined up should the SHTF! God forbid! Your lawyer will answer all your questions. JMO
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Quote Originally Posted by hakuthedog View Post
    What is the proper procedure after drawing your gun and firing to stop the threat/s that caused you to draw?
    There are some basic steps that anyone needs to do, in order to survive the encounter. Keep in mind that the encounter only ends when you're safely in bed, that night. Until then, there are plenty of things to manage.

Hopefully, you will have gone through all of these questions with legal counsel prior to ever encountering an ugly situation. It's important, because things can go drastically wrong if you mismanage it. You need to know how your state's laws apply to you in this situation, and you need to properly manage the situation according to a basic, sane and rational plan so that you don't put your foot in your mouth, legally speaking.

This is basically how I was trained:

• Ensure the perpetrator is contained -- Continue to monitor, manage, ensuring no further threat can arise from the felon. Do so from a distance, if possible.

• Contact police for assistance -- Get the cavalry moving, so that police/paramedics can help.

• Ensure innocents are helped -- Determine whether anyone else has been injured and, if able, take steps to assist.

• Take care that physical evidence is not destroyed and does not "walk away" from the scene.

• Prepare to receive the incoming police -- Since you do not want to get shot, and since police don't know who is who when first arriving, you need to take precautions to ensure that bad things don't occur in the first moments when help arrives.

• Keep your mouth SHUT until you have conferred with legal counsel. Why? Because the law supports the idea that anything you say will actively be used against you. Think about that for awhile, if you doubt it.

Basically, that's it. Keep safe; help the injured; don't damage evidence; and be aware that help is on the way.

Personally, I'm not going near a threatening felon who has just attempted to rape/rob/murder me or mine. Neither is anyone else. It's entirely possible the felon is still armed and dangerous. I'm not a doctor, I don't have the right tools. As well, I need to worry about the horrible chemical dump that's coursing through my body at about this time, which is going to take a toll on the ability to make medical decisions. Thus, the felon is going to await the arrival of professional medical help. Sux to be him, at this moment, but this is what he set in motion. He's going to have to deal with it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thank you all for the prompt responses! That is a good idea to consult with a lawyer first. I'll start looking through Google to find some in my area.

If possible give them a good description of yourself, particularly if you are having to or legally can hold them at gun point. And remember, most states allow you to leave the scene if you still fear for your life. In reality I don't care what the law says, if I need to leave I am out of there. If you leave call 911 and arrange a meeting place with officers. Be the first one to make the 911 call, it just looks good for you.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Call 911 and let them know you were involved "in an incident" and that you need an ambulance. Once the medics and police arrive, put down your gun and put your hands out. As was said before, expect to be held at gunpoint and expect to be put into handcuffs.
    always Lawyer up always ... You know that us DC members sound crazy like "o if I'm innocent i have nothing to hide" We have all read/seen to many of the GG (good Guys) put in trial and in jail because they didn't lawyer up.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Would it cost money to keep a lawyer on retainer? Or do I just meet with one around my neck of the woods, and see how they proceed from there?

I personally don't have a lawyer (or know one for that matter).

It's good to know I would be able to leave the scene. I am assuming it should be okay in Texas (as to it seems we have a fairly lenient gun law versus other states). But of course, I will consult with the lawyer and CHL class to confirm that before I make an ass of myself with that assumption.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Welcome from Houston!

One thing I'll add (to avoid repeating the good advice already given) is to use the word "help" when calling 9-1-1. Say "I need help" as you are truly the victim here. Avoid saying anything but "i need medical assistance and/or a lawyer before giving a statement." If your girlfriend is present, I would recommend her to say the same thing.

If you haven't watched the youtube videos "Don't talk to the police" (or whatever they're called) then I suggest you and your girlfriend watch it. There's links on here in several places.

Links