CCW Shooting

CCW Shooting

This is a discussion on CCW Shooting within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the only place I could think to start this thread. I found the link for it on another forum and I think EVERYONE ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Shooting

CCW Shooting

This is the only place I could think to start this thread. I found the link for it on another forum and I think EVERYONE here should read it

My CCW Shooting Encounter AAR - AR15.COM

Further searching stated that the permit holder's shot took off the dirtbags hand, and I assume that they did catch him...it doesn't really give a summary of that...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lots a words, I'm not sure I get the point. Sorry, maybe too much Cab/Merlot. It justed sounded like talking for the sake of talking. Can you boil it down a little for me?
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

This happend really close to me...I never heard of it happening...
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

News Tribune -Local News

news article from one of the links to the story
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Maybe Im off, and i dont know the laws where that guy was. but... isnt it illegal to have a gun in your posessition while drinking..

not that what he did wasnt a great thing, but maybe the bad guy could use that against him... hope im wrong
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

I think he usually drank, but didn't on this occasion. I don't know for sure, but that's what it seemed like from his story and the lack of mentioning from the article.

Wow - that is an intense story. Basically he unholstered his 1911 and then exchanged shots with a robber at point-blank range (who had a revolver.) Both were hit. Then the robber runs to the door. He clears a jam and then realizes he's been hit in the hands - which causes him not to be able to engage the grip safety well. Then they trade some more shots and the robber runs out of ammo.

They both lived and he stopped the robbery and who knows what else the robber was going to do.

Lessons learned from this:
    - carry with one in the chamber
    - practice in non-traditional positions (maybe with a laser?)
    - prepare to shoot at really close ranges
    - think about what to do if you can't use one hand
    - grip safeties might be hard to use if your hand is injured

interesting read. my favorite ranges don't allow for holster draws. Something we should all practice regularly.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bill View Post
    interesting read. my favorite ranges don't allow for holster draws. Something we should all practice regularly.
    Mine doesn't either. I practice sort of a bench draw. Lay the firearm on the bench, safety on, pick it up, disengage safety and fire.
    Not an exact duplication of a holster draw, but similar.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

You can practice draw and fire at home with snap caps. Use your normal carry rig, and NO LIVE AMMO anywhere near you. Do it with everything from T-shirts to coats.

The guy did good, he survived an assault where the bad guy had the gun out and pointed at him and his friends while he was still holstered.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

VIP Member
    Interesting story... The truth is often stranger than fiction...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    You can practice draw and fire at home with snap caps. Use your normal carry rig, and NO LIVE AMMO anywhere near you. Do it with everything from T-shirts to coats.

The guy did good, he survived an assault where the bad guy had the gun out and pointed at him and his friends while he was still holstered.
    I don't have any experience with snap caps.. are they as loud as regular bullets? And where can you usually find them?

VIP Member
    He... told me to get up. He decided to assist me by grabbing onto my jacket with his left hand and pull me up. As I pushed myself up as well, I slid my hands under my chest to grab my pistol.

When he pulled me up, he was at my 5 O'clock position. I was still trying to keep him from seeing my gun until I was able to turn into him, so when I came up, I basically had my right hand (holding the pistol) tight to my stomach/chest with the muzzle pointed in the direction of my left shoulder. I don't know why I did that, except to conceal it and maybe so he couldn't take it away from me. I started turning to my right, into him, flipping the safety at some point along the way. He either saw the gun or heard the safety click as I had turned into him enough for him to be at my 3 O'clock and shoved his revolver inside my open jacket against my stomach and fired the first round. Luckily, his angle was off and it only grazed my stomach. Unluckily, I had my left hand tucked against my left side and the round passed through my palm and out the base of my thumb at my wrist.

I continued turning toward him while lowering my pistol to return fire, which evidently put the right hand directly in the line of fire as he squeezed off another round.
    Quickest and most effective shot for the good guy is when the bad guy is at five o'clock, to hold the right arm akimbo with the pistol upside down and fire point blank into the upper-leg, lower torso of the bad guy. Then move toward 11 o'clock while turning and firing. Some guns won't fire if the muzzle is pushed point blank into a hard object like a belt buckle, bag of loot, another weapon, etc.
    The good guy did well to get as far as he did.

Here is an additional related thread

CCW Holder in Shooting Used a DW CBOB - 1911Forum

both this and the original are worth reading, as well as a follow up by LEO and .mil as to their experiences.

The OP had not had any formal defensive firearms training. He is planning to do this now as soon as he heals. While I applaud this, I would also suggest hand to hand/knife etc. In the very close range with the BG at 5 o'clock, a non-firearms related strategy may have prevented anyone getting shot.

In addition it underscores the value of deep concealment. Part of the reason the situation escalated was the BG finding the victims empty holster (he had drawn and was hiding his gun at that point). Again it may have been just a simple robbery had the BG not suspected a firearm in the vicinity.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links