CC situation - Page 2

CC situation

This is a discussion on CC situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is an advantage to having options at hand. When you're walking your dog, have a small cannister of pepper spray readily accessible. Your pistol ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CC situation

There is an advantage to having options at hand. When you're walking your dog, have a small cannister of pepper spray readily accessible. Your pistol can remain in its holster. Panhandler approaches, pull your pepper spray out so it's immediately usable but not displayed. Panhandler gets too close, give him a taste. If he attacks you with a weapon or you are in true fear for your life, you will likely have a second or two to unholster your gun and fire to stop the threat.

If the panhandler did not have a weapon, using non-lethal force (pepper spray) just saved you a huge amount of legal hassles. Had there been a weapon, the spray would have slowed him down, possibly deterred the threat, or simply bought you some precious seconds to draw your gun.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    There is an advantage to having options at hand. When you're walking your dog, have a small cannister of pepper spray readily accessible. Your pistol can remain in its holster. Panhandler approaches, pull your pepper spray out so it's immediately usable but not displayed. Panhandler gets too close, give him a taste. If he attacks you with a weapon or you are in true fear for your life, you will likely have a second or two to unholster your gun and fire to stop the threat.

If the panhandler did not have a weapon, using non-lethal force (pepper spray) just saved you a huge amount of legal hassles. Had there been a weapon, the spray would have slowed him down, possibly deterred the threat, or simply bought you some precious seconds to draw your gun.
    How about when the panhandler approaches I pull out my GUN so it's immediately useable but not displayed? If he attacks with a weapon or I'm in true fear for my life then I'm able to shoot before he can hopefully not get close enough to cause me harm or death. If he has no weapon and I believe him to not be a seriuos threat, then the gun can return to it's holster.

I refuse to get behind the "curve".

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Then people shouldn't go around acting like nails.
    And some shouldn't act like nail holes....

Quote Originally Posted by wkientz1 View Post
    I really don't know how to answer the situation you were in because:
    #1 You do not have a CC permit yet
    #2 You carry a weapon

I was prevented from carrying a weapon before I got my permit. Meanwile during all those times i spent waiting for my permit to come, I do things that I need to do during the daylight hours. Or have my husband drive me to places I need to go because he got his permit first even though he did not carry at the time, I have my gun in the console of the car. I was reprimanded for doing that so i did not go out until I got my permit. In the meantime, I practice and practice and practice.
    This was a hypothetical situation, not an actual event.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    from Central Florida!

You need to take a SD pistol course where all your questions and concerns can be discussed. Situational awareness can help keep panhandlers at a distance.

ret
    What he said! (retsup is always right on). Get trained.

When you get your gun, license & gear, it doesn't end there; it's just the beginning.

Since I got my EDC & license & began carrying 3 years ago, I have shelled out 3 times more for training than what I paid for my gun (& my gun wasn't exactly cheap).
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada!

When it comes to the "homeless" you have to take each person on a case by case basis. Some of the are more aggressive than others in various degrees. Some just take the rejection of not giving them money & walk away. Some don't!

I'm a security guard here in Vegas. One of the properties I guard is located next door to a park where the homeless go at night. Prior to the company I work for starting security there were a number of home burglaries, vehicles vandalized, etc. Now that a security patrol is there during the evening hours these type events are greatly reduced.

I work as an "unarmed" security officer. It's against my security company policy to carry firearms unless hired to do so. I still carry my concealed G26 with me while I'm working. Some homeless people have serious mental health issues. I would rather take the risk of carrying my G26 than risk losing my life in a "worse case scenario." If someone has a knife, box cutter, etc., my primary concern has to be my safety. I hope it never comes down to that issue all the same.

My immediate supervisor knows I carry while at work. He's a former LEO as well. He totally understands that my safety is my responsibility. He's already told me that if I have to use my handgun to defend myself it's safe to assume that I'll be terminated. But, I'll still be alive to find another job! That's more important in the "big picture."

As someone mentioned earlier, "It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six." If it came down to a choice of my job or my life, my life is more important than my job. My former job was as a hotel desk clerk where I was robbed FOUR times at gunpoint! I don't ever want to feel that helpless again.

Again, when it comes to the "homeless", proceed with caution.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; January 24th, 2010 at 02:37 PM.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Get a bigger, meaner dog?
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

If he has a weapon than you will probably be ok. If he does not, you will need a good lawyer.
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    Get a bigger, meaner dog?
    You mean....like this one???

Is 'Giant George' the world's tallest dog? The 7ft-long blue great dane could claim title | Mail Online

Sorry...someone already owns this one...
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

I learned this technique while travelling in Eastern Europe. For ultra aggressive pan handlers carry a couple low value bills crumbled up in a wad as 'throw down' money. When the pan handler gets out of hand, you throw down the crumbled up bills and make your escape. The pan handler can't resist the sight of the bills on the ground.
    I know, I hate to give them money too. But when I was over there I was unarmed, and even here in the U.S. when armed, it would be better to'throw down' a couple dollars than to allow the encounter to escalate.
    Note this is a next to last resort after employing proper situational awareness and assertiveness to hopefully avoid the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    I learned this technique while travelling in Eastern Europe. For ultra aggressive pan handlers carry a couple low value bills crumbled up in a wad as 'throw down' money. When the pan handler gets out of hand, you throw down the crumbled up bills and make your escape. The pan handler can't resist the sight of the bills on the ground.
    I read an idea here that I like, a couple of weeks ago.

If you carry tactical (superbright) light, shine that in their eyes to discourage them.

Just an idea.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

And it will buy you some time too -- to run or turn around the other way.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    I know, I hate to give them money too. But when I was over there I was unarmed, and even here in the U.S. when armed, it would be better to'throw down' a couple dollars than to allow the encounter to escalate.
    Note this is a next to last resort after employing proper situational awareness and assertiveness to hopefully avoid the situation.
    Massad Ayoob discusses a variation of the "money toss" in "In the Gravest Extreme".....
    Here Mas is discussing being accosted by a band of street punks....and tossing the "ring-leader" a (small) bill wrapped around a matchbook.....
    Caveat emptor......"....Will it work? ......Maybe.....or it just might whet his appetite to go for my wallet....."
    End of the day...if you HAD to resort to deadly force.....the fact you tried to "buy him off" will have some weight on YOUR legal side....
    maddyfish nailed it, though.....it irks you to have to knuckle under and cough up some jing.....but it's far cheaper than some "alternatives"......

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by das38spl View Post
    Massad Ayoob discusses a variation of the "money toss" in "In the Gravest Extreme".....
    Here Mas is discussing being accosted by a band of street punks....and tossing the "ring-leader" a (small) bill wrapped around a matchbook.....
    Caveat emptor......"....Will it work? ......Maybe.....or it just might whet his appetite to go for my wallet....."
    End of the day...if you HAD to resort to deadly force.....the fact you tried to "buy him off" will have some weight on YOUR legal side....
    maddyfish nailed it, though.....it irks you to have to knuckle under and cough up some jing.....but it's far cheaper than some "alternatives"......
    Thanks for posting that
    I'm going to employ the idea and add that to my arsonal

For the OP, you want to keep distance between you and a threat. In the defense class they teach you when someone rushes you to put your weak hand out to establish the 3' rule this can give you vital miliseconds to plan a retreat. If retreat is not an option draw and fire.

The above is why its good to have a CHL but its much better to employ more then just 1 line of defense. Non lethal means such as pepper spray or tazer and other tactics such as martial arts training. If you have an unarmed person against you, you act on the threat and the jury finds it unjustified... its easier to fight off assault charges then murder charges.

Quote Originally Posted by nbock951 View Post
    Hello all, I'm a new member here. Currently awaiting my cpl to come back from state.
    I have a question on a situation, because I am moving to an area I am less familar with and does have a much larger population and its a metropolitan area.
    For instance, I'm out in the neighborhood walking my dog. Its hard, kinds of late, someone walks up asking for a couple dollars. "sorry man I dont have any" he replied "oh yeah lets see about that" puts his hand in his pocket. At this point im going for my gun, I draw and he decides to rush me. Though in this short instance I cannot see any weapon, I have one. And if he gets it from me, I may be a dead man.
    Question, shoot upon him rushing me, or dont shoot. I dont want to feel the need to hesitate in a situation because Im worried about justifying my shot more than worrying about my own well being.
    On a side note, I hope I never have to use my gun and never plan to. I just want to plan to react accordingly if the need for it shows.

thanks all for any input.
    You already took the class in Michigan that is required to get you CPL and this was not covered. Sounds to me like you got taken on the class. You should have gotten some training on the legal responsibilities as a CPL holder, and what justifies drawing/or using lethal force.

from the Michigan Statues:

28.425j Pistol training or safety program; conditions.

Sec. 5j.

(1) A pistol training or safety program described in section 5b(7)(c) meets the requirements for knowledge or training in the safe use and handling of a pistol only if the program consists of not less than 8 hours of instruction and all of the following conditions are met:

(a) The program is certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization and provides 5 hours of instruction in, but is not limited to providing instruction in, all of the following:

(i) The safe storage, use, and handling of a pistol including, but not limited to, safe storage, use, and handling to protect child safety.

(ii) Ammunition knowledge, and the fundamentals of pistol shooting.

(iii) Pistol shooting positions.

(iv) Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. This portion shall be taught by an attorney or an individual trained in the use of deadly force.

(v) Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation.

(vi) All laws that apply to carrying a concealed pistol in this state.

(b) The program provides at least 3 hours of instruction on a firing range and requires firing at least 30 rounds of ammunition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links