i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night

This is a discussion on i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tpurdin Police: 17 weapons stolen in home invasion; relative arrested they got it wrong it was 16 weapons not 17 but still ...

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night

Quote Originally Posted by tpurdin View Post
    Police: 17 weapons stolen in home invasion; relative arrested

they got it wrong it was 16 weapons not 17 but still here is the story.
    It's time for me to man up and say:
    "I was wrong."
    To all of you who disagreed with me, and there were many:
    "You were right."

I always said I was in the minority, and I said I could be full of beans, and apparently, I was.

Come on, pile on.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tpurdin View Post
    i have noticed that our justice system sucks.
    Yes it does. It is broken.

Be glad you are dealing with Butler and not Hamilton though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    "I was wrong."
    "You were right."
    I think it was fair to question, and I think you were doing it respectfully. Some parts didn't add up to the "perfect burglary" for me, either, but that's because they were really stupid burglars, not because the story wasn't real.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    "I was wrong."
    "You were right."

I always said I was in the minority, and I said I could be full of beans, and apparently, I was.

Come on, pile on.
    thank you for your appology.

It takes a man to admit when he is wrong, and other men not to pile on when he does.

It also takes a man to accept his apology.

Lets all pray for T and his family and for quick justice to be served to the BGs. Please do not hesitate to get family counseling...it can make a huge difference. Take care.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Didn't and don't plan on reading through all the replies, but maybe a sturdy, well-installed chain would have kept your young child from opening the door, and bought you a few seconds.

tpurdin: I'm glad you and your family are safe. Your story has made me even more vigilant about scanning the outdoors first before I open my door.

Thanis: Thanks for the story about the lady who was in somewhat of a similar situation, though it was a slowly escalating vs one big attack. I agree about protecting yourself with a dog and a carry gun. It also seems to point out some drawbacks about a security alarm system.

I wonder if security cameras aimed at all the entrances of your house are starting to become more viable. I've seen them at Costco and they seem to be coming down in price. Criminals don't usually like to be on camera, so they'd help with the problems of thieves, assuming they don't disable them somehow. Plus they'd help you scan for dangers like tpurdin encountered.

I am very glad that you and your son are safe. You are very blessed and you did everything perfectly for that day. Proof of that is that you and your son are uninjured, physically. It does not get any better than that. I do not think I would want my child to ever have the image of me standing over three dead bodies, I'd killed. You got the very best out come possible. You did exactly the right thing

That does not mean you I we all can not learn from your experience. Regarding some of the advice the one that struck me wrong is the one about family & friends. If folks I do not see for six months are strangers I would be in world of hurt. I often do not see family members for a year and years go by before I see some of my closest friends. We will often spend a week or weekends in each others home when we do visit.
    That said I do not open the door into my home for anyone I do not expect. In fact anyone on my property uninvited and without a warrant (except the utility guy and delivery personal), gets met at the driveway to stare down the barrel of a gun or at least me with a drawn gun at low ready. I get alerted by sensors and cameras when someone is on my property

In retrospect some armchair observations. One thing comes to mind a perceived or imagined slight is often the source of the fiercest resentment. Now to be clear this is NOT to condone justify or minimize your cousins betrayal his actions IMO betraying family is among vilest offenses a human being can commit. This is more along the line of keep your friends close keep your enemies closer. Point being that if you perceive a threat it may be worthwhile to investigate what kind of threat it is. Maybe you could have arranged to meet the weirdo cousin away from home. Maybe discussed his "weirdness" even looked at getting him some rehab. That by shunning him he felt justified in making you a target. Interesting to note that he did not rob you on the occasions that he believed you were not home. In addition the lack of a mask may have been his brilliant way of saying see what happens when you dis me. On the occasions that I have needed to let someone know they're are a scum sucking maggot and need to stay away from me I have fully expect and prepare for retaliation.

Cameras : There are decent quality surveillance cameras available that hook up directly to your TV for as little as $40. Good quality "systems" can be had for $600. Ours is wireless and broadcasts onto a remote server should anything happen to destroy the on site system. We will be able to identify who ever entered our property,

Entry point: Harden your doors make sure your dead bolt goes through a steel plate into the frame. Use a chain when ever you are home latch the door.

Safe Room: Last consider a safe room or even a closet especially for your son. A place that he knows to run and hide in. Fortify it if you can but be sure it has an exterior grade door. Have a key word that he knows means for him to run to and lock the door until you ask him to open it. Make a game of it practice it often enough that it is an instinctive reaction for him and your wife.

Last you know Never Disarm and go see a Doc if only to get something to help you sleep. You are no good to your family stressed out and delirious from lack of sleep
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

This is a textbook example of two principles:

1. Bolt your safe to the floor.

2. Always carry, or guess right.

I'm glad you and your son weren't physically harmed. I'd suggest you get him, and preferably yourself, some counseling to deal with the emotions of a very traumatic experience.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

"you sure like to argue about nothing."

"Well, this is the best place to do so, right? I mean everyone is welcome to their opinion. (even if it's not a popular one) "

Edited as to not get in trouble....

Quote Originally Posted by VrodRay View Post
    "you sure like to argue about nothing."

"Well, this is the best place to do so, right? I mean everyone is welcome to their opinion. (even if it's not a popular one) "

Edited as to not get in trouble....
    thats great.

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    This is a textbook example of two principles:

1. Bolt your safe to the floor.
    How so? We all know perfectly well that had they encountered a bolted safe, they would have simply put the gun back to the OP's head and asked him the combination or to open it. Either way, the guns are gone.

Bolting the safe only works if you're broken into while you aren't there... or are dead.
    Last edited by silo; January 27th, 2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: brainfart

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    How so? We all know perfectly well that had they encountered a bolted safe, they would have simply put the gun back to the OP's head and asked him the combination or to open it. Either way, the guns are gone.

Bolting the safe only works if you're broken into why you aren't there... or are dead.
    I was very surprised that they didn't just make him open it myself....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Whooo,
    "Tim Stone",?
    I got an X nefew in that area i thought was in Indy, maybe Ohio,
    he is a worthless POS with a POS son in the Pen right now for theft.
    surly this can't be my X-relative.
    I kicked his sons ass out of my dads house. ( my dad thought he could help him)
    sent him to his dad's "Tim Stone" in 6 months was arrested for theft, and breaking into his GF mothers house. tagged as a habitual crimminal and the judge gave him 4 yrs in the Indy Polkie.
    then I kicked his other son out, for lieing and stealing from my 76 yearold dad too.
    (Dad thought he could help him too.)
    If this Tim guy was married to a Girl named "LeiLani" then it is a small world.....

I'm guessing the BG will take care of your Cuz. for snitching on them.

Why do parents bail out their worthless offspring.
    I have no kids. so i don't understand this.

Good luck to the OP.

opps.
    I just read the article and saw the pic, diffent Tim Stone........
    Last edited by lazy; January 27th, 2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: correction
    Glocks

Dude! Quite a story, thanks for posting it. Very strange to run a home invasion against people who can Id you. I do not recall seeing it in the article, but does anyone else think "drugs" when reading this? You were right, there is definitely something not right about that kid.

I would also like to know how someone who has been arrested with that list of charges is out on bond. I seem to recall you saying he lives in another state as well, how is he out?

Anyway, I wish you luck getting your stuff back, as well as your peace of mind. I doubt you could (or should) have done anything different given your position.
    Due to it's content the posting above should not have been read by anyone.

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
    --[William Ralph Inge(1860-1954)]

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Links