i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night - Page 11

i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night

This is a discussion on i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ep1953 True but his parents clearly don't care or they wouldn't have bailed him out in the first place. The important thing ...

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    True but his parents clearly don't care or they wouldn't have bailed him out in the first place.

The important thing for the OP to do is stay alert and stay armed.
    Or they don't know....

Or they don't understand....

We just have to agree to disagree on this one, but yeah the OP should be more alert now (and probably is).

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieShoot View Post
    He and his three year old almost died because of that scum sucking family member. You may disagree but I'd call up his parents in a heartbeat and lay into them for bailing him out and I'd inform them that they too could consider themselves "persona non Grata" with me.
    i'm reasonably certain that sentiment wouldnt haveto be expressed to them for them to understand...and any lawyer worth his salt is gonna tell you to let it be or youre gonna screw up the leverage you already have...

we all want to think we can talk reason with unreasonable people but i can tell you from experience that people who dont want to hear what you have to say will cut off their own nose to spite their face for no good reason than to prove theres nothing you can do to change their minds...dr phil isnt real...

In this case you and your son survived so in my mind you did the right thing. I am not sure if you being armed would of made a difference or not. It does seem like it all happened pretty quick. If you would of answered the door with your hand on your gun or open carrying with no cover garment it might of made a difference but I can not see you having 2 - 4 seconds to get your gun and them not shooting you. I also agree if you would of have your gun drawn the bad guys would more then likely of took off running but that is an assumption and not all bad guys are the same. This is one of those situations where there is no right or wrong answer. It is a bummer that 16 more guns are now on the street but nobody was hurt and that is a good thing. Thank you for posting your story. It really makes one think. Stay safe...

The sad thing is that if the parents were able to bail him out of jail despite the charges, it's like he'll get, what, maybe 1 or 2 years in prison and then be out again. Idiots like this should be gone for much longer periods of time. If not forever.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    The sad thing is that if the parents were able to bail him out of jail despite the charges, it's like he'll get, what, maybe 1 or 2 years in prison and then be out again. Idiots like this should be gone for much longer periods of time. If not forever.
    i personally believe they should be turned over to the public for rehabilitation...i would assign them to target changing duty at the range...nice high fence around the area and the range wouldnt have to go cold for target changes...give em a taste of what its like on the other side of a gun barrel...

this post is satiracal in nature and is not intended as a suggestion for actual criminal rehabilitation...although many may agree with it i am certain it would be considered inhumane treatment and not as effective as coddling them and allowing them to smoothly reenter society after a short prison sentence and some sensitive pshycological evaluations...

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Best wishes in finding peace. It will come in time.

And I think that the more proactive things you do to re-secure your home and get your guns back will help with that too.

I hate to say that people mentioning a repeat visit may be right.....please keep this in mind. (I'm so sorry). Is adopting a couple of alert dogs a possibility?
    I know of a woman who walked to her front door, she did not open the door. Outside the person asked them to dial 911. As she turned, door kicked open, face beat in, purse and a few things taken.

She made police report and upgraded locks.

Few days later, she arrived home, place had been ransacked. She thinks first robber may have seen everything she had and desided to come back.

Police report, replaced door and locks, security alarm. Police promise to case the house.

Few days later, she arrived home, door kicked open, phone lines cut, big srceen TV and paintings (nothing special, but still, worth $200 to $500 each) gone. She believes robbers did not have the right car to take TV and paintings the first time.

Police report, replaced door and locks, new security system (system that uses a cell phone). Police again promise to case house.

Few days later, another attempt, damage to door.

Police report.

Few days later, while she was home, banging on door while she was home, threatening her.

Solution, and no problem after a few months, bought a gun and went to the pound to get two dogs (older one and a puppy).

At the time, I was working at a lock shop. The problem was she lived at the far end of a subdivision with several trees. She would have liked to have moved (after so many attempts) but she owed to much on the home vs the value. She often wondered if it was someone she knew (because she shared with everyone she was now armed, and it stopped).

IMO, returning after first robbery is more common then most think. I was told by a LEO that the more violent, the less likely a return, but not always. From day 1, the LEO strongly suggested a dog.

Not suggesting dog will solve it all, but if I could not sleep at night (and most likely I would not be able to after what you went through), a dog would be one of the first things I would get.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    Sad truth, prison full. Given that, at the very least, electronic monitoring at criminal's cost.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Police: 17 weapons stolen in home invasion; relative arrested

they got it wrong it was 16 weapons not 17 but still here is the story.

Ape
    Quote Originally Posted by tpurdin View Post
    Police: 17 weapons stolen in home invasion; relative arrested

they got it wrong it was 16 weapons not 17 but still here is the story.
    Any word on the other perp's being caught or at least leads to who they are?

You and your son made it through alive & that is what matters most. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Maybe. One could be far-sighted or near-sighted.

i have noticed that our justice system sucks. I have been trying to get ahold of the prosecutor all day today. they have let this guy bond out and he had aggrivated burglary, robbery and kidnapping charges and was able to bond out. he has arignment in court tomorrow at 1:30 and he is walking in the court room as you or I would in a traffic violation. This is crazy, I have been trying to get ahold of a prosecutor all day today to see why he was allowed to bond out with such serious charges, and to see if they can revoke his bond.

as of 2:38 no such luck, he is supposed to call me but if there is no call i am going to his office at 3:30 to talk to him in person. i feel like everyone has dropped the ball on this case. once the case is over i will be able to go into more detail.

Welcome to 'the system' T.

Again, I'm so sorry this happened to your family. Control what you can....such as your home, your attitude, your resolve....and dont let what you cant fix add additional stress.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Thank you for relating your story. It helps us all to see a real world life threatening situation and try to improve our own tactics to avoid the same. I am also glad to hear that you and your family are alive and well.

Lessons for me are:

- remember to retrain kids on what to do when someone comes to the door
    - re-evaluate how I stage my home defense handgun when the kids are not in bed
    - remember to trust my instincts and my wife's insticts about people

I dont carry at home because it is not comfortable and I want to wear sweats, Umbros..etc My kids are too little for me to have a handgun out unless it is properly holstered and I usually answer the door without it (even though I verify who it is first) I need to correct this problem and stage my home defense pistol holstered on a belt so that I can quickly put it on and answer the door. Hmm.. some things to do when I get home this evening...
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

Lousy low life will get his. All three for that matter. Scum like that only get so far until they hit the wall. Just to bad you had to go through that. Thank God your youngin is ok. You to.
    Give it time ,you'll calm down to a point where you can function fine. You'll never forget this but hey ,think about how lucky you are.
    I talk through my door to EVERYONE except my immediate family. I have no deadbeat cousins but if i did ,the door would not open for them either. Man your lucky. Your story also goes far in helping all who read it to be a little more paranoid of things that that they might not have been otherwise. I keep my glock holstered and within arms reach(showers included) 24 / 7. Take care and talk about it with your little one as much as possible, talking is good for him now.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links