CC situation

This is a discussion on CC situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I'm a new member here. Currently awaiting my cpl to come back from state. I have a question on a situation, because I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC situation

CC situation

Hello all, I'm a new member here. Currently awaiting my cpl to come back from state.
    I have a question on a situation, because I am moving to an area I am less familar with and does have a much larger population and its a metropolitan area.
    For instance, I'm out in the neighborhood walking my dog. Its hard, kinds of late, someone walks up asking for a couple dollars. "sorry man I dont have any" he replied "oh yeah lets see about that" puts his hand in his pocket. At this point im going for my gun, I draw and he decides to rush me. Though in this short instance I cannot see any weapon, I have one. And if he gets it from me, I may be a dead man.
    Question, shoot upon him rushing me, or dont shoot. I dont want to feel the need to hesitate in a situation because Im worried about justifying my shot more than worrying about my own well being.
    On a side note, I hope I never have to use my gun and never plan to. I just want to plan to react accordingly if the need for it shows.

thanks all for any input.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Last edited by cammo; January 23rd, 2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: that was probably too off-color

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

You need to take a SD pistol course where all your questions and concerns can be discussed. Situational awareness can help keep panhandlers at a distance.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    He's made a threat, made actions as if going for a weapon, and is attempting to carry it out. If it were me I'd shoot. If he is armed I don't see where there will be a problem. If it turns out he was not armed, then you will need to do your best to convince the DA and probably a jury that his actions were sufficient to justify lethal force. As has been said here many times before. When the police show up, keep your mouth shut until you have a lawyer present.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

RMS
    Welcome from West Kentucky. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

First welcome to the board.

Second look into getting some training, best investment you'll make if you choose to carry. We all need it, their are some real good CC classes out there.

Never want a stranger to get too close, distance is your friend. Loud voice command to stay back as you back peddle away. That being said...

You have a dog,you pull your pistol and he still rushes you. He makes a verbal threat and reaches for what you think is a weapon. You are now in a situation of fearing for you life. Pulling the trigger until the threat has stopped would be my response, hope you have a good lawyer.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

When your only tool is a hammer......

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    from Central Florida!

You need to take a SD pistol course where all your questions and concerns can be discussed. Situational awareness can help keep panhandlers at a distance.

ret
    +1. Sound advice right there
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I will pull my weapon and hopefully that will stop him, but if he charges me with my weapon drawn, then I can only see him as a threat and fire. Say nothing and get a lawyer.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Going for your weapon is akin to pulling a weapon of his own. You're in fear of your life, and it's reasonable that, should he get your weapon, he will end yours. I'd pull the trigger.

Welcome....

If you are in fear for your life because of the actions of the BG...i.e. an overt threat, coming at you....you can defend yourself.

I would read on the MI laws regarding self defense and take some defensive pistol courses...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Never want a stranger to get too close, distance is your friend. Loud voice command to stay back as you back peddle away. That being said...
    This and what Bullseye implied. Move away move away. If you can retreat, do so. Cross the street (watching them), whatever it takes.

I also support more training and reading all the recent lawyer-oriented threads.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

well thank you all for the quick responses.
    I am looking into some good SD pistol classes. Unfortunately my CCW coarse was more or less pushing alot of NRA propaganda. Not a bad thing, but I do feel like they could have spent much more time with more useful information. The only part of the class that was any sort of learning was when a couple LEO's gave a couple speeches.

I really don't know how to answer the situation you were in because:
    #1 You do not have a CC permit yet
    #2 You carry a weapon

I was prevented from carrying a weapon before I got my permit. Meanwile during all those times i spent waiting for my permit to come, I do things that I need to do during the daylight hours. Or have my husband drive me to places I need to go because he got his permit first even though he did not carry at the time, I have my gun in the console of the car. I was reprimanded for doing that so i did not go out until I got my permit. In the meantime, I practice and practice and practice.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    When your only tool is a hammer......
    Then people shouldn't go around acting like nails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links